DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic Shoot Video or Watercolor Paintings? Don’t settle. Get Involved!

Im going to do more testing today as I have the polar cinema filters and I find it hard to believe its the filters as if that was the case you would be able to see some sort of distortion in the glass of the filters. This is a software issue within the mavic but I can’t swear by it. Also Focus is a real part of the problem too as if its not in focus it seems to become sorta Hyper Blur then this leads me to believe that some sort of pixel algorithm issue in the sharping and de sharping and im no computer wizard but it sound good ! lol

Reactions: Vroom66
Im going to do more testing today as I have the polar cinema filters and I find it hard to believe its the filters as if that was the case you would be able to see some sort of distortion in the glass of the filters. This is a software issue within the mavic but I can’t swear by it. Also Focus is a real part of the problem too as if its not in focus it seems to become sorta Hyper Blur then this leads me to believe that some sort of pixel algorithm issue in the sharping and de sharping and im no computer wizard but it sound good ! lol
I found that if I use one of the C1 button to center focus instead of tapping the screen I get much sharper results.

Guys I can almost tell you what the issue is. I read this thread and was starting to believe my new bird was defective too but today I decided to re set my setting to 0,0,0 and no grading just simple standard. To my surprise I was blown away and no water color issue showed up as I did have it set to -1,-2,-1 and imaging was muddy and water color O roma looking ! Jpgs looked yucky but raw files look great ! So DJI needs to fix the settings on the - on the sharpness contrast and saturation as it looks like a firmware update is defiantly needed! BTW these images are screen grabs from video’s
Adjust your gimbal roll my friend!

Reactions: Fonejacker
I have found that when the video is slightly overexposed, rather than under, watercoloring is minimized or eliminated. If the video has crushed blacks and you try to fix it in post, the codec is unable to comply. In other words, minimizing the post edit work will give you the best video possible IMHO.

Adjust your gimbal roll my friend!
Gimbal roll has nothing to do with this and my gimbal roll is lowered to a slower speed my friend ! : )

I have found that when the video is slightly overexposed, rather than under, watercoloring is minimized or eliminated. If the video has crushed blacks and you try to fix it in post, the codec is unable to comply. In other words, minimizing the post edit work will give you the best video possible IMHO.

“watercoloring is minimized” should not even be a issue to minimize !

I don't believe style modes have an affect on raw images as raw images are just that, raw. So the only thing you will take away from your image is the entire image data. Art is still a viable option using either Litchi or the original dji go app (which as another user said when selected shows none in the profile on the dji go 4 app) perhaps an issue with job compression? I believe if you shoot in jpg your color style and profile will be transferred onto the image, so if your sharpness is too low will muddy it quite a bit. I never shoot in jpg. Also are you taking the photos off of your phone from the stream of the mavic or off of the SD card? I shot this video in art mode - 1-3-3 then color graded in fcpx. Exposure was set to auto and I believe my white balance was set to sunny.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MavicPilots mobile app

I don't believe style modes have an affect on raw images as raw images are just that, raw. So the only thing you will take away from your image is the entire image data. Art is still a viable option using either Litchi or the original dji go app (which as another user said when selected shows none in the profile on the dji go 4 app) perhaps an issue with job compression? I believe if you shoot in jpg your color style and profile will be transferred onto the image, so if your sharpness is too low will muddy it quite a bit. I never shoot in jpg. Also are you taking the photos off of your phone from the stream of the mavic or off of the SD card? I shot this video in art mode - 1-3-3 then color graded in fcpx. Exposure was set to auto and I believe my white balance was set to sunny.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MavicPilots mobile app
That's incredibly beautiful

Gimbal roll has nothing to do with this and my gimbal roll is lowered to a slower speed my friend ! : )

I think he was just making a point. You horizon isn't level. You can tweak that inflight under the gimbal setting!

It's incredibly annoying to see a beautiful shot messed up by a wonky landscape.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Raw files bad too unfortunately.
Just out of curiosity, I've never seen these two problems connect, but is the front of the gimbal (2 tabs, one right and one left) seated properly into the body? If the rounded gimbal tabs are exposed perhaps your camera is just shaking too much to take a clear shot? If everything is OK with that I'd contact dji for sure.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using the MavicPilots app

Just out of curiosity, I've never seen these two problems connect, but is the front of the gimbal (2 tabs, one right and one left) seated properly into the body? If the rounded gimbal tabs are exposed perhaps your camera is just shaking too much to take a clear shot? If everything is OK with that I'd contact dji for sure.

It was seated properly. Now it is sent back to DJI, hopefully it will be good when it comes back!

I've just seen this video and the quality seems great. No watercolor painting at all while filming the coconut trees..
And apparently he used d-cine with -1 sharpness
(The mavic footage starts at around 6 minutes)

My footage with -1 sharpness is just horrible.

I've just send my Mavic in for repair via the reseller. #hopeforthebest

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

HI,
Just watched this video and you are correct, "NO WATER COLOUR PAINTING" because it looks as though the video was shot 2.7k or 4k. It's really only the 1080 50p or 1080 60p resolutions the Mavic Struggles. Take a closer look at the video and you will notice there were no high speed pans or movements. This hides the low 24 or 30 frames per second stuttered movement (motion) that 2.7k and 4k produces on the Mavic or any other camera for that matter. So the trade off is jittery (High Speed) motion in 4k or 2.7k (tracking subjects at speed or panning) or Aliasing Moire and the possibility of "Water Colour Painting" (caused by Low Light and incorrect focus & Shutter Speed) image in 1080 50p 60p. It still doesn't help us that the Mavic is a little unpredictable when filming in 1080 50p 60p but this is the resolution and frame rate you will see issues not 4k and 2.7k.

Reactions: hifli
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven