DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

I understand the need for restricting drones in controlled airspace, but in my locality we have the ability to phone the control tower to open the airspace. I have been doing this for years, not just for drones, but for paragliding and other air sports. I take it that DJI now sees this as controlled airspace and will no longer let me fly?

Reactions: stratos
What bothers me is that even if the new forced restrictions show that DJI products are self regulated, there are many other non DJI drones in the market. Laws will not distinguish if you are flying a DJI ot oyher drone.

This is a move by DJI to cover their behinds to any lawsuits. In reality this will do nothing to help us fly. Even in controversy and even if our drones will have "stricter " flying geo fences they will just get you in trouble.

Sadly I joined at the dawn of this hobby :( was good while it lasted :(

Reactions: Randy
So reading through the GEO System section of the DJI site it looks like what they are doing is tracking flying in restricted areas more closely and aside from true NFZ they are not going to prevent you from flying. From what I'm reading they are just making it so you do have to authorize for more areas and you are clicking that you are authorized to fly in that area so that in the event an incident occurs you can't say you didn't know you were flying where you weren't supposed to. They are also requiring you to use a credit card for signup before you can authorize areas to make sure people aren't making spoof accounts.

Does anyone know if there is a free trial version of Litchi? I would like to have a look at it before committing yet more money to the "Mavic Project".

Also, any know issues with firmware 0400 which is where I intend to stick for now, it does everything I need and performed without fault.

Thanks

Just go for it. Its worth it now more than ever

I understand the need for restricting drones in controlled airspace, but in my locality we have the ability to phone the control tower to open the airspace. I have been doing this for years, not just for drones, but for paragliding and other air sports. I take it that DJI now sees this as controlled airspace and will no longer let me fly?

No. Not necessarily. Lots of speculation in this thread with no real substance behind them.

Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform
1. Tested Litchi Version 1.16.2 Mavic Pro .0500 firmware.
2. No
3. Not tested

I Just tested Litchi Version 1.16.2 and cycled though multiple missions, FPV, and Orbit with no issues.

.0500 firmware, GEO system enabled and no DJI Authorization required!
Just be careful on .0500 with Litchi. It has a bug that effects third party apps like Litchi and Autopilot.
"There is currently an issue with the recently released firmwares for Mavic Pro (v01.03.0500), ... where the drone will fly erratically in some of Litchi’s flight modes. If you already installed one of these firmwares, we highly recommend not using these flight modes until the issue is fixed with a DJI firmware update. The following flight modes are affected: VR with Immersive/Joystick Head Tracking active, Follow, Focus and Track. All other flight modes (including FPV, Waypoint, Orbit and VR with Immersive/Joystick Head Tracking OFF) are unaffected."

0af1ccde98519dfce99c8c7a0a0afd32.jpg

Just be careful on .0500 with Litchi. It has a bug that effects third party apps like Litchi and Autopilot.
"There is currently an issue with the recently released firmwares for Mavic Pro (v01.03.0500), ... where the drone will fly erratically in some of Litchi’s flight modes. If you already installed one of these firmwares, we highly recommend not using these flight modes until the issue is fixed with a DJI firmware update. The following flight modes are affected: VR with Immersive/Joystick Head Tracking active, Follow, Focus and Track. All other flight modes (including FPV, Waypoint, Orbit and VR with Immersive/Joystick Head Tracking OFF) are unaffected."

Thanks Logger good eye....

I am in the process of regression testing .0600 and .0700 now with no issues FPV, Waypoint and Orbit are unaffected on .0500. :^)

The good news is no DJI activation is required to run Litchi. (yet)

I can't see any mention in this thread, assuming anyone actually knows yet, of what the situation is for an android user on the latest (4.0.7) app who blocks updates and stays on that version.

I'm also getting the notification, but does anything actually kick in assuming you don't update past the current version?

I can't see any mention in this thread, assuming anyone actually knows yet, of what the situation is for an android user on the latest (4.0.7) app who blocks updates and stays on that version.

I'm also getting the notification, but does anything actually kick in assuming you don't update past the current version?

Possibly not, until you try to update fw.

How do you roll app back I'm on .400 but not sure what app. version I'm on

After reading through all 19 pages I can't help but LOL at the guys clinging to .400. You guys remind of me of Jack and Rose frantically running to the *** end of the Titanic to save themselves.

Take a deep breath, relax and enjoy flying your drones. Enjoy the new flying modes that come with the newer updates. I for one can't wait to try my new DJI goggles.

Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform
I'll bet its nothing very hazardous to us Pilots..

But even if It does log our flights in real time, I only fly around a nearby park and the occasional distance test into the forest nearby
so I've got nothing to be fearful of having my flight scoped out by DJI.. SO my thinking is, as long as you are not doing anything illegally or stupid with your mavic, nothing to worry about, right?

Just enjoy the flying.... :)

I agree to a point, but if I'm not doing anything illegal or stupid then DJI has no business logging my flights.

Reactions: Blades
I agree to a point, but if I'm not doing anything illegal or stupid then DJI has no business logging my flights.
I agree and I am also concerned about data they may use or how much will be used to send information. How do we know it's only flight log information? They have access to our phones and all of our information stored on them. This is a Chinese company right? This is the information Age and information is worth a lot. I look at something online and all my adds are what I looked at on all other sites lol.

Reactions: Vilco and jwjonesjr
After reading through all 19 pages I can't help but LOL at the guys clinging to .400. You guys remind of me of Jack and Rose frantically running to the *** end of the Titanic to save themselves.

Take a deep breath, relax and enjoy flying your drones. Enjoy the new flying modes that come with the newer updates. I for one can't wait to try my new DJI goggles.
Why is that funny? Let's see... stay with a stable working firmware that does everything I want and need it to or update to get modes I will never use and risk getting all sorts of problems that others here have experienced. Yeah I can see how that is funny.

Why is that funny? Let's see... stay with a stable working firmware that does everything I want and need it to or update to get modes I will never use and risk getting all sorts of problems that others here have experienced. Yeah I can see how that is funny.

It's amusing because by sticking to .400 you have forever limited yourself to that FW, because you didn't want to be limited by DJI's "encroachment" to our flying freedom. And just like my Titanic analogy how long do you think you can sustain that? In the meantime I'll be flying in airplane mode through my DJI goggles. Oh, the irony.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdober