DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Day 2 on Mavic - failure and crash

What he is saying for those not familiar with the 176_36 or DAT files is that when we look at the record of the flight we do not see any information being recorded as to how much CURRENT (Amps) is being used by the Mavics motors or any of its systems. This also means that we have no power reading from the individual Mavics motors. The Data is just blank!

I think Budwalker is being cautious because we have never seen this before and we do not know why it has happened. Last night I looked at several other logs and they all had power info but this one was unique.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

Well it means that either something was broken in the DJI software and it just stopped recording the data. That could also mean the the CPU had no idea how much power was being drawn by each motor and that could have triggered a shutdown in mid air.

It could also mean that the Data was being monitored and recorded but not stored in the right places for DATCON to pick them up.

It could also just be a recording issue caused by some kind of firmware glitch and it had no bearing on the crash whatsoever. IMHO it's a little too coincidental that we find this odd log info in a Mavic with a properly latched battery that just shut off in Mid Air and crashed. As Budwalker said this is definitely a case of a defective Mavic and it seems to be a one off incident that is most likely caused by something going wrong with the firmware when it was updated by the DJI software.

Rob

Now they finally unpacked my drone at DJI. But they want to keep the suspence just a bit longer and have updated my status page with “Some required information is missing for data analysis. We will contact you as soon as possible.”

Wonder what that could be. I think I already gave them all the info I can. I synced the app and I was told not to include the SD card.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
So guys after reading the whole topic I have to say that I'm a bit afraid to fly my Mavic!
I have the Mavic since 2 weeks now and I flew it 2 times. The first time was a flight about 10 Min with beginners mode activated (30M max altitude and 30M longest distance). It was a "scary" and pleasant surprise at the same time!
Second attempt after a couple of days again at the beginning with beginners mode activated! After the first 5 minutes I deactivate the beginners mode and flew to 100M altitude (I can't go higher cause of the regulation in Germany) and 500M distance and before the battery hit 30% I returned home.
The second time I wasn't afraid and I was satisfied from the results (flight, how easy is to operate the Mavic and of course the Video and the pictures!)

I have the fly more combo but I used only the battery that came with the Mavic and I can't understand how some people doesn't secure the battery properly on the body of the Mavic because when you put the battery back you can here the "click" noise from the clumps.

The 2 flights was done with the latest firmware update and using an iPhone.

I have to say that today I was about to fly AC but maybe tomorrow [emoji51]!

I very sorry for the people that they lost/destroy their Mavics.
And to be honest it's better for all to have the Care Refresh. After all we payed 1500€ why not to give 100€ extra for the Care Refresh.....

So guys after reading the whole topic I have to say that I'm a bit afraid to fly my Mavic!
I have the Mavic since 2 weeks now and I flew it 2 times. The first time was a flight about 10 Min with beginners mode activated (30M max altitude and 30M longest distance). It was a "scary" and pleasant surprise at the same time!
Second attempt after a couple of days again at the beginning with beginners mode activated! After the first 5 minutes I deactivate the beginners mode and flew to 100M altitude (I can't go higher cause of the regulation in Germany) and 500M distance and before the battery hit 30% I returned home.
The second time I wasn't afraid and I was satisfied from the results (flight, how easy is to operate the Mavic and of course the Video and the pictures!)

I have the fly more combo but I used only the battery that came with the Mavic and I can't understand how some people doesn't secure the battery properly on the body of the Mavic because when you put the battery back you can here the "click" noise from the clumps.

The 2 flights was done with the latest firmware update and using an iPhone.

I have to say that today I was about to fly AC but maybe tomorrow [emoji51]!

I very sorry for the people that they lost/destroy their Mavics.
And to be honest it's better for all to have the Care Refresh. After all we payed 1500€ why not to give 100€ extra for the Care Refresh.....

Perhaps you could try wiggling a battery around after inserting it into your Mavic. One poster here noticed a lot of movement when doing this. Enough to possibly cause a battery disconnection. I've checked this on mine (produced in Nov) and there's definitely no large amount of play when I try.

Reactions: dsmpampis
Hi,
My mavic was built march 23rd 2017.I have had 9 flights with all but 2 in beginner mode.The other 2 flights have been in opti mode with a toggle to sport mode for less than 1 minute each flight.Touch wood but I have had zero issues and the mavic has flown like a dream compared to my previous p3 advanced.
The battery has no play at all and seems to be very secure.

Scott.

Now they finally unpacked my drone at DJI. But they want to keep the suspence just a bit longer and have updated my status page with “Some required information is missing for data analysis. We will contact you as soon as possible.”

Wonder what that could be. I think I already gave them all the info I can. I synced the app and I was told not to include the SD card.

They are probably looking for the missing 176_36 record :)

Reactions: JLane and taus
Update on my case: After some long days of waiting...waiting...waiting... and even trying to contact DJI and getting brushed off I finally get some real progress.

They will do a free warranty repair. Actually, I wanted a new craft but I am happy just to get anything after experiencing the level of support.

Their remark: Warranty unit, battery cut off. A new craft, gimbal, props and battery are required.

So I guess we will never know what's up with the 176_36 record...

I will probably get another referb. craft or a brand new one because they are going to exchange almost everything.

It will be a 596,70 EURO "repair" including EST board, Core Board, Compass board, Battery, Mavic Pro Gimbal and Camera, Wifi board. What's left?? the clear plastic Gimbal protector??? :-D

Once more: Thanks for your help and support in here!

Update on my case: After some long days of waiting...waiting...waiting... and even trying to contact DJI and getting brushed off I finally get some real progress.

They will do a free warranty repair. Actually, I wanted a new craft but I am happy just to get anything after experiencing the level of support.

Their remark: Warranty unit, battery cut off. A new craft, gimbal, props and battery are required.

I will probably get another referb. craft or a brand new one because they are going to exchange almost everything.

It will be a 596,70 EURO "repair" including EST board, Core Board, Compass board, Battery, Mavic Pro Gimbal and Camera, Wifi board. What's left?? the clear plastic Gimbal protector??? :-D

Well that's a relief! However, that makes yours the 3rd case of in-flight shutdown that I know of where DJI has agreed to repair/replace it under warranty. Seems to me like they must be aware that something's wrong with these Mavics, but they're not likely to tell us or admit it.

Reactions: DanielDuarte

Hello
The repair and cost was DJI's account.
Surely they know that the error was from Firmware v01.03.0550.
Mine's still only yesterday and they started reviewing the Mavic. Which also dropped after I upgrade to firmware v01.03.0550.

Well that's a relief! However, that makes yours the 3rd case of in-flight shutdown that I know of where DJI has agreed to repair/replace it under warranty. Seems to me like they must be aware that something's wrong with these Mavics, but they're not likely to tell us or admit it.
Hello
Mine's still only yesterday and they started reviewing the Mavic. Which also dropped after I upgrade to firmware v01.03.0550

Hello
Mine's still only yesterday and they started reviewing the Mavic. Which also dropped after I upgrade to firmware v01.03.0550

Actually the firmware was just upgraded to .0600 prior to the crash.

Reactions: DanielDuarte
Can we ask for a Built date on said Mavic??

Sad to hear another loss.... strengthens my case to sell mine!!

Build date: 24th of March.

But I hope you will not sell you Mavic because mine crashed. Users who crash use the forums a lot! So hopefully (probably) most Mavics are working just fine! And even thou I have to wait 4-5 weeks, I will hopefully end up getting a free repair.

Build date: 24th of March.

But I hope you will not sell you Mavic because mine crashed. Users who crash use the forums a lot! So hopefully (probably) most Mavics are working just fine! And even thou I have to wait 4-5 weeks, I will hopefully end up getting a free repair.
1. I am located in a place there is no cover and if my bird goes everything goes...
2. its not a walkman that stop playing music..... thats a flying machine!! if that thing fall on someone head I could be paying for him all my life !!! hopefully he wont die !
if that thing is not fail proof then.....

If I get a new one I am really sceptic flying over populated areas at all now that my Mavic just died mid air with 72% battery left. Loosing it is one thing, but dropping it onto someone because it just dies is not something I like to even think about.

Reactions: allufewi and JLane
If I get a new one I am really sceptic flying over populated areas at all now that my Mavic just died mid air with 72% battery left. Loosing it is one thing, but dropping it onto someone because it just dies is not something I like to even think about.

Yes. Agree! But you should never fly over a place where people are directly under the drone. No consumer drones are that safe...

I can tell from experience that a Mavic hits hard! Just the sound of the crash from 200 meters away was like a brick landing.

I see videos online all the time where people fly over cities like it is ok. I think it is too much risk.

So if that was your intended usage, then I think yes - you should sell it.

Judging by most videos shot with DJI's I assume not many are aware that it can drop from the sky without pilot error :)

Do you guys following fb group?
Every day more incidents, same claim
Mavic just drop out from sky

Just to wrap up... I finally got my new Mavic. They stole my props but that is ok... I can buy new. It's brand new machine with new serial and new battery. Works great! I crashed on the 7th of april and got a new bird today on 3. of may.

Still not 100% sure what went wrong, but they say "power failure".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078