DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Support response and a warning to anyone who wants a DJI product.

Right, but on the other hand ( not taking reglementary restrictions in account) , if DJI states in its specs that the Mavic can fly 4 miles away, then it should be able to do that, technically speaking, without exception....[emoji6]

Dang that little asterisk in their ads . Use common sense .
*Unobstructed, free of interference, when FCC compliant.

Keep the MP in line of sight and you won't have this problem. I hear a lot of stories about people losing their Mavic and it's over 2 miles away. There is no way that is flying within the rules of line of sight. I have been flying for several months and have lost connection several times but I was always able to see my Mavic until I gained control. Just because the MP can fly 4 miles away doesn't mean you should do it.

Looking thru this thread and only got to page 2 but this post on the first page really stuck with me and struck a nerve.. what an absurd comment,, I would put my pay check that you nor the others that "liked" your comment ALWAYS fly your drone line if sight, and if you do then your an idiot because there are hundreds of drones that cost a fraction the price that take good pics and HAVE to be flown LOS, so get real.
As for the OP I have seen my fair share of posts regarding poor cust service but being on the other side i also know people are a$× holes and expect the world regardless their fault or being an idiot, I agree the OP needed to show or explain more of what lead to the event but some of the harsh comments were uncalled for, think about how you would feel even in your LOS world and it just flew away, same logs as OP and DJI gave you the same answer. Just saying.

Reactions: cderoche
Update,
After a week or so of emails from support I have had an answer, and now to clamed down, I will post facts only, no blame etc., this is why I started this post, to let people know what their letting themselves in for and what to expect from DJI support.
Anyway here goes,

"What's more, we have to stress again, it was not your fault, and there was no product malfunction found also before flight record was cut off."

"The location was the last location recorded with GPS signal, it was a guide to founding your aircraft but not the exactly where your aircraft was.", 4 people searched for over 4 hrs in a flat field!

"The Failsafe RTH will be triggered if the remote controller signal is lost for more than 3 second, provided that a Home Point was recorded previously and the GPS signal was great. However, as the record ended suddenly, we are not able to figure out what happened afterwards. It is not the engineers are incapable or we are unwilling to, but the cause was not recorded in the flight file." Product did not return to home point which was verified by DJI, I honestly did not see a flyaway, probably too busy with the disconnect issue.

Quite simply they except its not my fault, but never admit the if the product failed (i.e transmitting to remote) it would not be logged, and as I cannot prove it, they are not accepting liability.

Best of luck with support if you ever need it, spare battery's, case, props, charger, car charger and controller may be up on eBay soon.

Last edited:
May have missed it in all the previous debates, but was home point recorded properly on take off? Can sometimes take a while for the lady to say:"The home point has been updated, please check it on the map" before flying away. I have to wait 10-20sec sometimes after display shows GPS mode.

Reactions: Rbruz
Yes home point recorded, also verified of the flight log by DJI, as they freely admit, I did nothing wrong.
Thanks

Biggest problem I see is that at 2km out, you may have done nothing wrong, but you also can't prove to DJI that there wasn't a man walking his beagle with a shotgun over his shoulder somewhere in the field below...
So they may also have done nothing wrong.

(Yes I do take my mavic out of LOS, but situational awareness gets much more tricky...)

Reactions: Rbruz
Bit of cross talk here, it was only 102m high and 106m away, total flight time about 2 1/2 mins, full batteries on aircraft, controller and iPad mini, latest firmware on aircraft, remote and battery, latest OS on iPad, latest GO4. Nothing for miles to cause interference, no wind, and as DJI have been through to logs and can find nothing I did wrong, I can not accept that I did anything either. Textbook as it should have been done and not challenged.

oops not sure where I got that far distance bit from. happens when you skim read 5 pages.
I will then concede that your situation sucks.

Looking thru this thread and only got to page 2 but this post on the first page really stuck with me and struck a nerve.. what an absurd comment,, I would put my pay check that you nor the others that "liked" your comment ALWAYS fly your drone line if sight, and if you do then your an idiot because there are hundreds of drones that cost a fraction the price that take good pics and HAVE to be flown LOS, so get real.
As for the OP I have seen my fair share of posts regarding poor cust service but being on the other side i also know people are a$× holes and expect the world regardless their fault or being an idiot, I agree the OP needed to show or explain more of what lead to the event but some of the harsh comments were uncalled for, think about how you would feel even in your LOS world and it just flew away, same logs as OP and DJI gave you the same answer. Just saying.

I agree 100% with this. Plus even if you keep it 100% in LOS which means for most people no more than about 500-600 feet away and a couple hundred feet up, most of the time you are flying your head is stuck looking at the video feed anyway. I mean we bought this thing to take videos and photos, so how can you possibly do that while constantly looking at the Mavic and not the tablet or phone? The ideal situation would be to have a spotter all the time watching the Mavic while you video something. Don't know about you guys but I don't know of anyone that bored that would want to run over to watch me fly my drone every time I'm airborne. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Rbruz and grizzard
Update,
After a week or so of emails from support I have had an answer, and now to clamed down, I will post facts only, no blame etc., this is why I started this post, to let people know what their letting themselves in for and what to expect from DJI support.
Anyway here goes,

"What's more, we have to stress again, it was not your fault, and there was no product malfunction found also before flight record was cut off."

"The location was the last location recorded with GPS signal, it was a guide to founding your aircraft but not the exactly where your aircraft was.", 4 people searched for over 4 hrs in a flat field!

"The Failsafe RTH will be triggered if the remote controller signal is lost for more than 3 second, provided that a Home Point was recorded previously and the GPS signal was great. However, as the record ended suddenly, we are not able to figure out what happened afterwards. It is not the engineers are incapable or we are unwilling to, but the cause was not recorded in the flight file." Product did not return to home point which was verified by DJI, I honestly did not see a flyaway, probably too busy with the disconnect issue.

Quite simply they except its not my fault, but never admit the if the product failed (i.e transmitting to remote) it would not be logged, and as I cannot prove it, they are not accepting liability.

Best of luck with support if you ever need it, spare battery's, case, props, charger, car charger and controller may be up on eBay soon.

Typical Chinese big company response in my experience....

Biggest problem I see is that at 2km out, you may have done nothing wrong, but you also can't prove to DJI that there wasn't a man walking his beagle with a shotgun over his shoulder somewhere in the field below...
So they may also have done nothing wrong.

(Yes I do take my mavic out of LOS, but situational awareness gets much more tricky...)

I've been looking for that guy!
upload_2017-7-11_18-38-22.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-11_18-37-43.png
    upload_2017-7-11_18-37-43.png
    350.3 KB · Views: 19
Bit of cross talk here, it was only 102m high and 106m away, total flight time about 2 1/2 mins, full batteries on aircraft, controller and iPad mini, latest firmware on aircraft, remote and battery, latest OS on iPad, latest GO4. Nothing for miles to cause interference, no wind, and as DJI have been through to logs and can find nothing I did wrong, I can not accept that I did anything either. Textbook as it should have been done and not challenged.

DJI Customer Service Rep:
Log show you do nothing wrong.
Log not prove we do something wrong.
Log not show everything, because something went wrong.
We not know what went wrong.
You not know what went wrong.
Drone not come back home as per design.
Sorry can't help you.

They did this to me too. I kept complaining until they gave me a drone.

Also they are sensitive to making complaints to the BBB and the Attorney General. Whether you do or not isn't important. Threaten. Them.

Everybody takes their drone out of line of sight sometimes. Of course, the word everyone refers to 99% of the people. Like how everyone who drives a car speeds sometimes. To tell people to always fly within LOS is just ridiculous. These drones were not built for that purpose.

Having said that, if you do take your drone out of LOS, and something malfunctions, the onus is more on you to prove that it was a manufacturer defect. Like some have said already, you don't know exactly what happened to it as it could have been hit by an object from above/below/side/behind where you couldn't see with the camera. Without some physical evidence, the manufacturer cannot be expected to compensate for the loss.

Yes, their customer service in general is terrible. But their policy for defective goods claims is really no worse than Apple, GM, PepsiCo, Samsung, or some other random top 40 manufacturing company in the world.

Everybody takes their drone out of line of sight sometimes. Of course, the word everyone refers to 99% of the people. Like how everyone who drives a car speeds sometimes. To tell people to always fly within LOS is just ridiculous. These drones were not built for that purpose.

Having said that, if you do take your drone out of LOS, and something malfunctions, the onus is more on you to prove that it was a manufacturer defect. Like some have said already, you don't know exactly what happened to it as it could have been hit by an object from above/below/side/behind where you couldn't see with the camera. Without some physical evidence, the manufacturer cannot be expected to compensate for the loss.

Yes, their customer service in general is terrible. But their policy for defective goods claims is really no worse than Apple, GM, PepsiCo, Samsung, or some other random top 40 manufacturing company in the world.
Exactly. If car manufacturers were to behave the same way as DJi does then GM, Ford, Dodge would make you connect to the Internet before you could drive your car and if you drove 5 miles over the limit start throttling you back and giving you warnings! Then they would install software to give you a maximum speed range you could drive and watch every zone you went into. If a driver breaks the law and injuries someone ... well they have courts for that. It isn't the car that breaks the law, it is the driver. It's the driver that gets punished. It should not be any different with drones. DJi needs to get over themselves. Their attempt to control everyone's flying by degrading their product will eventually fail, just like gun control. People kill, guns don't ... they have no mind. DJi's efforts are childlike and silly. At this point ... I would not buy another DJi product.

At this point ... I would not buy another DJi product.

I feel the same way.

I also understand now that this forum is chock full of DJI fanboys and probably some DJI employees (which is why I subscribed to another forum also), as you can see the relentless attacks come out on anyone that loses their drone and hint that maybe it the drone just malfunctioned. If you advertise that your product can fly to the moon and back - expect people to do just that, or shut up about it DJI.

Reactions: grizzard
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ottog