DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

DJI could've done a better job articulating their recent press release so as not to cause this hysteria.

You need to follow along. DJI's head legal expert clarified the statement, basically saying don't worry nothing is going to change with the way your Mavic Fly's.

The problem is that DJI took down his comments several hours later and we have not heard a peep from them again.

Now I may not be the smartest hamster in the cage but when the head guy says "We are not changing your flying ability" and the company retracts his statement, I think it's time to get worried.

Rob

Hello folks,
I try to post this on the DJI's forum but I'll think it is censured . I can not post it !!!!!! It's only 7 post i the last 24 hours !!!
Strange he !!!

"Hi,
I have been following the discussion here since I also received the message last Friday and there have been many messages, but in the past 24 hours there have only been 7 posts! Is this due to censorship from moderator or what? I am just asking!!!!
Ps: I try and find this discussion on the home site of the forum (I'll think this is the hottest !!!)
But I can not find it !!!!!"

The tread is : DJI Updates Process For Activating Software And Firmware Updates
I think this is very strange !!!

I'm just a reader on the thread, but now I cant help my self, This is enough of this Chinese tactic.

Reactions: Mr Spock
...And that should be enough for anyone with enough common sense. Not so rarely, I'm also sitting on a plane flying somewhere and I don't want any brainless creature with Mavic or any other RC vessel trying to get close-ups of 1:1 plane.
For that reason, respecting others rights to think in a similar way, I would never fly in restricted zone. This is just fancy electronics and as such, it has glitches (multiplied by results of kind software developers' work).
I need no additional governance from company that took my money for a drone - especially, since they admit themselves that "Sometimes the Zones in GEO do not necessarily match the parameters or shape of official geospatial features" - what use then of such approximate restricting automation?

Of course, if you would never fly in a restricted zone, the DJI restrictions are not aimed at you (and nor do they affect you in any way.)

In contrast consider the mass media hysteria surrounding the GoPro Karma that crashed into the MLB stadium the other day. (For a start, it probably doesnt surprise anyone here that it is a GoPro because the DJI wouldnt let you fly there). And we dont know what the MLB will do (if anything) about this flight. But we do know, that people acting irresponsibly with their drones could end up ruining drone flying for people like you that act responsibly with yours. So, as I see it, these NFZ restrictions by DJI are a necessary evil without which drones will be subject to much more draconian measures.

Reactions: Drone Police
Haggish

I think everyone lucky enough to have received their Goggles are busy learning and exploring this new bit of tech. End of the Chinese week is here, so let's see.

You need to follow along. DJI's head legal expert clarified the statement, basically saying don't worry nothing is going to change with the way your Mavic Fly's.

The problem is that DJI took down his comments several hours later and we have not heard a peep from them again.

Now I may not be the smartest hamster in the cage but when the head guy says "We are not changing your flying ability" and the company retracts his statement, I think it's time to get worried.

Rob

I haven't posted much since I joined in January largely because truly knowledgeable members like you made it unnecessary. You have made valid points throughout this thread, but I just can't see your worst fears coming to fruition. Call me naive, but after we have spent the summer happily flying our Mavics (with the latest FW) I'm convinced we will all look back on this thread and think that wasn't so bad. ;)

personally I think DJI is going to kill their own business...... and if it does limit my lawful usage according to what THEY want...... Ill sell my inspire, P4 and Mavic Pro and switch completely to Yuneec

Reactions: Blades
DJI is a for profit manufacturing company of these drones, and have no rite once sold to a customer and owned by the customer it becomes the customers private property to dictate how they fly or where they fly, only a government agency such as the FAA can do that. Imagine if the car companies could tell you when to drive or where you can drive your car! John Taylor the attorney that won the registration case against the FAA should file against DJI under a class action suite of DJI owners, that firmware updates are restricting the owners of there (private property drones) rite of choice of operation.

Just curious (probably out of lack of experience with drones and NFZ's, etc... not meant as an argument starter) why would you want NFZ notifications/limits removed? I know the obvious answer - so you can fly where you want. But I don't understand why someone would desire to fly within a no fly zone unless they feel that the NFZ is not truly an NFZ?

Because some NFZ's are ridiculous! Take Beijing's 30km radius NFZ, thats 60km circle, which includes some nice (uninhabited) scenery in the Fragrant Hills to the North West of it. If the NFZ's would be done more sensible, then people wouldn't have an issue with them (like, not using circles but actual point to point boundaries).

;-)

I think this is all about security. Didn't someone say Iraq & Syria had been Geofenced recently. With the growth of terrorism I wouldn't be surprised if cities & towns were fenced soon.

I have looked at some of DJI's code and it's shiet! As with all Chinese products their Kung Fu is weak:D

I am not a hacker, it's the opposite in that I have to battle them on a routine basis. I have owned lots of personal devices that eventually got hacked by groups. All it takes is customer dissatisfaction and the ability to make Money. Both of which I am sad to say DJI is starting to provide. We already have one guy who runs a website selling firmware that will remove all Geo Locks on the Mavic for $200. If DJI does anything further their hardware and software is so weak that it will crumble within a matter of days to a serious group that knows they can make a million or more from their work. That equates to 5000 customers willing to pay $200 each. (an easy goal to achieve in this kind of atmosphere)

DJI will then learn what MaCom, Sony, Apple and many others have learned. Once you start going down this road you end up spending more money on security than on any other aspect of the product.

Rob
Hey Rob, do send me a private message please. I seem unable to do so, thanks

Because some NFZ's are ridiculous! Take Beijing's 30km radius NFZ, thats 60km circle, which includes some nice (uninhabited) scenery in the Fragrant Hills to the North West of it. If the NFZ's would be done more sensible, then people wouldn't have an issue with them (like, not using circles but actual point to point boundaries).

;-)

And because you never know what rules are going to change on your "profile" in the future.

For example, what is the maximum altitude allowed in the US today? 120m ? What if FAA changes it to half? What if just DJI apply in the future a maximum altitude limit related to your location?

We are not co-owners of my drone me and DJI.
They are obliged to provide support, for the period the guaranty is valid but they cannot change in any way the drone characteristics. And of course they cannot threat you that if you do not re-login (and who knows what new T&C you would be confronted to accept) your drone will lose serious functionality.

Why loosing functionality ?????
People saying it's an option to update . NO IT IS NOT. Update eventually will happen for many reasons , not for just getting new smart toys from DJI (which undoubtedly are good to have)

DJI is a for profit manufacturing company of these drones, and have no rite once sold to a customer and owned by the customer it becomes the customers private property to dictate how they fly or where they fly, only a government agency such as the FAA can do that. Imagine if the car companies could tell you when to drive or where you can drive your car! John Taylor the attorney that won the registration case against the FAA should file against DJI under a class action suite of DJI owners, that firmware updates are restricting the owners of there (private property drones) rite of choice of operation.

You haven't read very many EULA's lately.

Example: Apple Is Lobbying Against Your Right to Repair iPhones, New York State Records Confirm

Update 4.1.0 just landed in the Play Store. No improvements for the Mavic noted in the release notes.... more for the Spark and Matrix....oh and the registration requirement.

People saying it's an option to update . NO IT IS NOT.

I am still waiting for someone to show me where it says this update is required. No one that is convinced its forced can show me where it states this. If DJI can update a piece of software on a device that is not connected to the internet that would be nothing short of black magic. So while you voluntarily update I will continue to fly mine just fine the way it is.

Anyone used the new version of the app on Android: v4.1.0?

anyone actually registered when it prompted you to do so? what are the required fields, info? (screenshots please)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead