DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic Shoot Video or Watercolor Paintings? Don’t settle. Get Involved!

Set to public a few days ago. Thank you. DJI just reported the camera and gimbal are being replaced. Defective sensor issue. Hopefully this will fix the issues.
Well after 2 weeks in Repair DJI opted to send me a NEW Mavic Pro to replace mine. Indeed it was a sensor issue that was causing over peaking, highlights in the video including artifact and noise. Flew it today and the video looks GREAT! So if you are experiencing a similar quality issue I recommend don't hesitate in contacting DJI and sending your Mavic back for repair. Sigh of relief!

Well after 2 weeks in Repair DJI opted to send me a NEW Mavic Pro to replace mine. Indeed it was a sensor issue that was causing over peaking, highlights in the video including artifact and noise. Flew it today and the video looks GREAT! So if you are experiencing a similar quality issue I recommend don't hesitate in contacting DJI and sending your Mavic back for repair. Sigh of relief!

That's great news although I have to say, I don't think your camera had the same issue as most in this thread...! Your original upload was terrifying!

Glad you got it fixed, would love to see how it looks now?!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Great! Sent mine two days ago. Did it take two weeks in total? Sent it to Netherlands?

I have been having image & video quality with mine as well. I have been biting my tongue though because I don't know how much is me vs the mavic.
One thing I have learned, as a few others here have stated, is that for stills, shooting in RAW is a must... otherwise, it is just complete crap. Even in RAW, I can't say that I'm impressed with the quality... but at least it is now tolerable for the most part.
Video for me has been really hit & miss. I often see strange artifacts and the watercolor effect too. It seems like some things that factor into this have been...
- Moving too fast while flying too close to the ground. It seems like the mavic (or maybe my settings) simply can't keep up with faster motion.
- As others have said, it seems like it doesn't do well in low light.
- I still struggle with the **** focusing. Yes, tap to focus... it's hard to explain... but it is really hit & miss for me.

All-in-all, I sometimes have beautiful video and sometimes it's *horrible* and I'm not always able to figure out why such a large quality gap. As for some of the artifacts and jerkiness I have witnessed, I'm hoping that ND filter will be the solution. I have those on order from DJI.... but it looks like they're not going to ship for a while.

Hi, I too agree with your comments. I have since bought the Polar Pro ND 4, 8, 16 filters. In normal daylight (blue sky) found that ND8 brings the Shutter speed back to around 100 to 160 which is where it should be while recording in PAL 1080 50P, remember, shutter speed needs to be double frame rate so if you shoot 30p then shutter should be around 60, a bit higher won't hurt. (Australia) I have only selected "style - Custom" in camera settings and -2 Sharpness, 0 Contrast, -2 Colour. No other settings for picture or profile have been changed. Now, with the ND filter I find it acheives 3 positive things for my video. 1 - Reduces reflection and glare so the colours pop out without being exagurated, Video motion becomes smooth, you can see the difference. 3 - reduces the moire and aliasing "the shimmering effect around sharp objects which Mavic 1080 is becoming known for".
It's not perfect but usable. Some distant objects trees, grass apoear a little muddy but close subjects look in focus and image pops out looking a little more polished. I still feel my video quality is less predictable than my Phantom 3 Pro BUT, I am finding my results are better over all due to the better flight control of the Mavic. What i'm trying to say is the video quality ( shimmer and jaggys around objects) still rares its head from time to time unike the Phantom 3 Pro. It is disappointing for those of us relying on 1080 50p or 60p. I don't like using 4k or 2.7k 24 or 30p for tracking shots as movements can become jittery and smudged. It's ok for wide slow scenery but I don't think it works for fast moving frames such as panning quickly such as when using Active Track. DJI, are you listening, CAN YOU DO SOMETHING TO FIX THE ALIASING AND MOIRE 1080 50P 60P ON THE MAVIC, you got it right on the P3P and we want to move forward from that with portability and not at the cost of image quality. Again, I am talking 1080 50P, 60P here, not jittery 2.7k and 4k.
I forgot to mention that my Mavic is only 3 days old with the latest firmware .300 . This firmware does not seem to be available on DJI's web site as yet so not sure what has been changed since.200 firmware. I think most people on the Mavic forums are using earlier firmwares.

Last edited:
Reactions: Manfrenjensen
Hi, I too agree with your comments. I have since bought the Polar Pro ND 4, 8, 16 filters. In normal daylight (blue sky) found that ND8 brings the Shutter speed back to around 100 to 160 which is where it should be while recording in PAL 1080 50P, remember, shutter speed needs to be double frame rate so if you shoot 30p then shutter should be around 60, a bit higher won't hurt. (Australia) I have only selected "style - Custom" in camera settings and -2 Sharpness, 0 Contrast, -2 Colour. No other settings for picture or profile have been changed. Now, with the ND filter I find it acheives 3 positive things for my video. 1 - Reduces reflection and glare so the colours pop out without being exagurated, Video motion becomes smooth, you can see the difference. 3 - reduces the moire and aliasing "the shimmering effect around sharp objects which Mavic 1080 is becoming known for".
It's not perfect but usable. Some distant objects trees, grass apoear a little muddy but close subjects look in focus and image pops out looking a little more polished. I still feel my video quality is less predictable than my Phantom 3 Pro BUT, I am finding my results are better over all due to the better flight control of the Mavic. What i'm trying to say is the video quality ( shimmer and jaggys around objects) still rares its head from time to time unike the Phantom 3 Pro. It is disappointing for those of us relying on 1080 50p or 60p. I don't like using 4k or 2.7k 24 or 30p for tracking shots as movements can become jittery and smudged. It's ok for wide slow scenery but I don't think it works for fast moving frames such as panning quickly such as when using Active Track. DJI, are you listening, CAN YOU DO SOMETHING TO FIX THE ALIASING AND MOIRE 1080 50P 60P ON THE MAVIC, you got it right on the P3P and we want to move forward from that with portability and not at the cost of image quality. Again, I am talking 1080 50P, 60P here, not jittery 2.7k and 4k.

Good to know. Thanks for the info. I cancelled the DJI filters as they were going to take too long and ordered Polar Pro. They will be here Tuesday. Also hoping to see improved results like you did.
I have always recorded in 4K. I never thought to go lower for moving subjects. I'll have to try that out.

Good to know. Thanks for the info. I cancelled the DJI filters as they were going to take too long and ordered Polar Pro. They will be here Tuesday. Also hoping to see improved results like you did.
I have always recorded in 4K. I never thought to go lower for moving subjects. I'll have to try that out.
. ND filters really really help. I am so happy I ordered some. I got mine from Taco RC but I have heard the polar pros are also great.:)

Trying to get hold of some filters whilst travelling at the minute. There's a DJI store here Bangkok, hoping they've got some in stock. Anyone had any experience with their ND filters? Regarding photos with the mavic.. you're really missing out if you don't shoot in RAW. All that good data, I hate having any camera manufacturer process my photos. I wish smartphones could shoot in RAW.

I have been racking my brain over the poor video quality especially in LOW LIGHT. I have tried manual settings as well as auto and at this point am beginning to think that the camera is DEFECTIVE. There is way too much noise and artifact the likes I have never seen on a DJI camera before. I have the INSPIRE 1 and have had Phantom 3 and 4. Shooting at 4K 24P and its really unusable here's a small sample of the shiny, noisy footage. Any and all helpful suggestions are welcome. I have attached 3 4k-24p frame grabs , full daylight and low light. It's baffling how bad the quality looks. Stills look fine but the video really poor quality.

On the DJI site, I read where it says the Mavic camera is not optimized for low light but this should be rather obvious.

Reactions: couver
I wish smartphones could shoot in RAW.

Your iPhone can, with 3rd party apps, since iOS 10. I use "Manual - RAW custom exposure camera". But the Jpeg engine in iPhones is quite good, it is very difficult to get more out of the RAWs. You can make different decisions regarding noise/sharpening tradeoffs though.

I've just seen this video and the quality seems great. No watercolor painting at all while filming the coconut trees..
And apparently he used d-cine with -1 sharpness
(The mavic footage starts at around 6 minutes)

My footage with -1 sharpness is just horrible.

I've just send my Mavic in for repair via the reseller. #hopeforthebest

Reactions: dronetxgirl
Would you guys consider these pictures to be the same issue? They do seem of low detail. Let me know your thoughts. All are ISO 100 with two pictures having shutter speed 1/100 (using ND16 filter) and the other 1/500.

Attachments

• DJI_0007.JPG
    DJI_0007.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 101
  • DJI_0112.JPG
    DJI_0112.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 103
  • DJI_0132.JPG
    DJI_0132.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 91
Came across this thread and got really nervous. I shoot video in art mode - 1-3-3 and stills are in RAW. I would say definitely sensor issues if your photos look like water color. I always take video off my SD card directly to my computer. This photo was edited real quick in Lightroom but was shot in raw on the mavic pro. I'd say I'm okay, but if you're taking shots and it's not nice n crisp, contact dji or retailer for replacement. The color is off because this was also bracketed and white balance wasn't set so disregard the change in temperature, sun was to my immediate left. cupsaw.jpg

Would you guys consider these pictures to be the same issue? They do seem of low detail. Let me know your thoughts. All are ISO 100 with two pictures having shutter speed 1/100 (using ND16 filter) and the other 1/500.

Did you shoot JPEG's or RAW's ? Is RAW's then yes you've definitely got a problem in my eyes. My photos are much sharper then that.

it is very difficult to get more out of the RAWs. You can make different decisions regarding noise/sharpening tradeoffs though.

I'm thinking colour grading, toning, tone curve etc etc. Surely if its RAW, I can whack it into lightroom and make the adjustments to my liking as opposed to apple's.

Guys who think they are having problems, try shooting raw. Some of you are shooting jpegs with the style modes affecting your end result I think. Try raw and see how it looks right off the camera. 1485918348282.jpg
Pictures should be nice and sharp gentlemen. If you want to shoot jpg try putting style settings to 0 and profile to none with camera settings on auto and try that. Another thing I would maybe say to try would be to go into the camera settings and make sure lock gimbal when shooting is checked off.

Guys I can almost tell you what the issue is. I read this thread and was starting to believe my new bird was defective too but today I decided to re set my setting to 0,0,0 and no grading just simple standard. To my surprise I was blown away and no water color issue showed up as I did have it set to -1,-2,-1 and imaging was muddy and water color O roma looking ! Jpgs looked yucky but raw files look great ! So DJI needs to fix the settings on the - on the sharpness contrast and saturation as it looks like a firmware update is defiantly needed! BTW these images are screen grabs from video’s

Attachments

• focused.jpg
    focused.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 102
  • watercolor.jpg
    watercolor.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Reactions: hifli
Guys I can almost tell you what the issue is. I read this thread and was starting to believe my new bird was defective too but today I decided to re set my setting to 0,0,0 and no grading just simple standard. To my surprise I was blown away and no water color issue showed up as I did have it set to -1,-2,-1 and imaging was muddy and water color O roma looking ! Jpgs looked yucky but raw files look great ! So DJI needs to fix the settings on the - on the sharpness contrast and saturation as it looks like a firmware update is defiantly needed! BTW these images are screen grabs from video’s

That's encouraging but at the same time I find it hard to believe that lots of other people didn't try the default settings before starting to play around with them. What do you other guys say?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes