DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic Shoot Video or Watercolor Paintings? Don’t settle. Get Involved!

The mavics video looks a tad bit better than my P3S, not by much and im fine with that, I was fine with the P3S camera, i only bought the Mavic for its size and range. You can still make good videos with it.

Plus im just a hobbyist, I dont use drones for work, if I did id buy a P4p.

I don't get it.

To me, some of you are over analyzing the capability of a $1000 flying camera.

The image produced is nowhere near terrible. If you wanted a prosumer image, you should've purchased a prosumer drone. I get good footage from what I expect from the Mavic Pro. And I've seen amazing footage produced with it.

It's all a matter of perception and expectation. The Mavic isn't going to evolve into that if it isn't there already.

For example:

That's good footage, if you ask me.

I don't get it.

The image produced is nowhere near terrible. If you wanted a prosumer image, you should've purchased a prosumer drone. I get good footage from what I expect from the Mavic Pro. And I've seen amazing footage produced with it.

It's all a matter of perception and expectation. The Mavic isn't going to evolve into that if it isn't there already.

For example:

Do you have any other DJI drone to compare the Mavic videos too?

I updated everything earlier. Still had watercolour & muddy trees. Decided to try without the ND4 filter that I always have on. I've always had to use at least the ND4 to get anywhere near shutter speed of 60. That seemed to have a positive effect. No water colour and the definition of branches was greatly improved. Just wondering now if the Firmware can handle computing the adjustment that a filter requires? If we took a poll. How many of us having watercolour issues are using any type of filter? My default setup is ND4 filter. UltraHD (3840) at 30fps. Art -1,-1,0.

The only ways I can think of that could cause an ND filter to have an effect on video quality are:

1. Not compensating enough for the lower amount of light hitting the sensor (i.e. not increasing the exposure enough).
2. The quality of the filter glass / plastic significantly degrading image quality.
3. The lower amount of light entering the camera causing problems with autofocus.
4. There being some technical problem with the Mavic where it doesn't do a good job when the shutter speed is too low (but this would be a problem even without an ND filter).

Other than these, I don't see how it's feasible for an ND filter to affect video quality.

#1 above is easy to address... just make sure the overall exposures are similar when comparing with and without filter.

#2 is also easy to address... look to see if it has an effect on still image quality.

#3 can be addressed by focusing before putting on the ND filter.

#4 can be addressed by shooting in low enough light conditions that you can achieve low shutter speeds without the need for an ND filter.

I've seen lots of discussion on various forums and YouTube as to whether ND filters are causing the watercolour problem. I think this question can be easily answered by doing what I suggest above. I would love to do these tests myself, but unfortunately my Mavic is back to DJI for the third time due to receiving multiple defective units. Maybe one of these days they'll send me one that works properly...

I don't get it.

For example:

A little story for you.
When I was at University a friend of mine who was also into computers was also a professional musician. Every song I listened to he hated! He would constantly complain that the person playing instrument X was off key and that this was bad and that was bad etc. The only thing that made him happy was listening to classical music by the greats.

Same thing here. If your into pro photography or have a good DSLR and video cam then you see every problem with the Mavic Video and pictures. If your coming from a background of using Cell phone cameras then the Mavic is wonderful. I am not being a snob, I am just stating a fact that once you have gotten your feet wet into pro photography and know what to look for, the problems are so blaring that they just ruin it for you. I guess ignorance is truly Bliss. At first glance the Mavic Video does look ok but then as you take it in you see lot of problems like blur, noise, glare, poor dynamic range, over saturation, hot spots. That sample you provided shows most of those problems but most people will blissfully not notice.

The Mavic is Ok for what it is. As I said it's built to a price, I can accept that.

Rob

Reactions: CyberNate
A little story for you.
When I was at University a friend of mine who was also into computers was also a professional musician. Every song I listened to he hated! He would constantly complain that the person playing instrument X was off key and that this was bad and that was bad etc. The only thing that made him happy was listening to classical music by the greats.

Same thing here. If your into pro photography or have a good DSLR and video cam then you see every problem with the Mavic Video and pictures. If your coming from a background of using Cell phone cameras then the Mavic is wonderful. I am not being a snob, I am just stating a fact that once you have gotten your feet wet into pro photography and know what to look for, the problems are so blaring that they just ruin it for you. I guess ignorance is truly Bliss. At first glance the Mavic Video does look ok but then as you take it in you see lot of problems like blur, noise, glare, poor dynamic range, over saturation, hot spots. That sample you provided shows most of those problems but most people will blissfully not notice.

The Mavic is Ok for what it is. As I said it's built to a price, I can accept that.

Rob
Ive shot with DSLR's for years and I see nothing wrong with the quality for its price point, whats the use complaining about the camera when we know its on the cheaper side of the DJI line its good for what it is.

So far, the Mavic's video quality has been hugely disappointing for me. I expect it to be at least as good as a high end smartphone's camera, but from my experience so far, it's not. The main problem in my opinion is on the computational side. In other words, either a bad codec, bad encoding hardware, bad noise reduction algorithm, etc. I usually cringe when I see people say a problem can be fixed with a firmware update (because they almost never are), but in this case, aside from the encoding hardware possibility, I don't see why DJI couldn't solve the problem with a proper firmware update. And I would imagine it's not a hardware encoding issue, since the watercolour effect doesn't happen in all cases.

For me, the main problem is the watercolour effect. It really makes the video terrible when it occurs, at least if you're watching it on anything other than a tiny phone screen. I'd rather have large amounts of noise, because at least that could be dealt with in an effective way (using a plugin such as Neat Video). So really, I suspect DJI just needs to get their act together and come up with reasonable software for the Mavic.

Aside from this though, I do agree with others that the colours are not great on the Mavic videos. I find it really difficult to get video that looks photorealistic, since the colours always look off in some way (either too saturated, too dull, or just too shifted from what they are in reality). And it's particularly hard to deal with in post since different parts of the scene seem to be affected differently. But overall, I'd say this is less of a problem than the watercolour effect.

And don't forget the flickering problem the Mavic (and apparently the Phantom line) suffers from. At least this can be dealt with somewhat effectively in post (using Flicker Free, for example).

And again, I'm saying all this in the context of comparing it to high end smartphone cameras, which I think is quite a reasonable expectation.

Overall, I was worried the Mavic would be too good to be true... I guess it was.

A little story for you.

Rob
I'm not new to photography and know exactly what you're saying. I'm advanced enough to know what to expect from the camera of the Mavic Pro. And simply stating, if any MP owner expected prosumer image from a consumer drone, that is no ones fault but your own.

I'm not saying there isnt an issue at hand here, but to say the footage is terrible is simply perception and expectations not being met. Because the Mavic Pro can produce excellent footage in excellent conditions, just like many entry level cameras out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kestrel
If you want professional quality above an inspire by all means shell out the money for a camera and then buy a drone to mount it.. these drones are consumer drones I dont see why someone needs to fuss over that.

What other consumer drone in this size and price produce better quality? None that im aware of.

Last edited:
Reactions: SLVSRFR
Do you get watercolour effect?

Oh yes - plenty of it.

I've had in low light (dull and flat) and in bright winter sunshine (harsh and contrasty).

I've been following the discussions on the expected verses actual or perceived quality. I too have used DSLR's, phones, good quality prime optics and super zooms.

The trouble is, I have shot good quality video on my Mavic in low light and bright light and been happy with the quality. Yes the sharpness and saturation are way overdone and obviously on my 40" 4K monitor the shortcomings are apparent - BUT the overall result is still very good for what it is.

However.

When the Watercolour issues arises the quality is abysmal and wouldn't be acceptable on any camera in this price range. It converts the Mavic into a good FPV toy - not a flying camera.

It's just a very annoying software issue - that * is* fixable.

I accept the dynamic range and bandwidth restrictions will have to wait for the next version. But fix the software so we can safely turn down the sharpening and saturation and most of us can be happy bunnies.

My NTSC/PAL switch has so far saved my videos - just upgraded the firmware but no chance to fly again yet.

Reactions: borislip
If you want professional quality above an inspire by all means shell out the money for a camera and then buy a drone to mount it.. these drones are consumer drones I dont see why someone needs to fuss over that.

What other consumer drone in this size and price produce better quality? None that im aware of.

It's true that there may not be any other drone out there currently at the Mavic's price point and level of portability that has better video quality. But I think part of the problem is the Mavic has been marketed (either by DJI directly or the early reviewers) as an ultra portable version of the P4, which produces good quality amateur level video... for example, something that will look decent to good as a 1080p YouTube video. But when the watercolour issue in particular occurs with the Mavic, even in the context of a casual YT video, it looks pretty sub-par. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm not expecting prosumer level video out of this thing... but I am expecting video of similar quality at least to a high end smartphone. I think this is a pretty fair expectation, even at the Mavic's price point.

Oh yes - plenty of it.

I've had in low light (dull and flat) and in bright winter sunshine (harsh and contrasty).

I've been following the discussions on the expected verses actual or perceived quality. I too have used DSLR's, phones, good quality prime optics and super zooms.

The trouble is, I have shot good quality video on my Mavic in low light and bright light and been happy with the quality. Yes the sharpness and saturation are way overdone and obviously on my 40" 4K monitor the shortcomings are apparent - BUT the overall result is still very good for what it is.

However.

When the Watercolour issues arises the quality is abysmal and wouldn't be acceptable on any camera in this price range. It converts the Mavic into a good FPV toy - not a flying camera.

It's just a very annoying software issue - that * is* fixable.

I accept the dynamic range and bandwidth restrictions will have to wait for the next version. But fix the software so we can safely turn down the sharpening and saturation and most of us can be happy bunnies.

My NTSC/PAL switch has so far saved my videos - just upgraded the firmware but no chance to fly again yet.

Agree with you 100%!

It's true that there may not be any other drone out there currently at the Mavic's price point and level of portability that has better video quality. But I think part of the problem is the Mavic has been marketed (either by DJI directly or the early reviewers) as an ultra portable version of the P4, which produces good quality amateur level video... for example, something that will look decent to good as a 1080p YouTube video. But when the watercolour issue in particular occurs with the Mavic, even in the context of a casual YT video, it looks pretty sub-par. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm not expecting prosumer level video out of this thing... but I am expecting video of similar quality at least to a high end smartphone. I think this is a pretty fair expectation, even at the Mavic's price point.
Mine hasnt produced watercolor ive been using it every day in one form or another and it still produces good quality video. So its not all mavics that have the issue. If it was 100% all mavics then yeah the claim that it sucks might hold some water but its not.

Mine hasnt produced watercolor ive been using it every day in one form or another and it still produces good quality video. So its not all mavics that have the issue. If it was 100% all mavics then yeah the claim that it sucks might hold some water but its not.
I agree here too. @joshnl ....I can see how you would be inclined to judge the Mavic as a whole based on your experience. I really do hope DJI can resolve this issue with those affected. I just don't think it is a general fact with all Mavics though. The video isn't spectacular, but in a working model, it's pretty good!

Even if it's true that it doesn't affect all Mavics, it clearly affects some non-trivial number of them. So I don't think it's fair to say the claim that it sucks (to highly and roughly paraphrase what I said in my posts) doesn't hold water. If it was a small percentage of clearly defective units (as defined by DJI's QC standards), then I'd agree. But clearly, since so many of these affected Mavics are making it into the wild, their QC must deem it as up to product specifications, and therefore it's fair game to criticize it as a negative feature of the product.

So far, the Mavic's video quality has been hugely disappointing for me. I expect it to be at least as good as a high end smartphone's camera, but from my experience so far, it's not
--- SNIP ---

Yes I was also expecting it to be on Par with an iPhone 6. It seemed reasonable that they could easily fit a camera and the chips in there to make that work. Also with the close relationship with Apple I figured they might give them a hand with a good price on left over inventory. Unfortunately the video is closer to an iphone 4 and at times goes down into the realm of a toy camera.

This watercolour effect that everyone talks about just seems to me like really horrible Dynamic Range from the sensor or possibly hardware /software. I have no idea where the problem lies but IMHO it is a Low Dynamic Range issue.

Here is an example of that with another camera.

343861517_1200.jpg

To me this Looks like the same watercolour stuff guys keep talking about.

Rob

Reactions: peros550
The Mavic is by no means a low end, made to price drone.Especially when its aptly named Mavic PRO. Its pretty much the same price as a P3P back in the day and the P3P has a much better camera compared to the mavic. I dont care what anyone says. I have hundreds of videos from my p3p and they are 1000% better than my Mavic's under any lighting conditions..
I dont agree to the fact that we should expect lower quality images from the mavic because it is $300 cheaper than the P4P.
Don't quote me, but I think the camera on the Mav is the same as the P4, sensor and all. And the P4P comparison shouldn't exist because that is a whole different camera and sensor, and we actually SHOULD expect lower quality images than that camera!
Maybe your p3p vids are better because your Mavic is affected with the issue surrounding this thread, but not all Mavic units are affected. I sure hope DJI can come up with a fix for everyone!

Reactions: RitterRunkel
Even if it's true that it doesn't affect all Mavics, it clearly affects some non-trivial number of them. So I don't think it's fair to say the claim that it sucks (to highly and roughly paraphrase what I said in my posts) doesn't hold water. If it was a small percentage of clearly defective units (as defined by DJI's QC standards), then I'd agree. But clearly, since so many of these affected Mavics are making it into the wild, their QC must deem it as up to product specifications, and therefore it's fair game to criticize it as a negative feature of the product.
I see where your going with this statement. That is a good point. I wonder what the actual percentage is.

I wonder when the majority of these mavics were bought. A lot of times when companies go all out to produce a product at a fast pace to meet demand QC issues happen. With all the complaining about pre orders not shipping I wonder if QC just said screw it ship them all out as fast as you can..

I disagree that they all suck because not all do..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe