DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed: vision system error.

dex_

Reactions
I crashed my Mavic backwards into a building. It tumbled, but managed to recover into a hover. But then it wouldn't fly forwards due to obstacle avoidance: the forward vision system constantly thought there was an obstacle.

Aside from torn up props and some seemingly minor cosmetic damage to the shell, the major issues are:
- heavier damage/abrasions to the front right vision sensor area (see photos)
- "Vision system error" in DJI Go (see screenshots) and the constant "obstacle avoidance" issue.

DJI Go said to calibrate the vision system in DJI Assistant 2 (see screenshot). After doing so, the vision system / obstacle avoidance issue went away: it seems to fly normally again! I took it out for a careful, short, low test flight. Obstacle avoidance still appears to function normally, and handling seems fine. When I did the Assistant calibration, I saw that the right vision sensor wasn't obscured (though actually there was a slight vignette in the very top right corner of the left sensor...).

My guess is that the crash knocked the camera slightly out of alignment, and re-calibration compensated for it again. I have the DJI Care Refresh package, but I'd rather not use it if not necessary, and instead just swap out the props and keep flying my battle-scarred Mavic.

Thoughts? Can you think of potentially hidden issues that'll cause problems?

Thanks!

Main damage to the right forward vision sensor:
IMG_0214.jpg IMG_0213.jpg
You can see the asymmetry of the housing compared with the left:
IMG_0220.jpg

DJI Go screenshots:
"Vision System Error" (not just due to low light, it said this outside as well)
IMG_0216.png
"Forward Vision Sensor Calibration Error. Precision Hovering and Obstacle Avoidance may fail.
Recalibrate Vision System by using DJI Assistant 2, or use DJI GO for urgent issue."
IMG_0215.png

Hi Dex_ it would difficult to say what hidden damage is there or could come to light after a few more hours of flight and cause an inflight failure. You purchased the DJI Care Refresh for this particular reason. Our suggestion would be to go ahead and use the protection plan. You were fortunate that you were able to recover the Mavic, if you have a failure inflight and can not recover the Mavic the protection plan will not help you. You will still have one more opportunity to use the refresh plan after this repair or replacement. If we can help you out in anyway please let us know.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc