DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic Shoot Video or Watercolor Paintings? Don’t settle. Get Involved!

Mmmh. Why should filters have an influence? But it's right; I'm using filters as well ... manual shutter speed, max 1/120 ...

Is this some kind of "low shutter speed means dark environment, therefore increase NR" by DJI?

Mmmh. Why should filters have an influence? But it's right; I'm using filters as well ... manual shutter speed, max 1/120 ...

Is this some kind of "low shutter speed means dark environment, therefore increase NR" by DJI?
No. It's generally accepted in video that to get smooth footage the best settings are that your shutter speed should be twice your frame rate. (My default setup after experimenting with them all is 4K (3840) at 30fps. NTSC. Art. -1,0,0). As the aperture is fixed, the only way to slow the shutter speed down on the Mavic is to use ND filters. They don't darken the scene. Just slow the shutter.

Another firmware update today and no mention for any enhancement in regards to video/image quality.

No. It's generally accepted in video that to get smooth footage the best settings are that your shutter speed should be twice your frame rate. (My default setup after experimenting with them all is 4K (3840) at 30fps. NTSC. Art. -1,0,0). As the aperture is fixed, the only way to slow the shutter speed down on the Mavic is to use ND filters. They don't darken the scene. Just slow the shutter.
You got me wrong. I was afraid of DJI applying stronger NR - implicitly because shutter times got quite slow ...

They darken the scene. They work like sun glasses. Actually the shutter reduces its speed to compensate for the lost light. However, if there is not enough light (etc shooting on a cloudy day or during dusk) the reduced shutter speed may not be enough to compensate for the lost light. In that case, you may have to use a different value ND filter (ND4 , ND8) or not use it at all.

I only have this issue when using an ND filter and setting my FPS to 30 and shutter to 60. It's made my filters a waste of money. Other than that though, I don't seem to have this issue at all. So for me, it's 100% appearing at low shutter speeds. I can film using normal or D-Log or whatever and use 0-0-0 or -1 -1 -1 all with no watercolour effect. Slap an ND filter on, set my manual shutter speed, and bam, I'm drowning in watercolours.

Forgive me if you are already expert on photography, but I have a question.

Is it perhaps cloudy or grayish where you are, and the use of the 30fps and 1/60th shutter speed with whatever ND filter you used has resulted in high ISO? Perhaps you need less light reduction (a weaker ND), to get the ISO back into a 'normal' range, say 200 or less? In situations like that, I will use either no ND or just an ND2 or ND4. I also have a variable ND for laziness purposes, which I calibrated very carefully with Sharpie marks on its edge for each stop, and one index mark on the outer filter.

Really" They told you that? Thats ridiculous! Thanks for sharing. And also If we keep getting feed this comment about focus being the culprit, (which I'm sure it is sometimes) I'm going to flip. a) I was diligent on "tap" focusing on a house, in a hover, from 30 feet away and b) Does this really look like a focus issue to anyone? Blow it up. It's a watercolor. Totally a sensor or compression issue. In fact I would say this image is a very well-focused watercolor. Sorry about the rant all, but geez.View attachment 2365

Can you post the original, that has not been run through Photoshop CC 2014?

Another firmware update today and no mention for any enhancement in regards to video/image quality.
I've always suspected that more issues get addressed in firmware updates than gets listed. Apple Bluetooth audio quality in the early days wasn't too good. Progressively improved with each update. Never got mentioned in the release notes. I suspect they slip improvements in without announcing them too loudly as to do so would be an admission that there was an issue in the first place. I'm convinced DJI will fix this. It's still early days with the Mavic.

I've always suspected that more issues get addressed in firmware updates than gets listed. Apple Bluetooth audio quality in the early days wasn't too good. Progressively improved with each update. Never got mentioned in the release notes. I suspect they slip improvements in without announcing them too loudly as to do so would be an admission that there was an issue in the first place. I'm convinced DJI will fix this. It's still early days with the Mavic.

I would say 6 months isn't early days going by the Phantom 4 to Phantom 4 pro upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: borislip
So do you predict a Mavic 2 being released in the near future?
No, they can barely keep up with demand now, they would be killing themselves by releasing a new one now, plus all the returns on this generation and then the version 2 returns that would happen. I think theres little chance of them bringing a new one out soon.

Sent from my HTCD160LVWPP using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: ggessel
No, they can barely keep up with demand now, they would be killing themselves by releasing a new one now, plus all the returns on this generation and then the version 2 returns that would happen. I think theres little chance of them bringing a new one out soon.

Sent from my HTCD160LVWPP using MavicPilots mobile app

I just want one with a Hasselblad camera on it :rolleyes:

Reactions: DroneMann
Forgive me if you are already expert on photography, but I have a question.

Is it perhaps cloudy or grayish where you are, and the use of the 30fps and 1/60th shutter speed with whatever ND filter you used has resulted in high ISO? Perhaps you need less light reduction (a weaker ND), to get the ISO back into a 'normal' range, say 200 or less? In situations like that, I will use either no ND or just an ND2 or ND4. I also have a variable ND for laziness purposes, which I calibrated very carefully with Sharpie marks on its edge for each stop, and one index mark on the outer filter.

Well I did only try one filter, a Polar Pro Vivid ND8. It was a reasonably sunny day. ISO was at 100. I didn't notice there was a problem until I reviewed the footage later on. I believe my settings were ok... I need to do more testing. I'd already flown a full battery that day without the filter and have that footage too, which looks great, from exactly the same position. I'll upload some comparisons to YT tonight and post some links. Perhaps I'm overlooking something, but it seems like a software issue, for me because I can get good and bad footage on the same day. And for other folk who reset camera settings and that fixes it for them. Let's hope DJI can get to the bottom of this.

Reactions: JPMavic
Well I did only try one filter, a Polar Pro Vivid ND8. It was a reasonably sunny day. ISO was at 100. I didn't notice there was a problem until I reviewed the footage later on. I believe my settings were ok... I need to do more testing. I'd already flown a full battery that day without the filter and have that footage too, which looks great, from exactly the same position. I'll upload some comparisons to YT tonight and post some links. Perhaps I'm overlooking something, but it seems like a software issue, for me because I can get good and bad footage on the same day. And for other folk who reset camera settings and that fixes it for them. Let's hope DJI can get to the bottom of this.

I sure hope so! I have noticed a bit of mushiness on some of my videos, too, but not as bad as some of you guys. I originally attributed it to maybe I used too slow of a shutter or whatever, or maybe I need to use a flatter profile, but some of this is downright awful! It makes me wonder if maybe they have different quality sensors and they tweak the firmware to accomodate them based on supply. This is VERY weird stuff!

I do look forward to the links. I'd try some experiments, too, but I wrecked my bird really badly, so it's going to the shop.

Last edited:
I agree .. it's software

I really hope that they can fix it because right now getting half way decent video out of this camera is like trying to get milk from a bull.

My personal feeling is that DJI is not really all that good at making camera hardware and that's why they just purchased Hasselblad.

Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xyggi