DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles FINALLY HERE!!!!

They won't do 3D, VR or 360° but will be able to work as a simple 2D Full HD HDMI monitor.
Thank you, I had a hunch that was the case. It's no worries, I still have my little simple Google cardboard VR headset I can use. Strangely, I was reading about some of the iPhone HDMI adapters and apparently a lot of them don't work with Netflix or other paid video services.

Hopefully there is one out there that will work.
A value added feature would be using this with watching movies from the iPhone or iPad

The original Apple one?

Ordered mine 4/24/4:00 pm. Here it is 35 minutes later and they are still not here..I hate waiting.. ;) (since I couldn't be the first to order them, I figured I could at least be the first to complain about the wait)
Just wait until you have to send them in to DJI repair after what a day of use.... Then the waiting game really begins!! :) Endless emails to an endless list of clueless DJI techs with off the wall answers... Oh what joy awaits you!!

Naive question: what can these do that a good phone in a good viewer can't do, theoretically? Is there something fundamentally better about them or is it just a matter of time until somebody will create the software solution to allow me to do this with my Pixel phone or iPhone?

It is correct that Netflix strictly restricts HDMI output, it only works of the whole chain is HDCP compliant. Most adapters probably aren't, not sure any of them are actually. The goggles are according to the specs.

Reactions: mothytim
Naive question: what can these do that a good phone in a good viewer can't do, theoretically? Is there something fundamentally better about them or is it just a matter of time until somebody will create the software solution to allow me to do this with my Pixel phone or iPhone?
See @msinger's post in page 1.

Reactions: sirrraj and kona
Interesting that the images of these in action are not people piloting the copters, things that make you go hummm
DJI likes to play it safe. They know the FAA has rules against flying with goggles that prevent you from seeing the drone with your eyes.

Reactions: Kilrah
It is correct that Netflix strictly restricts HDMI output, it only works of the whole chain is HDCP compliant. Most adapters probably aren't, not sure any of them are actually. The goggles are according to the specs.

Yes just about all content is HDCP 2.2 compliant, even YouTube streaming will not work without it.
The HDMI input will only be good for non encrypted content. Given the weight and bulk I doubt I would be using these to watch a movie:)

Rob

DJI likes to play it safe. They know the FAA has rules against flying with goggles that prevent you from seeing the drone with your eyes.

And yet the first video that they put up had people piloting the drone with the goggles on.
The reality is that 95% of the people who buy these will be flying it with them on. I understand DJI correcting course but I did find it amusing that they pulled the first video.

Rob

Full head tracking (litchi style). Can't say about the quality of display though.

The reality is that 95% of the people who buy these will be flying it with them on.
Yes, I think you're correct. I'm sure DJI knows this too, but they cannot afford to promote unsafe practices.

Reactions: Kilrah and Robbyg
I still see the "Add To Cart" here.

This is the stuff that always worries me about DJI.
A few hours ago they were out of stock and now they are in stock again. Really!!!
Is DJI once again going to oversell the product and then have people who ordered this morning waiting until July while other who ordered afterwards get theirs in May? Do they ever learn?

Rob

I ordered them also but I am worried about one thing.
I did not see a method for turning off the head tracking.
I see that it can be switched into two different head tracking control modes and an option to make them full screen but as you could see in the Demo video it is impossible to create cinema type footage while trying to hold your head still. Is there a way to just have the screen and the battery info etc without the head movements affecting the gimbal or flight?

Rob

Going with what msinger said I am even more confused.
If I follow what DJI is saying is the real function of these goggles and that it is for me to share the experience with another person then the limitation of Gimbal control being relinquished to the Goggles makes no sense!

I am flying the Mavic with my tablet and my wife has on the goggles. we are going between some buildings and she decides to look down. As the pilot I can no longer see where I am going! How is this system supposed to work if the person wearing the googles always has control of the Yaw or the Gimbal?

Rob

Reactions: Rbruz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom