DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Care

DJI Care Refresh exclusion terms:
6) Abrasions and shell damage that do not affect the performance of the product.

If it were me, I would not use 1 of the 2 allotted crashes for this very lucky cosmetic damage only claim. The body shells are inexpensive and DJI will add 1 or 2 hours labor ($65/hr). Have your friends pick up the cost without you losing out on the Refresh benefits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
This is the scond Mavic I've seen with a bullet hole and both of those holes were at the front which to me seems the hardest part to shoot!

Reactions: Former Member
6) Abrasions and shell damage that do not affect the performance of the product.

If it were me, I would not use 1 of the 2 allotted crashes for this very lucky cosmetic damage only claim. The body shells are inexpensive and DJI will add 1 or 2 hours labor ($65/hr). Have your friends pick up the cost without you losing out on the Refresh benefits.

Hmmm good point. Question, is this something that I can do? Will it void the warranty if I buy the parts and fix it?

So I have an interesting situation. I had the Mavic Pro at a buddy's house. He said, "fly over to my friend's house," so I did. Well his friend shot at the drone and caused damage. Luckily, the drone still functions.

Will DJI Care cover this sort of damage?
No way I'd stick DJI with the bill, even if I DID have "Care"... He damaged it, he should replace it, regardless of whether it flies or not! Why or WHY would you let that kid off the hook???

And, I'd definitely file a police report, as well. Pellet guns/bb guns can do harm to humans as well as random discharges may just be the basis for "Endangering Public Safety" charges. Irresponsible on his part whether or not there was other property or people damage.

As for an insurance claim, 1) if he doesn't make his own personal payment, 2) the claim should be against HIS insurance, not yours 3) and if you contact your insurance company, IT should go after him or his company. Your company should not be responsible for his behavior. Geez... no wonder rates are so high with THAT attitude. Someone needs to learn the basics of what insurance is for!

Last edited:
PM Thunderdones for an estimated cost. He is a DJI service center.
I would not take the chance of tampering with the device.
With Thunderdrones you will end up with a serviced device that remains fully eligible for future warranty or refresh claims.

Last edited:

Thank you for mentioning me @wowography

When I saw exclusion #6 in your post, I was thinking, "I wonder why DJI doesnt cover drones that get shot at, so that's why they dont cover "shell" damage." Seriously, on the first read, I thought it meant that "shell damage" meant damage from gun shells lol... Must have had guns on my mind.

What a bizarre story ..

Bizarre yes. Unfortunate as well for the OP who appears to be a nice person who did not intend to bother anyone. He was just being a good friend and take a surprise picture for a friends friend. Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

Reactions: kakao
DJI could use it as a testament to how durable their devices are.

Perfectly placed ‘round’.
Misses compass board by a smidgen. Travels back to the forward facing visioning sensor arm and ribbon cables. Exits through the roof without tearing gimbal control cables. In the immortal words of Jerry Seinfeld ‘That is one Magic Loogie!’

Attachments

• IMG_3800.JPG
    IMG_3800.JPG
    360.1 KB · Views: 38
Misses compass board by a smidgen. Travels back to the forward facing visioning sensor arm and ribbon cables. Exits through the roof without tearing gimbal control cables. In the immortal words of Jerry Seinfeld ‘That is one Magic Loogie!’

Wow. Thanks for that picture.

Reactions: wowography

Yes but I dont think it was Keith Hernandez or Roger McDowell who did it this time, and no grassy knoll.

Reactions: wowography
I wonder if there are differences in state laws regarding trespassing. I used to live in Texas on a decent sized piece of land. I was totally fenced. The sheriff told me to put "No Trespassing" signs along the fence line so that from one sign you could see the next and there were no gaps. Then, according to Texas law (at least back then), if someone is on my property I can shoot them because they have been warned and the signs were posted in plain view. I know that from the air you cannot see the signs but I wonder if the same concept of defending one's castle would still apply.

He should buy you a drone. You should really not have to use your DJI refresh for it. FAA has full control over the airspace in the US. If he shot your aircraft (people forget these are legally aircraft) it is a federal crime.

So after he pays you for it, you should have it reported to the police and remind them that it is a registered aircraft and it would fall into federal law.

I am also a pilot for aircraft and the FAA needs to get much more aggressive at prosecuting these people.

If anyone shoots at my aircraft, I will try my hardest to make sure they have a nice Felony conviction on their record when they try to get a job.

2. Aircraft Sabotage (18 U.S.C. 32) | USAM | Department of Justice

It Is A Federal Crime To Shoot Down A Drone, Says FAA

He should buy you a drone. You should really not have to use your DJI refresh for it. FAA has full control over the airspace in the US. If he shot your aircraft (people forget these are legally aircraft) it is a federal crime.

So after he pays you for it, you should have it reported to the police and remind them that it is a registered aircraft and it would fall into federal law.

I am also a pilot for aircraft and the FAA needs to get much more aggressive at prosecuting these people.

If anyone shoots at my aircraft, I will try my hardest to make sure they have a nice Felony conviction on their record when they try to get a job.

2. Aircraft Sabotage (18 U.S.C. 32) | USAM | Department of Justice

It Is A Federal Crime To Shoot Down A Drone, Says FAA

I get it. I'm an airline pilot, so I know the regs too. But friendship is worth more than money. (Not the shooter's friendship, but the friend who sent me over there is a good friend.)

It's all good. The repaired device is being delivered on Monday.

Thanks all!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arny