DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anybody else mistrust RTH?

I like the RTH. I just make sure it is coming in the right direction and then usually just put down the controller and watch it fly in. I enjoy the fact that the autonomous features are so capable. I usually use my drone for autonomous mapping anyway so I am very comfortable with it doing its own thing. I just practice manual flying occasionally to keep my manual skills up.

Old air force quote..."the superior pilot uses his superior knowledge to stay out of situations that might require the use of his superior skill". Being a cautious type, I do a precision take-off, vertically to 40ft, then fly away some distance, yaw the Mavic, then engage Home Lock, pull back on the RHS to check, then start the mission. At the end I fly it back to the neighbourhood of the Home Point, then engage RTH to check it works and let it auto land. Afterwards I examine the sensor data to see if any snags. So far so good - but I nearly lost my old P3 4K by being careless.

Reactions: MavPro75
As others said, never use it. make sure before take-off though that the RTH height is correct for location, and its been recorded. Tried it against Spark & P4P+ and they all pretty much nail the RTH point.

I have had just over 100 flights and had never tested or had to us RTH but I had to us it this weekend. I was out over an island 2.4 k out from my location line of site when the dj app shut down could not get it back up and running after about 5 or so min of trying and my shorts full of sh#%t lol I hit RTH and there she was on her way back to me . After all that I well say test RTH out even if it's just once so you know how it all works . Got my MP back and new shorts the old shorts went out in garbage wife wouldn't wash them lol

I use RTH all the time. Also, I keep a close watch on the map in the app and make sure it isn't misbehaving or wandering off. When it gets close to landing, like 10 feet above ground, I take manual control and land it.
Once I lost all signal to the aircraft, and was kinda confident that the aircraft would RTH on it's own, and it did!

If you set the parameters correctly , have good GPS signal and the little red arrow on the map is showing the correct orientation , RTH works perfect every time . I've never had it not RTH even back in the NAZA flight controller days on my Flamewheel 450 . I probably use it about 1 in 3 or 4 flights just to see it do its thang . The Mavics RTH with precision landing is amazing in its level of performance .

I must admit I have no reason to and the couple of times I have tested it it has worked flawlessly but I still find myself always flying home and landing manually. I just get very nervous letting the drone do it's own thing.
I have a hard time trusting the software as well. I've tested it and it does always work but I cant afford to lose my drone and replace it so i tend to trust myself more than i trust software and gps satellites!

Reactions: Rbruz
I must admit I have no reason to and the couple of times I have tested it it has worked flawlessly but I still find myself always flying home and landing manually. I just get very nervous letting the drone do it's own thing.
I was flying in Colorado out in the middle of nowhere on a cattle ranch. There was a 14,000 foot mountain range about 4 miles away. Nothing interfered with my signal so I decided to fly as far as I could while carefully watching the signal strength. All was going well and it flew approximately 2.3 miles and I decided that even though I had about 60% signal strength I noticed a statement saying I had enough battery to return home if I did so immediately. It was morning at approximately 9:30 AM and where I was standing on flat ground the altitude over sea level was approximately 6000 feet already. The sun was at my back. I decided to press return to home so that I could concentrate on the camera and know that the drone was headed to me in a straight line. As I watched through my iPhone the drone turned around and stopped. Assuming that my signal was somehow lost slightly I pressed return to home again and it continued to make the familiar beeping sound indicating that it was doing so. I thought the cameras sensors We're confused by the direct sunlight and that it stopped because it recognized the blinding light and could not see potential objects so I tried to turn the drone around and fly backwards home. No response so I tried to lower the altitude no response. I try to fly sideways in a sweep toward my take off location. Nothing. I kept my finger on the joystick for altitude pressed all the way down just in case the signal Awareness woke up. I knew I would no longer make it home so my goal was to drop altitude and landed safely somewhere along the way if I could get it to move. The signal strength still appeared decent and eventually the drone begin to slowly come down so I went with throttle forward as fast as I could toward home. As I neared low battery and knew that it would try to land anywhere I lowered my altitude to 35 feet and I was still moving home rapidly now. The drone needed to land after returning approximately 1.2 miles so I knew I had a decent drive left in my pick up truck to go get it. Fortunately it's settled Saufley in a cow pasture and I carefully chose a spot looking downward where the grass was extremely short. Although this was a close call I got it back with no damage and I tested return to home several times since then. One additional time it completely failed to respond soon after. Since then it has never been a problem and I have tried it at least five or six other times. It seems that the trouble happened when I was quite a distance away so to all of you who fly great distances be careful because apparently signal strength can affect return to home even though that's precisely when it is supposed to do that on it's own!

I was flying in Colorado out in the middle of nowhere on a cattle ranch. There was a 14,000 foot mountain range about 4 miles away. Nothing interfered with my signal so I decided to fly as far as I could while carefully watching the signal strength. All was going well and it flew approximately 2.3 miles and I decided that even though I had about 60% signal strength I noticed a statement saying I had enough battery to return home if I did so immediately. It was morning at approximately 9:30 AM and where I was standing on flat ground the altitude over sea level was approximately 6000 feet already. The sun was at my back. I decided to press return to home so that I could concentrate on the camera and know that the drone was headed to me in a straight line. As I watched through my iPhone the drone turned around and stopped. Assuming that my signal was somehow lost slightly I pressed return to home again and it continued to make the familiar beeping sound indicating that it was doing so. I thought the cameras sensors We're confused by the direct sunlight and that it stopped because it recognized the blinding light and could not see potential objects so I tried to turn the drone around and fly backwards home. No response so I tried to lower the altitude no response. I try to fly sideways in a sweep toward my take off location. Nothing. I kept my finger on the joystick for altitude pressed all the way down just in case the signal Awareness woke up. I knew I would no longer make it home so my goal was to drop altitude and landed safely somewhere along the way if I could get it to move. The signal strength still appeared decent and eventually the drone begin to slowly come down so I went with throttle forward as fast as I could toward home. As I neared low battery and knew that it would try to land anywhere I lowered my altitude to 35 feet and I was still moving home rapidly now. The drone needed to land after returning approximately 1.2 miles so I knew I had a decent drive left in my pick up truck to go get it. Fortunately it's settled Saufley in a cow pasture and I carefully chose a spot looking downward where the grass was extremely short. Although this was a close call I got it back with no damage and I tested return to home several times since then. One additional time it completely failed to respond soon after. Since then it has never been a problem and I have tried it at least five or six other times. It seems that the trouble happened when I was quite a distance away so to all of you who fly great distances be careful because apparently signal strength can affect return to home even though that's precisely when it is supposed to do that on it's own!
I apologize for my dictation being butchered by Siri folks. "Softly" is to be substituted for "Saufley" that Siri chose lol. One additional important point. On my iPhone screen I did get a warning that there was an obstacle in the path at an altitude of 286 ft and there were no poles or towers so that gave me for the reason to believe the forward sensing system and camera were communicating that something was in the way. There was absolutely no chance that it was a bird because it was continuous and would not let go of that warning even though I deleted the warning it returned.

I like to test RTH every so often like others here have stated. I mostly manually fly back with the low battery warning signaling me so that I get used to flying under those conditions. I freaked out the first couple of times I flew with the alarms blaring. .

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Good information.

I have a hard time trusting the software as well. I've tested it and it does always work but I cant afford to lose my drone and replace it so i tend to trust myself more than i trust software and gps satellites!
Me thinks you trust software every time you turn it on

Reactions: TerryJ
I do not use RTH on a daily base but sometimes. Yesterday I did and the drone almost flew into a building.

Everything looked good already, the Mavic was hovering over the RTH spot. Suddenly the Mavic announced it had "found the point for precision landing" (or similar) and moved relatively quickly away in a random direction. I canceled RTH but I needed a few seconds to realize that I need to confirm on the screen that I really want to cancel RTH...

I had around 30 visitors around me and it happened at maybe 10 meters. Everybody was aware that the drone was out of control for a moment. Not exactly how to build up trust...

What did I learn?

- RTH itself works reliable and can be used but I prefer to land manually
- For automatic landing I will not use the precision landing feature again so I will switch it off in the menu
- In case of problems with RTH I will not cancel RTH again but instead I will use the PAUSE button

Reactions: Cometman
I do not use RTH on a daily base but sometimes. Yesterday I did and the drone almost flew into a building.

Everything looked good already, the Mavic was hovering over the RTH spot. Suddenly the Mavic announced it had "found the point for precision landing" (or similar) and moved relatively quickly away in a random direction. I canceled RTH but I needed a few seconds to realize that I need to confirm on the screen that I really want to cancel RTH...

I had around 30 visitors around me and it happened at maybe 10 meters. Everybody was aware that the drone was out of control for a moment. Not exactly how to build up trust...

What did I learn?

- For automatic landing I will not use the precision landing feature again so I will switch it off in the menu
- In case of problems with RTH I will not cancel RTH again but instead I will use the PAUSE button

Wow!!

Reactions: MrsTreat
I trust it. It comes in very handy. Just make sure to "please check home point on the map"

Reactions: MrsTreat

What did I learn?

Always set the RTH altitude "higher" than obstacles in it's path. Obstacle Avoidance is turned "off" in RTH

Always set the RTH altitude "higher" than obstacles in it's path. Obstacle Avoidance is turned "off" in RTH
That's not what the User Manual says. If obstacle avoidance is turned off, RTH won't turn it on, but RTH shouldn't turn it off, as far as I can tell. I haven't tested it, however.

Besides the annoying beep, my tests with RTH have been brief and unpredictable. I assumed it ascended to the set height for RTH and then did what I thought were strange movements so I cancelled. Not very trusting of it at this point and I prefer to manually land the MP myself every time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15