DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI support have advised me that new firmware will be released soon, to fix soft focus :/

Yep, that's the well known issue, probably with lens assembly process. A friend of mine sent his 2 weeks ago for that problem and it just came back today with a nice and perfectly sharp image all across :)

For those that think they have issues, do a brick wall test for decentered lenses. Since there is no real change in the depth of the wall, this should give you a quick answer about whether the lens is decentered if it is not sharp on one side or the other.

I've been following this thread for a bit as I honestly don't know how they think they can fix a hardware issue with a software patch

Yep, that's the well known issue, probably with lens assembly process. A friend of mine sent his 2 weeks ago for that problem and it just came back today with a nice and perfectly sharp image all across :)
From where did he send his in? Want to know if I will get mine back in time for leaving the country. Did he receive a new drone or just a new camera?

Sent from Switzerland to the German service center on the 20th, it arrived on the 23rd but wasn't checked in until the 27th (understandable...), was sent back after only 1 day on the 28th and arrived today on the 3rd.
I.e. most of it was shipping and holiday delays, DJI themselves were ultra fast.

The aircraft is the same (same SN, settings still in), no idea what they did as it isn't mentioned anywhere but it's fixed, they could have replaced or repaired the camera/gimbal. Or software-calibrated it, who knows...

Yeah, no firmware change is going to fix the left/right issue. My very first DJI quad, a P2V in Dec 2013 had the same problem and I had to send the camera back twice before I got one that was in focus on both sides.

If I really need to take photos that count, I use my D810. If I desire to get into aerial photography and videography I'll get an Inspire that's up to the task.
Just had a look at stats of my Flickr account, and they reminded me of a little detail that many gearheads including me often overlook - equipment often has little impact on the actual success of a shot i.e. perceived quality by the general public.

I've been on Flickr since 2008, have been posting things I could actually start feeling proud of since around 2012, and a couple of very unique things that also were distributed in worldwide news in the last couple of years. Had 4 Explores so far on my photos over the years.

My most liked photo ever on Flickr is... a shot from the Mavic I posted on Dec 11th. And... it's not even a frame that was shot in RAW and properly processed like 99% of what's on my account, it's a frame grab from the 4K video recording with a little cropping and minimal PP.

Everything is subjective. Do what you think is good, but be ready for what you consider the worst to be considered the best by others. You can try to learn from it... but usually that would not match what YOU like, so just continue doing what you have fun with.

Last fall days - Explored, thanks!, sur Flickr

And way beyond that... the definition of a real pro (which I'm definitely not) can make anything look spectacular regardless of equipment.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49283139@N07/30855563353/in/pool-djimavic/

Last edited:
Reactions: No1much and Pedro
I have the same left right issue. Center focus always leaves the left and especially left upper corner soft.

Does anyone NOT have this one side soft when center focused issue?

Not that I doubt that there are (must be) some defective optics/camera combos out there but, for the most part and as long time advanced photographer, I feel that people's expectations might be a bit displaced in what comes to such a tiny and cheap setup.

I don't believe a firmware update is being specifically developed for this "problem".

If it was, I wonder what would it do to optics/camera combos that operate within what their owners adjusted expectations are? ;)

MK

Just had a look at stats of my Flickr account, and they reminded me of a little detail that many gearheads including me often overlook - equipment often has little impact on the actual success of a shot i.e. perceived quality by the general public.

I've been on Flickr since 2008, have been posting things I could actually start feeling proud of since around 2012, and a couple of very unique things that also were distributed in worldwide news in the last couple of years. Had 4 Explores so far on my photos over the years.

My most liked photo ever on Flickr is... a shot from the Mavic I posted on Dec 11th. And... it's not even a frame that was shot in RAW and properly processed like 99% of what's on my account, it's a frame grab from the 4K video recording with a little cropping and minimal PP.

Everything is subjective. Do what you think is good, but be ready for what you consider the worst to be considered the best by others. You can try to learn from it... but usually that would not match what YOU like, so just continue doing what you have fun with.

Last fall days - Explored, thanks!, sur Flickr

And way beyond that... the definition of a real pro (which I'm definitely not) can make anything look spectacular regardless of equipment.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49283139@N07/30855563353/in/pool-djimavic/
"The definition of a real pro - can make anything look spectacular regardless of equipment" - Yes! I like that - soooo many people blaming their tools here. Agreed there may be some bad cameras that need to be returned but man I am getting great stills AND great vids @ 1080P 30fps from this little tech marvel AND enjoying flying like crazy too!
Cheers for this remark & Happy New Year

Hey, great to hear. I love Belize, can you share some of your videos and photos.. :)
Sure - I shoot RAW which actually blows out the pic but post in photoshop will take down the highs quite nicely. Worried me a whole heap but hey it can be worked out. Soon as I have time I'll post more & some of a recent jungle river video shoot - gonna have to invest in a range of ND filters though as the brightness gives me problems when shooting - TACO-RC Snap on ND filters set 5-pack (UV/ND4/8/16/32) for DJI Mavic Free Shipping
Haulover Creek Bridge .JPG Haulover Creek Bridge 2.JPG Inside new Sport Arena under construction.JPG New Sports Complex.JPG Overlooking Belize City.jpg Sports Complex Roof.JPG Swing Bridge Belize City.jpg
Notice the shot of the whole Arena roof which gave a crazy effect...............love it..........lol

I had the same problem once. The shots I got are worse than the grabs posted here. It happened when I accidentally tapped on the screen that set the focus to the left side of the frame. Even then, the focus is not totally set to infinity. This resulted to the right side of the frame that is all out of focus. The out of focus area is amplified while panning. Mavic uses pixel binning so this is expected.

After that experience, I made it a habit to use C1 button to set the focus at the center everytime making sure it is set to focus at infinity or at minimum of 20 feet away. This made a huge difference. Next scenes were all in focus. There is still very slight blur at the corners but that can be attributed to the lens which is typical on a lot of other cameras.

Reactions: Norwegian_Airlord
I had the same problem once. The shots I got are worse than the grabs posted here. It happened when I accidentally tapped on the screen that set the focus to the left side of the frame. Even then, the focus is not totally set to infinity. This resulted to the right side of the frame that is all out of focus. The out of focus area is amplified while panning. Mavic uses pixel binning so this is expected.

After that experience, I made it a habit to use C1 button to set the focus at the center everytime making sure it is set to focus at infinity or at minimum of 20 feet away. This made a huge difference. Next scenes were all in focus. There is still very slight blur at the corners but that can be attributed to the lens which is typical on a lot of other cameras.

I prefer just touching the screen as sometimes I really don't want to focus dead center depending on my subject matter in the frame but really it is personal choice & setting C1 button sounds like a quick easy way to remember solution................nice one

Sure - I shoot RAW which actually blows out the pic but post in photoshop will take down the highs quite nicely. Worried me a whole heap but hey it can be worked out. Soon as I have time I'll post more & some of a recent jungle river video shoot - gonna have to invest in a range of ND filters though as the brightness gives me problems when shooting - TACO-RC Snap on ND filters set 5-pack (UV/ND4/8/16/32) for DJI Mavic Free Shipping
View attachment 3589 View attachment 3590 View attachment 3591 View attachment 3592 View attachment 3593 View attachment 3594 View attachment 3595
Notice the shot of the whole Arena roof which gave a crazy effect...............love it..........lol

Very nice too.. :)

I have that set of filters, well the multi-coated set, they're great quality filters which can go on before gimbal initialisation..

TACO-RC Snap on Multi-Coating MC ND filters set 4-pack (ND4/8/16/32) for DJI Mavic Free Shipping

I have yet to see a photo or a screenshot from a movie that displays a perfect image rendering from the center of the frame to the very edges. Actually given the fairly large fixed aperture (f/2.2) and the size of the camera, some edge blur and purple fringe is quite expected. The latter is probably minimized using software corrections, but the lack of definition is not possible to remedy using software only. It would require a much larger and more complex lens arrangement. What you are referring to is a physical correction of the alignment of the lenses, which can fix some unevenness in the IQ, but there is always a tradeoff.

TBH, I think DJI has chosen a very decent camera within the given price range - but it cannot be compared with the much more expensive one used in the DJI Phantom 4 Pro. I think for most people flying around the neighborhood shooting videos for YouTube, the Mavic Pro is more than enough. For more demanding applications where IQ is prio 1, you should probably choose something more professional, like the Inspire range.

If this problem cannot be rectified somehow I'm going to be very unhappy because I have had the P3P, P4, and P4P all three have had better quality of photo and video, from what was advertised on the Mavic Pro I expect at minimum the same quality of clearness in my work, I know it's not like the P4P but still the quality should be better than some cheap off the shelf knockoff version,,,,, Am I wrong to expect this given past results from DJI? I don't think so, I'd rather turn it in for another P4 if that's the case!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Just spoke to chat and told them about my situation. Said he referred my case directly to someone so fingers crossed I receive it before I leave the country. I have heard of very quick turnarounds so pretty sure they can get it back to me if they really want. Especially because the big rush is over.

Please keep us informed if this can be fixed or not, I'm hoping it can !!!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Very nice too.. :)

I have that set of filters, well the multi-coated set, they're great quality filters which can go on before gimbal initialisation..

TACO-RC Snap on Multi-Coating MC ND filters set 4-pack (ND4/8/16/32) for DJI Mavic Free Shipping
Yeah I'm hoping they can help bring down the shutter speed for decent vids - you are having success with these filters?
I will get TACO as you mention they can be left on without a gimbal problem on start-up which is very cool.

My brand new Mavic also has blurred corners and edges, and DJI has acknowledged it as a flaw and will swap the Mavic for a new unit. I'm currently waiting for the UPS shipping label. Hope the German service is quick...

Did you guys pack all the accessories along with the drone when returning it? The instructions I received were ambiguous on that.

Maik

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimmy poole