DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI announcement on May 15

So basically the Karma was a huge flop because DJI beat it to the market with a rushed (allegedly) Karma rip-off and some shady commercial practises. And not because the Karma sucked and was plagued with REAL, serious flaws and failures that totally killed expectations and never delivered on its promise of greatness.

Yes, in a nutshell. The Karma did not suck were it not for the rushed "coincidental" appearance of the Mavic. The Karma would have been a huge commercial success, it was on its path to greatness. Blindsided by DJI, whos predatory and evident business practices were aimed at nothing but to kill the Karma. Business is business I guess. But there are ways to do business other than the way DJI did it.

Also not because GoPro had no track record in making reliable drones or being an innovative, revolutionary company while DJI was already well established in that scene and advancing in large strides - so much so that 9.5 out of 10 pilots decided it was better to take chances with the dodgy chinese and pay in advance for a foldable drone that wasn't even out there yet, than to put money on an "amazingly released" one that basically never took off (literally speaking here) and was even deemed "dangerous"by many including its manufacturer.

Again you are correct. Many people invested in a Mavic expecting to receive it in a week and then got nothing, including no interest on their money, for as much as 6 months. Dodgy business practice? Im 100% sure of that.

Well time proved it was a wiser decision to go with DJI, despite all the rage that went on with the delays and all at the time. The Mavic is already on its successful second gen and... well, how much is worth a Karma today? How many flying around?

Were you one of the people who gave DJI their money and then got nothing for months? Thousands of people did, and gave up on the Karma because of DJIs promise of shipping within 1 week. Rushed to market, not ready for distribution, just so they could outsell GoPro. People dont forget things like that. But if you werent there, you wouldnt know how it felt.

GoPro can't beat back at DJI because, well... they can't. It's tough but that's a fact.

Facts are not based on opinion. Go Pro is on track to have a record year, based on its first quarter performance. What does "GoPro cant" even mean? They always have, currently are, and will continue to do so. They have a loyal customer base.

I don't hold much faith in GoPro. I wish they could come up with something truly amazing, but I just can't see it based on what they've been doing pretty much since they started.

Hmmm, they have been the leader and have dominated the market in action cams for, hmmm, what, 15 years? GoPro has now pared their company down to a profit making, innovative, investor loving size. Projections are incredible for this year. DJI, on the other hand, is coming off an enormous fraud that could very possibly have wiped out all its working capital. R and D costs need working capital to function. Instead of worrying yourself over GoPros future, maybe leave yourself some worry for DJI's future.

Manning vs. Brady
Apple vs. PC
GoPro vs. DJI

There will always be passionate debate on these!

(I did not know about the delays to get Mavics, that sucks. I was still enjoying my Phantom 3 and Spark then, and eventually got a used Mavic Pro for $500, saving for Mavic Pro 2 Zoom now!)

Manning vs. Brady
Apple vs. PC
GoPro vs. DJI

There will always be passionate debate on these!

(I did not know about the delays to get Mavics, that sucks. I was still enjoying my Phantom 3 and Spark then, and eventually got a used Mavic Pro for $500, saving for Mavic Pro 2 Zoom now!)

;)

You were smart and patient. By waiting to buy it, you ended up saving $500 on the Mavic and are able to enjoy it. These days, you are doing to right thing again. You waited for the M2Z to be released, come down in price, and now you can actually buy a low time used one for a big discount. Patience is a virtue, and a money saver.

;) You were smart and patient. ..... You waited for the M2Z to be released, come down in price, and now you can actually buy a low time used one for a big discount. Patience is a virtue, and a money saver.
That's the plan! :) (but patience isn't easy!)

@kidologist brings up a very interesting point. I wonder how many people here are going to go out and buy the new "leaked" DJI action cam right away? Will there be crossovers from GoPro to DJI just because its DJI? It will be interesting to see how many people will be saying, "I bought a new DJI Action cam, and sold/kept my GoPro" and for what reasons they come up with.

Reactions: kidologist
The specs of this cam have not really been mentioned or shown except from the Chinese version.
In English.
8A905147-CD11-4870-8F71-FA812726412F.jpeg
Apparently it will not need a waterproof housing. Or will It?
If it does not have the stabilization feature of the GPH 7, It’s not going to be a great start for DJI in this market. Hopefully I’m wrong. We will see.

Edit to the following,
Of coarse it will have digital stabilization! What was I thinking? It would not make since if they did not include this feature to compete!
Who knows, DJI as a Chinese company, has stolen intellectual interest from GoPro for years! They have been dissecting all of their technology for a long time!
As they say, It’s a better knock off with the DJI Name! Will you buy it because It’s a DJI product? Or better features? What maybe added that’s better than GoPro?
Perhaps, that maybe DJI’s strategy!

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
Yes, in a nutshell. The Karma did not suck were it not for the rushed "coincidental" appearance of the Mavic. The Karma would have been a huge commercial success, it was on its path to greatness. Blindsided by DJI, whos predatory and evident business practices were aimed at nothing but to kill the Karma. Business is business I guess. But there are ways to do business other than the way DJI did it.

It wasn't DJI who killed the Karma. It wasn't the Mavic. Basically GoPro released a flawed, faulty, unreliable, unusable, DANGEROUS drone to start with. And that's it. They had to call it back and end it right then and there. Path to greatness? It was a massive **** up from start to end. Period. You can spin this any way you want, and I'm not saying DJI was open and ethic in the way they released the MP, but that's up to the customer to judge. And in the end the Mavic delivered. Looking back, objectively, one things is clear: pilots who spent money on the GoPro drone ended up making a much worse deal than pilots who had to wait to get their Mavic's, all things considered. That's for sure.

Again you are correct. Many people invested in a Mavic expecting to receive it in a week and then got nothing, including no interest on their money, for as much as 6 months. Dodgy business practice? Im 100% sure of that.

Were you one of the people who gave DJI their money and then got nothing for months? Thousands of people did, and gave up on the Karma because of DJIs promise of shipping within 1 week. Rushed to market, not ready for distribution, just so they could outsell GoPro. People dont forget things like that. But if you werent there, you wouldnt know how it felt.

I waited a bit, happily flying my old and trusty P3P watching the debacle and hysteria go by. I'm a grown up. I knew the Mavic would be worth all that hassle, based on my experience with DJI since the FC40. And I was right, because it was groundbreaking. OK some kids cried in despair for not getting their new drone right away. So what. I'm sure everyone survived fine. Once everyone got their Mavic everything was fine, for that meant the end of the nightmare (and unbearable suffering for the kids LOL) whereas getting your Karma was the start of it. LOL.

So yes DJI was a victim of the MP success and also paid for their way of doing business. That's DJI, love it and take it as it is, or hate it and fly a worse drone. Or assemble your own and stop whining. The film was ugly, but the last impression is the lasting impression and the Mavic Pro delivered in spades. It was the one and only time DJI screwed up like that anyway. I'm not excusing them, I'm just very happy whenever I'm flying one of their drones and that's the bottom line to me.

Facts are not based on opinion. Go Pro is on track to have a record year, based on its first quarter performance. What does "GoPro cant" even mean? They always have, currently are, and will continue to do so. They have a loyal customer base.

I don't own GoPro stock so I don't care. But I do care where I spend my money, and GoPro isn't getting any from me because basically I can get a better, smaller, more advanced and modern and lighter action camera with stabilised image and loads more functionality for that same money. Saying GoPro lives on thanks to loyal customers is akin to saying GoPro is living on the past, hanging on thanks to convenience and comfort of a rather restrict client base that can change at the snap of a finger. We've seen that countless times already. That's not how a tech company survives these days, but what do I know and we'll see where that takes them eh?

Hmmm, they have been the leader and have dominated the market in action cams for, hmmm, what, 15 years? GoPro has now pared their company down to a profit making, innovative, investor loving size. Projections are incredible for this year. DJI, on the other hand, is coming off an enormous fraud that could very possibly have wiped out all its working capital. R and D costs need working capital to function. Instead of worrying yourself over GoPros future, maybe leave yourself some worry for DJI's future.

That's a romantic way to say that a tech company shrunk down thanks to lack of real innovation and some really bad moves. Fine, I'm not saying that's bad but GoPro is public and I'm sure the investors and shareholders would love it was the other way instead.

The action camera market is saturated, so much so everyone here is discussing why DJI even bother releasing something like this Osmo Action. Maybe they know something we don't. There are buckets of chinese Hero knock-offs offering the same functionality for half the price anyway. What's the future in that I wonder, but again what do I know.

The Hero7 is basically an updated Hero3. Nobody is doing anything new with it for a long time. Nothing that wasn't being done in 2009 already, or even before. You still have to point it, it still won't shoot acceptable low light stabilised videos, you still can't see what's being filmed until you come back home and DL the footage. Of course there's still market for something like that. After all it's a good, reliable, rugged action camera, with loads of great accessories. But it's been since almost the start almost 20 yrs ago. I love mine, but honestly don't feel the least bit inclined to buy a new Hero, not with all the options available out there.

Peace!

Last edited:
Deffo action camera..

D6LvWsqUYAEvEvd.jpg:large

It wasn't DJI who killed the Karma. It wasn't the Mavic. Basically GoPro released a flawed, faulty, unreliable, unusable, DANGEROUS drone to start with. And that's it. They had to call it back and end it right then and there. Path to greatness? It was a massive **** up from start to end. Period. You can spin this any way you want, and I'm not saying DJI was open and ethic in the way they released the MP, but that's up to the customer to judge. And in the end the Mavic delivered. Looking back, objectively, one things is clear: pilots who spent money on the GoPro drone ended up making a much worse deal than pilots who had to wait to get their Mavic's, all things considered. That's for sure.

I waited a bit, happily flying my old and trusty P3P watching the debacle and hysteria go by. I'm a grown up. I knew the Mavic would be worth all that hassle, based on my experience with DJI since the FC40. And I was right, because it was groundbreaking. OK some kids cried in despair for not getting their new drone right away. So what. I'm sure everyone survived fine. Once everyone got their Mavic everything was fine, for that meant the end of the nightmare (and unbearable suffering for the kids LOL) whereas getting your Karma was the start of it. LOL.

So yes DJI was a victim of the MP success and also paid for their way of doing business. That's DJI, love it and take it as it is, or hate it and fly a worse drone. Or assemble your own and stop whining. The film was ugly, but the last impression is the lasting impression and the Mavic Pro delivered in spades. It was the one and only time DJI screwed up like that anyway. I'm not excusing them, I'm just very happy whenever I'm flying one of their drones and that's the bottom line to me.

I don't own GoPro stock so I don't care. But I do care where I spend my money, and GoPro isn't getting any from me because basically I can get a better, smaller, more advanced and modern and lighter action camera with stabilised image and loads more functionality for that same money. Saying GoPro lives on thanks to loyal customers is akin to saying GoPro is living on the past, hanging on thanks to convenience and comfort of a rather restrict client base that can change at the snap of a finger. We've seen that countless times already. That's not how a tech company survives these days, but what do I know and we'll see where that takes them eh?

That's a romantic way to say that a tech company shrunk down thanks to lack of real innovation and some really bad moves. Fine, I'm not saying that's bad but GoPro is public and I'm sure the investors and shareholders would love it was the other way instead.

The action camera market is saturated, so much so everyone here is discussing why DJI even bother releasing something like this Osmo Action. Maybe they know something we don't. There are buckets of chinese Hero knock-offs offering the same functionality for half the price anyway. What's the future in that I wonder, but again what do I know.

The Hero7 is basically an updated Hero3. Nobody is doing anything new with it for a long time. Nothing that wasn't being done in 2009 already, or even before. You still have to point it, it still won't shoot acceptable low light stabilised videos, you still can't see what's being filmed until you come back home and DL the footage. Of course there's still market for something like that. After all it's a good, reliable, rugged action camera, with loads of great accessories. But it's been since almost the start almost 20 yrs ago. I love mine, but honestly don't feel the least bit inclined to buy a new Hero, not with all the options available out there.

Peace!
I have one word for you. Brevity.

Reactions: Sounds_Good_Bro
Wait wait wait, see the bigger picture was last year. Are they releasing the mavic 2 again? Joking

LOL true! But then I guess that seeing the bigger picture never gets old or is a bad thing right? ??

Definitely something to look at as an alternative for the gopro, which is going to fail as a company if they don't expand beyond action cam market that's already saturated.
I wonder how are they going to do 8x slomo with only 60fps but I guess it's 240fps in 1080p? Edit: Yup! 3840 × 2160 × 60 = 497,664,000 = 1920 × 1080 × 240 in terms of raw pixel rate from the image sensor.

Let's hope it doesn't have "no photo zones". ? female voice "Please update No-Selfie-Zone database."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: monchan
They already have a gimbal under the same brand line, it's safe to assume it's going to be sold as a combo. I don't really see them coming out with an integrated gimbal for this and saying "yeah just strap it on your bike helmet" since it's a bit harder to make a gimbal waterproof or dustproof :p

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99