DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

I am still waiting for someone to show me where it says this update is required. No one that is convinced its forced can show me where it states this. If DJI can update a piece of software on a device that is not connected to the internet that would be nothing short of black magic. So while you voluntarily update I will continue to fly mine just fine the way it is.
It is not stated anywhere. But how realistic is to keep all your devices out of date?
You could even buy a new iPhone running a next version of iOS and DJI GO 4 current version could have incompatibilities with iOS next version. Examples are many and have been mentioned before. If you don't want to be convinced, no one can push you towards any direction. It's just not realistic in 2017 to stay out of date.

Reactions: LongRifle
How will DJI get your drone de throned if you turn off cellular data and never update the app? Would it not function how it does right now?
If I turned off cellular, how would I get new maps in a new area?
As mentioned before the "never update app" idea is unrealistic from a long term perspective.

Reactions: Capra Vecinului
Can someone clarify what's really going on? I havent flown or updated or turned on my Mavic for the past 2 weeks. Sounds like we need to login (via wifi/cellular data) EVERYTIME to fly?? If not, we get restricted to 50m distance & 30m altitude?

I use an iPad Mini 4 with no cellular...so I'm basically screwed since I need to login...? (My phone lags too much for the Go4 app to work)
Make personal hotspot on your phone.

Anyone used the new version of the app on Android: v4.1.0?

anyone actually registered when it prompted you to do so? what are the required fields, info? (screenshots please)

i just updated it, and the warning at the begining is gone, and didnt ask me to re-login, or re-activate
seems that nothing is changed for my mavic
and yes i have internet connection
i do have to go outside and fly it to see if nothing is restricted

Anyone used the new version of the app on Android: v4.1.0?

anyone actually registered when it prompted you to do so? what are the required fields, info? (screenshots please)

YES and flown without any issues.

The required fields are your email address (or phone number) and password. Thats all.

However it is highly likely it will not even ask you for this. Because if you are like most people, you will have never actually logged out of your DJI account within DJIGo4 in the first place. So after it installs the updated version, it will automatically log you back in to your account with the credentials it always used.

On the other hand if you are one of the more paranoid types, you may have gone into your DJIGo4 settings menu at some point and selected Sign Out. In this case you will get a prompt "Please sign in wth your account before using DJI Go 4."

upload_2017-5-26_17-38-21.png
If you bother to read the Terms and Privacy Policy links you will see that you have agreed to give up your first borne child.
Pages of stuff where you agree to fly by all relevant rules and in the privacy policy DJI can pass your info to applicable law enforcement agencies.

i just updated it, and the warning at the begining is gone, and didnt ask me to re-login, or re-activate
seems that nothing is changed for my mavic
and yes i have internet connection
i do have to go outside and fly it to see if nothing is restricted
Maybe the app has already logged you in and din't ask for your password?
Or maybe the changed their mind... who knows...

YES and flown without any issues.

The required fields are your email address (or phone number) and password. Thats all.

However it is highly likely it will not even ask you for this. Because if you are like most people, you will have never actually logged out of your DJI account within DJIGo4 in the first place. So after it installs the updated version, it will automatically log you back in to your account with the credentials it always used.

On the other hand if you are one of the more paranoid types, you may have gone into your DJIGo4 settings menu at some point and selected Sign Out. In this case you will get a prompt "Please sign in wth your account before using DJI Go 4."

View attachment 13645
If you bother to read the Terms and Privacy Policy links you will see that you have agreed to give up your first borne child.
Pages of stuff where you agree to fly by all relevant rules and in the privacy policy DJI can pass your info to applicable law enforcement agencies.
This is exactly what I suspected it would be. Nothing more than a simple CYA by DJI to make you sign off on a TOS where you agree to follow all the rules.

Oh wait... The sun came up today? The sky is still there? What? Drones STILL flying?? Nooooooo. LOL!

If I turned off cellular, how would I get new maps in a new area?
As mentioned before the "never update app" idea is unrealistic from a long term perspective.
you can download to have it as offline mode :D

DJI is a for profit manufacturing company of these drones, and have no rite once sold to a customer and owned by the customer it becomes the customers private property to dictate how they fly or where they fly, only a government agency such as the FAA can do that. Imagine if the car companies could tell you when to drive or where you can drive your car! John Taylor the attorney that won the registration case against the FAA should file against DJI under a class action suite of DJI owners, that firmware updates are restricting the owners of there (private property drones) rite of choice of operation.
My car will not allow you to do many manual things while driving including hooking up a Bluetooth or changing setting on the car using the dash screen buttons
But once the car is in park all is good. And you can change settings

Because some NFZ's are ridiculous! Take Beijing's 30km radius NFZ, thats 60km circle, which includes some nice (uninhabited) scenery in the Fragrant Hills to the North West of it. If the NFZ's would be done more sensible, then people wouldn't have an issue with them (like, not using circles but actual point to point boundaries).

;-)

Can you disable GEO?

Did they take away the feature?
I do not have the option to do so showing in my menus.
Perhaps this could be this because I am registered in Australasia and GEO has only been implemented in North America and Europe

I do not have the option to do so showing in my menus.
Perhaps this could be this because I am registered in Australasia and GEO has only been implemented in North America and Europe

I forgot only litchi has the option to disable GEO.

-G

It is not stated anywhere. But how realistic is to keep all your devices out of date?
You could even buy a new iPhone running a next version of iOS and DJI GO 4 current version could have incompatibilities with iOS next version. Examples are many and have been mentioned before. If you don't want to be convinced, no one can push you towards any direction. It's just not realistic in 2017 to stay out of date.
You say unrealistic, I say resist as long as possible! I am still running XP on my home computer. Why? Because it does what I need. No issues, no viruses, no problem. But as more and more software stops supporting it I'm sure eventually It wont be able to do what I need and ill upgrade. But nobody is forcing me. It will probably be the same with the app. But some here make it sound like its an "update now or else" kind of thing and that is not the case. I'm sure the old versions of the app and firmwares have still got some time to go before they are just completely unusable.

My car will not allow you to do many manual things while driving including hooking up a Bluetooth or changing setting on the car using the dash screen buttons
But once the car is in park all is good. And you can change settings

I think the issue is though, that this came from the factory with this behavior. People are concerned about DJI modifying the behavior of the device they paid for after the fact. If I know that the product is going to do X when I buy it, that is fine, I agree to that when I exchange money for the product. If after the fact the product no longer does X because the manufacturer changed something that is not acceptable.

Think of it this way, if you were in a contract with a cellular provider and there was a material change in the contract you could legally walk away from that contract, keeping the product, and there was nothing the cellular provider could do about it.

Granted this seems to do nothing like that (so far, from reports) but the concern is always there with something you paid a lot of money for.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas