DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic Shoot Video or Watercolor Paintings? Don’t settle. Get Involved!

Wow. So it's unlikely to be the ND filter but you need to test changing one thing at a time to narrow it down. Can you do another without ND filter, won't matter if it's a bit overexposed, and then one with 1/400 and Cinelike? I use Cinelike too, am wondering if thats where the problem lies.

Wow. So it's unlikely to be the ND filter but you need to test changing one thing at a time to narrow it down. Can you do another without ND filter, won't matter if it's a bit overexposed, and then one with 1/400 and Cinelike? I use Cinelike too, am wondering if thats where the problem lies.
Yepp, I deffo gonna try get that done tommorow as I had no battery left!

So we have a watercolor effect for some people and then pretty much everybody shooting in raw format has a warm glow in the center of their screens and we're supposed to be accepting of this in a $1,000 UAV?

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using the MavicPilots app

That's exactly what I did as well, once I stopped using color profiles and just chose none, my footage was wayyyy better.

Reactions: hifli
That's exactly what I did as well, once I stopped using color profiles and just chose none, my footage was wayyyy better.
Yes, but it is also not good for color grading and other adjustments. Black has crushed and white can not be recovered in a high contrast scene.

I only really started noticing this watercolor issue once I put my Polar Pro ND filters on, though it does happen (to a lesser extent) without them too. Lower shutter speeds and less light do seem to exacerbate the issue. Running Cinematic -1, -1, -1, though I need to run some tests with None and 0 or +1 for sharpness.

I hope we can find the cause or they can push out an updated firmware pronto, because my footage is almost useless in the meantime. (Increase the video bitrate to >60 Mbps, please DJI!)

Yes, but it is also not good for color grading and other adjustments. Black has crushed and white can not be recovered in a high contrast scene.
You can still change the settings , like lowering the contrast and saturation.

So we have a watercolor effect for some people and then pretty much everybody shooting in raw format has a warm glow in the center of their screens and we're supposed to be accepting of this in a $1,000 UAV?

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using the MavicPilots app
We hv to live with it sometimes until Dji really be mercy.
Warm glow is really annoying but it can be fixed lucky.
Watercolor effect. You really can not give a hope on such a small sensor, low bitrate codec. even until now, Dji still not fix the jumping codec issue on every 30 frames which the issue has already happening since phantom 3.

You can still change the settings , like lowering the contrast and saturation.
You are right. But I HV run through the none, art , d cinelike and d log profile with different custom value.
There is no detail improvement in dark area no matter the contrast value is (-1 to -3) on None picture profile. Very funny. Crush black remains black.

And this is the setting I use eventually. Does anyone feel it is quite watercolor effect?

60 Mbps is not a low bitrate for 4k30, really. The P4P needs 100 Mbps to accommodate for 4k with 60 fps.

60 Mbps is for example the upper end of what Vimeo recommends for 4k footage.
But Dji has done a very poor job on video codec optimization. Especially on tree leaves, water wave, it just cannot render beautifully in such a bitrate

I have a question about Warranty.

If I purchased my unit through a dealer do I go to them for warranty or replacement or directly to DJI support?

test2.jpg test.jpg View attachment 5582 I can say that shutter speed or saturation or contrast or ND filters have nothing to do with the so called water color issue. Yes, slower shutter speeds causes blur/camera movement. This is a digital issue not mechanical. Im a photographer not a computer/program expert but DJI needs to look into the sharpening part of the cameras program as Focus /sharpening of the pixels seem to be this issue. Trees and fine line objects are where this shows up the most. Pixels are being re-mapped ??? I don’t know the terms but its all in the sharping…. If you want to see this for yourself Take the mavic and turn it on. Look at the image from the camera (record this ) focus on tress or something like a focusing chart. Go through all your settings -1 -2 -3 +1 +2 + 3 and so on with different styles and you will see in real time the changes. I would do this and post it but I don’t have time as Im already behind in my own editing here in the office due to spending too much time on this new toy/tool ;) ………. Good LUCK ! DJI needs to do this test themselves ! and FIX IT Scream at DJI ! :eek: Ps if I was to bet ALL yes ALL Mavics have this issue…. Agin Im guessing here….. I guess I have a question Do any of you guys have this issue when your on a normal setting and everything is set too 000?

Update: Ok I did a small test ! The attached images are photos (jpg) with the two different extreme settings. I did shoot both in raw but as you know Raw files are just that raw! Files exactly as the camera see it with no corrections straight Red Green Blue color channels recorded without any compression. Jpgs are compressed files as you all know and record the extras like sharping /saturation/contrast etc…. As you see in the test images custom vers standard a big difference in the “water color effect” Due to sharping added or lack of I should say….. Again Im trying to figure this out… DJI should pay us for doing what they should have done before making these available ! Do they not test these things ?????

update #2 I did another test with +3 and without ND filter.
Note the first test (bottom image) was with ND 4 pl color pro cinema series

I should add that video looks same as Jpg files.

Last edited:
anyone else having these water color issues as I have spent the last three days trying to figure this crap out!? Benn on phone with DJI and they said they had never heard of this Issue! I was like WTF!lasttest.jpgtest2.jpg test1000.jpg

anyone else having these water color issues as I have spent the last three days trying to figure this crap out!? Benn on phone with DJI and they said they had never heard of this Issue!

They told me the same thing. I've been through this with DJI on Phantom with stress cracks, brittle plastic on the remote, etc. unlike US companies, they don't admit to anything, no do recalls. You just need to state the issue and ask for an RMA. I just sent mine in for the watercolor issue. Several others have done the same and gotten it resolved.

what gets me They didn’t even know that they had a 300 firmware out! LOL

Reactions: 2nd2non
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zack400