DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cue the mass cancelling of Mavic orders

I hoping that high numbers of orders will be cancelled for the new drone and I will be getting my Mavic Pro real soon. But you guys need to upgrade, really... where else will they get beta testers??

New dealer DJI certified dealer just open in VA he has Mavics for sale I just got one today.

Nobody's minimizing the Mavic's imaging capabilities. Compromises had to be made to accommodate the size and form factor. Mavic's capabilities are very good for a drone that size. Not in the same league as the P4P, but still very good. And is often quoted on this forum, the best drone is the one you have with you.
Camera technology is so good now that in the hands of a professional and good conditions, most photos will be hard to tell apart unless you pixel peep or look at exif data.

We live in a world where attention span is short. You can post a dozen interesting aerial photos on Facebook and people will just see them once and give u a like or a "that's beautiful" comment and then get back to their lives.

The people who appreciate photos and actually spend more time looking at photos will look at it and understand that the photo was taken with certain limitations and also compressed with the facebook's compression algorithms.

I do photography and if I see a drone shot I'm not gonna say that's too noisy, or the pixel density isn't good enough, or there is too much chromatic abberations, or you need more megapixels.

End of the day the Mavic takes good pictures for its compact size. Pictures good enough for our social media generation.

Yes of course on paper the p4p is "better" but how many of us are experts who can discern it?

The only reason to argue that it is better is to convince your self that you need an excuse to buy it that's all.

Camera technology is so good now that in the hands of a professional and good conditions, most photos will be hard to tell apart unless you pixel peep or look at exif data.

We live in a world where attention span is short. You can post a dozen interesting aerial photos on Facebook and people will just see them once and give u a like or a "that's beautiful" comment and then get back to their lives.

The people who appreciate photos and actually spend more time looking at photos will look at it and understand that the photo was taken with certain limitations and also compressed with the facebook's compression algorithms.

I do photography and if I see a drone shot I'm not gonna say that's too noisy, or the pixel density isn't good enough, or there is too much chromatic abberations, or you need more megapixels.

End of the day the Mavic takes good pictures for its compact size. Pictures good enough for our social media generation.

Yes of course on paper the p4p is "better" but how many of us are experts who can discern it?

The only reason to argue that it is better is to convince your self that you need an excuse to buy it that's all.

I'll echo this. As a photographer I spend a lot less time thinking about pixels and a lot more thinking about the artist's intent. The composition. The subject. The use of color. When you get down to what really makes a photo or video good, the technical aspects are LOW on the list IMO.

The Mavic main draw is portability. It is the best foldable drone on the market. P4p amazing as it is wont get me to return my Mavic. When I'm ready to bump up my pixel count P5 it is..

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

A photographer who can't discern better dynamic range and lower noise? Hmmmm....

As a photographer, I don't disagree that the camera is a means of expressing artist intent. But of course, its capability affects the flexibility with which you can capture that. The only reason to argue against a better camera is to convince yourself that you don't need to buy it. That's all.

Last edited:
It still needs upwards obstacle avoidance like the Inspire 2 is touting. I have read several people that lost their Phantom 4 due to the front obstacle avoidance working, gaining altitude to avoid an obstacle on the return home, and hitting something above it. Therefore it fell to its demise, or disappeared into the ocean. I think front, rear, and top sensors would be best. The side sensors aren't really needed.

Side sensors are good for bird protection. I get chased by birds quite often. If they take out one of my props, we are both done.

A photographer who can't discern better dynamic range and lower noise? Hmmmm....

As a photographer, I don't disagree that the camera is a means of expressing artist intent. But of course, its capability affects the flexibility with which you can capture that. The only reason to argue against a better camera is to convince yourself that you don't need to buy it. That's all.
Are u telling me seriously you can discern photos taken by a professional in good conditions on Facebook?

Perhaps on a calibrated screen in a dedicated photo editing programme you might. But who is gonna care when most people post pictures on Facebook?

If you are telling me that you are some big shot photographer who's works is gonna be scrutinised by other professionals for 10mins per photo then of course, I'm sure the 1" sensor of the P4 Pro is leaps and bounds over the smaller mavic sensor.

Sure.......

i dont think the object avoidance sensors will help much with birds.. but better object avoidance is the other thing the P4P has over the mavic..

so we have better object avoidance and a better camera vs better portability including stealth convenience.. the mavic being less visible and less noisy..

you takes your pick and makes your choice.. different horses for different courses.. :)

trog

Are u telling me seriously you can discern photos taken by a professional in good conditions on Facebook?

Perhaps on a calibrated screen in a dedicated photo editing programme you might. But who is gonna care when most people post pictures on Facebook?

If you are telling me that you are some big shot photographer who's works is gonna be scrutinised by other professionals for 10mins per photo then of course, I'm sure the 1" sensor of the P4 Pro is leaps and bounds over the smaller mavic sensor.

Sure.......
Are you telling me that all you do is publish on Facebook?

I agree then. If all you're doing is publishing online, a Mavic will be good enough for snapshots of your cat. Otherwise, yes...there are professional photographers who actually have their images printed, or otherwise published where their work IS indeed scrutinized.

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I inferred that you were a professional photographer, not a YouTuber/Facebooker. Yes, the P4P is likely more camera than you need.

Mavic's capabilties are a bit better than that of a P4 (no not of the pro version) .. The only compromise is the lesser FOV.. which I actually see as a plus together with the tap-to-focus so that you can have depth In your picture.. The only negatives I can find about that is that people forget to use it.. duh..The P4-pro is just a scale up but still nowhere near a professional DSLR or video cam.. An in-between could be the Inspire.. I am actually rethinking my Mavic order... but the idea of not always having it with me unless I plan some shots makes me doubt the whole thing. The Mavic is still able to produce pro- TV an web content and almost no-one has a 4K TV to get all the value out of it.. With 4K RAW files a package like "premiere-pro' or 'resolve' will get you the quality you need, asuming you know how to make cool shots of course...

Are you telling me that all you do is publish on Facebook?

I agree then. If all you're doing is publishing online, a Mavic will be good enough for snapshots of your cat. Otherwise, yes...there are professional photographers who actually have their images printed, or otherwise published where their work IS indeed scrutinized.

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I inferred that you were a professional photographer, not a YouTuber/Facebooker. Yes, the P4P is likely more camera than you need.
Don't need to sound so sarcastic. I use the Mavic and phantom drones for photos to be published on Facebook. and I use my full fledge cameras for more serious work.

I dont need to be told that professional photographers will have their works examined in detail, that's what they do. And I'm sure they won't even use a phantom 4 pro because the 1" sensor might not be good enough.

This whole thing started because you came into a Mavic forum and started to say how you will choose the p4pro over the Mavic. As if the 1" sensor is such an improvement over the mavics sensor. That is what irks me.

"Oh I'm not gonna get he Mavic now because the p4pro has a 1" sensor and it's gonna give me xxx stops more dynamic range and I can crop more now because I have xxx megapixels."

Right. I'm not going to get the Mavic now because the P4P has a 1 inch sensor. It's a better camera with more dynamic range and better crop, and I need that worse than I need a drone that will fold up into my purse.

Right. I'm not going to get the Mavic now because the P4P has a 1 inch sensor. It's a better camera with more dynamic range and better crop, and I need that worse than I need a drone that will fold up into my purse.

Well I will have both ... bottom line is I think I will get more shots with the Mavic because I don't go anywhere without it. P4p will be used when I have time to plan a shot.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Well I will have both ... bottom line is I think I will get more shots with the Mavic because I don't go anywhere without it. P4p will be used when I have time to plan a shot.

"The best drone is the one you have with you". I agree. If, at some point, portability trumps photography for me then it's good to know that I can have a qualtiy drone to fall back on.

"The best drone is the one you have with you". I agree. If, at some point, portability trumps photography for me then it's good to know that I can have a qualtiy drone to fall back on.

portability of some sort will always trump photography otherwise we would all be using full frame senors.. its all a question of degree and that oft quoted "the best camera is the one you have with you" stuff..

having seen many mavic videos.. i cant say as i am entirely happy with the video quality.. i have the mavic on order and will leave it at that.. but it might be a mstake i will only get to find out when it eventually arrives.. :)

trog

ps.. for what its worth i permanently carry a fixed wing camera plane in the roof box on my truck.. it dosnt come out as often as i would like it too is all i can say..

Last edited:
Reactions: J v P
portability of some sort will always trump photography otherwise we would all be using full frame senors..

Portability absolutely doesn't "always trump photography", otherwise we would all be using just our cell phones.

Anyway, in my world, "portability of some sort" includes the Phantom. I cancelled my Mavic order on the day they announced the Phantom 4 Pro (to get back on topic).

I haven't decided yet between a P4(P) and a MP.
One advantage of the MP is easy of use/ready to go, but once you are in the
air only the specs are important.
The greatest dissatisfiers of the MP for me are the limitations given by the controller: tablet size and sun screen. The phantoms outperform the MP with respect to this.

They offer such didn't things that it's hard to choose. It might end up having to be both. Trouble is one will probably end up gathering dust with the other getting a lot of use.

However i can probably buy both from the sale of my inspire pro black. They would cover almost all the positives of the inspire pro whilst cancelling out most of the negatives. I could have both systems in a backpack half the size of the inspire cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rene van der Meer

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002