DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

It says if you don't log in after doing the update height, distance and video link will be restricted until you log back into the app. It doesn't say if you don't do the update anything will be restricted.
Exactly. There seems to be a misconception here that users must upgrade or their Mavics will be restricted. No update means no restrictions.

Reactions: Clinton1
That ruling only applies to RC toys where people fly at clubs.
Drones are NOT except from the new ruling. You still have to register your drone!
At least that's how I read it.
Only if you do commercial works, not as hobby

Reactions: Blades
To be honest.... I fly Lichi.... I've deleted Go4 2 week's after getting my first unit. I've never even seen the message that warns of a forced update. Just switch to Lichi. And leave wi-fi off

Reactions: TimesTen and ryo
To be honest.... I fly Lichi.... I've deleted Go4 2 week's after getting my first unit. I've never even seen the message that warns of a forced update. Just switch to Lichi. And leave wi-fi off
I literally purchased Litchi JUST for this reason, no stupid firmware notifications, no fuss...

Reactions: TimesTen
Here is some Australian information that shows 2.4GHz is limited to 500mw not 50mw in regards to 2.4GHz spectrum in Australia. That would be TEN TIMES your assertion!.

What radiated power limits apply to devices operating in the 2.4 GHz band?
  • 500 milliwatts EIRP is authorised in the 2.4 – 2.4835 GHz band for frequency hopping transmitters that use a minimum of 15 hopping frequencies

Keep in mind those regulations specify EIRP- if there is any antenna gain at all (and there is gain with the Mavic antennas) then the actual TX output has to be reduced accordingly.

Does anyone know if there is a free trial version of Litchi? I would like to have a look at it before committing yet more money to the "Mavic Project".

Also, any know issues with firmware 0400 which is where I intend to stick for now, it does everything I need and performed without fault.

Thanks

Reactions: Brandon R
Does anyone know if there is a free trial version of Litchi? I would like to have a look at it before committing yet more money to the "Mavic Project".

I'm not sure about the Apple Store but the google play store offers a money back guarantee within 2 hours of purchase. If you are quick you could test it.

Thanks, I am on Apple. Going to drop an email to Litchi..... Normally some of these developers are pretty good and can offer a short trial even on Apple products, had to use the option in the past, as I would really like to see what and how it performs before I take the jump

Thanks

Guys, this really is getting out of control.

Again, DJI is doing this because the Chinese government is requiring them to. Chinese owners are now required to re-authorize their aircraft every three months -- not because DJI wants them to, but because the Chinese government is requiring it.

It's obviously impractical to maintain different versions of firmware for different legal jurisdictions, so they implemented the functionality in a way that can be enabled/disabled. It's disabled everywhere else in the world. However, the new auth system requires everyone who's applied the affected firmware to go through the new process at least once.

Now, here's the important part: This is not in DJI's interest, and they know it. They would not do this simply on their own, as it pisses off their customers. The fact they put the extra engineering in to make it configurable, so that customer in jurisdictions where these requirements are not in effect can be left unmolested, strongly supports this.

Fears that these performance and functionality limiting capabilities will be enabled in places where they're not required are hugely overblown. Again, this is not in DJI's interest, and they know it. This will only happen where a government decides to implement such restrictions, and the fact that DJI has implemented this will mean you will be able to continue to use your drone.

Where is this stated? As much as I would love to trust you, random internet user, I would prefer to "hear" it from the horses mouth.

Reactions: Blades
Essentially, in a few days, DJI Go and DJI Go 4 apps will have new versions. After upgrading to these new versions, users will have to re-activate via at least a login method to their DJI account. At such time, DJI will mark the location of the user, probably via combination of GPS, IP address, credit card info on file, or some other method, and the user will be subject to strict(er) enforcement based on the region of the world that they live in. The GEO will no longer be only "optional" and will make it so that in busy cities, many folks will not be able to fly at all, and have to drive out to the "country". In some countries were drone flying is not allowed, the mavic might not even fly at all. If the user chooses not to consent to this re-registration, the Mavic will be severely limited, including but maynot not limited to things like only being able to fly max altitude of 98feet above the ground, only being able to fly approciatelmy 150 feet from the remote control, and many other registrations like perhaps speed cap and including confirmed NO LIVE feed back to control etc...

So therefore, effectively, they are essentially forcing all users to upgrade. It is likely that once upon upgrade to this new firmware and new app, users via re-registration will be presented and asked to accept a new Terms of Service, etc while might have legal language that says there will be no more downgrading allowed to previous firmware/apps...

This paves the path of the slippery slope to potentially once DJI has the majority of the customers on effective "lock down" that in the future it might technically allow DJI to do things like remotely send a "kill signal" to a drone to permanently disable it from flying, if someone has reported that drone user to DJI etc, or DJI catches that drone user uploading a flight on youtube that was "against the rules" , regular always online during flight so that it can be tracked in real time and sent to law enforcement and FAA and CAA and whatnot, and many other things such as allowing DJI to continue to degrade the performance of the Mavic (for example now only 84% of a full charge battery is actually "usable" as opposed to 90% when it was first sold on earlier firmware, later this number could get to like 70% or even 60% etc) and perhaps also enforce an open ended NFZ where everyone can request airspace above their home or building to be a NFZ, esssentially in the future "allowed flying areas" will be like the ever shrinking "designated smoking areas" or "free speech zones" of today.

A few quick questions:
1. Will you still be able to fly Litchi waypoints after the update?
2. Is DJI able to obtain your Litchi flight records?
3. With the new update, will you still be able to waive out of flight restricted NFZs or height limits. If you live in urban area like LA, it is nearly impossible not be within 5 miles of an airport. I guess this is what you are referring to as waiving out of GEO

A few quick questions:
1. Will you still be able to fly Litchi waypoints after the update?
2. Is DJI able to obtain your Litchi flight records?
3. With the new update, will you still be able to waive out of flight restricted NFZs or height limits. If you live in urban area like LA, it is nearly impossible not be within 5 miles of an airport. I guess this is what you are referring to as waiving out of GEO

1. Tested Litchi Version 1.16.2 Mavic Pro .0500 firmware.
2. No
3. Not tested

I Just tested Litchi Version 1.16.2 and cycled though multiple missions, FPV, and Orbit with no issues.

.0500 firmware, GEO system enabled and no DJI Authorization required!

Last edited:
But if you have a crash with Lichti App, dji not guaranteed i think ?

Actually, yes. I had a P3A fall out of the sky when I had paused a waypoint mission while running Litchi and to my surprise they fixed it. I thought they would try to try to blame the software but they didn't. I've hear from others who have not had similar outcomes.

Overall litchi is glitchy and I have preferred to is DJI's software expect when I am running waypoint missions.

Reactions: jasman
1. Tested Litchi Version 1.16.2 Mavic Pro .0500 firmware.
2. No
3. Not tested

I Just tested Litchi Version 1.16.2 and cycled though multiple missions, FPV, and Orbit with no issues.

.0500 firmware, GEO system enabled and no DJI Authorization required!

Thanks but I was referring to running .800 firmware that is coming out next week + Litchi. Any ideas how the new firmware will interact with Litchi? I've heard Litchi might not work with the new software.

Does anyone else have confirmation regarding if DJI can view your

I don't think DJI's intent is to create a 'no fly list' for counter terror purposes in the same manner a TSA "no fly list" we have today. And its not exactly like "spies" will be registering with DJI under their real names and stuff anyhow. So while certainty this can be used to individually target and spy on someone who is a person of interest, it doesn't seem like a practical intent. More likely, DJI is paving the way for the beginning steps of a registration list, being the defacto manufacturer of consumer drones, they are in the unique industry position to drive this, partly the appease governments, partly to benefit themselves. Eventually I could see this going down the route how like we have firearms registration in the USA right now. For example, wanna buy a new drone? It has to go through an DJI authorized dealer. That Dealer must perform check ID in person and those who can't pass a background check will be denied flying privileges. Just like felons cannot vote or people on no fly lists cannot fly, there might be a DJI list of people who are not allowed to fly DJI drones, and whatever criteria DJI sets will be even more strict than the governments criteria, since flying, and especially drone flying, is a privilege and not a constitutionally protected right (such as free speech etc) So I could see this going down the path of, oh so you are on probation? drone flying privileges revoked! Oh you own the IRS backtaxes? You can't fly drones until you pay up. Oh you are late on child support? Oh you are suffering from PTSD? Oh you posted a video or forum post critical of DJI? you get the idea.

I could see Obama saying : if you are too dangerous to fly, you are too dangerous to own a gun,

[erroneously conflating a privilege with a protected second amendment right, the bar for striping someone of their firearms is much higher, criminal conviction beyond a reasonable doubt, than the threshold of denying someone boarding on an aircraft, which can be based on secret suspicion alone]

if you are too dangerous to own a gun, you are too dangerous to buy a drone.

Sliding down the slippery slope we go!

lol
An Obama reference really - lol

Reactions: Bladzalot
Thanks, I am on Apple. Going to drop an email to Litchi..... Normally some of these developers are pretty good and can offer a short trial even on Apple products, had to use the option in the past, as I would really like to see what and how it performs before I take the jump

Thanks

How sure are we the GEO will no longer be optional? Seems like this will kill urban droning.

Here is my other questions - even with GEO off right now on .700, you still can't get within a mile of airports or near major stadiums. So is this just enhanced GEO fencing or are they actually not going to allow you to fly within 5 miles of any airport (no matter how small)?

Where is this stated? As much as I would love to trust you, random internet user, I would prefer to "hear" it from the horses mouth.
You'll have to read through the thread, like I did. I'm not going to go back and search through all those posts for you to find it.

I was some official stuff from DJI about what this is all about.

EDIT: tumbled across the post where I got some of that info... Post 171 in this thread.

Last edited:
Thanks but I was referring to running .800 firmware that is coming out next week + Litchi. Any ideas how the new firmware will interact with Litchi? I've heard Litchi might not work with the new software.
Main point: You will be able to continue to use Litchi and its full functionality with the MP after this change.

The complicated part of the answer is how easy, or how complex getting up in the air and starting your Litchi mission will be. There are too many variables to explain it easily here, but it depends on what version of firmware, GO4 app, and Litchi app you have. And, until Litchi modifies their app to use the new authentication API in the SDK, you will have to connect with the NEW GO4 first (to authenticate), then kill GO and connect with Litchi while the Mavic stays powered up. Every time you power it on.

As for .800 firmware, your post is the first I've heard of it. Do you have some source, or just assuming they'll roll the firmware next week like the rest of us? Even though I too think we'll get another new firmware release, I also think that everything they need to implement this is already in .700.

What's not in there are the drugs they're going to get us hooked on so we'll upgrade. That'll be in .750/.800/.whatever

Reactions: timesnaps
Main point: You will be able to continue to use Litchi and its full functionality with the MP after this change.

The complicated part of the answer is how easy, or how complex getting up in the air and starting your Litchi mission will be. There are too many variables to explain it easily here, but it depends on what version of firmware, GO4 app, and Litchi app you have. And, until Litchi modifies their app to use the new authentication API in the SDK, you will have to connect with the NEW GO4 first (to authenticate), then kill GO and connect with Litchi while the Mavic stays powered up. Every time you power it on.

As for .800 firmware, your post is the first I've heard of it. Do you have some source, or just assuming they'll roll the firmware next week like the rest of us? Even though I too think we'll get another new firmware release, I also think that everything they need to implement this is already in .700.

What's not in there are the drugs they're going to get us hooked on so we'll upgrade. That'll be in .750/.800/.whatever

Just assuming .800 like everyone else.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snaeem