DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic Shoot Video or Watercolor Paintings? Don’t settle. Get Involved!

anyone else having these water color issues as I have spent the last three days trying to figure this crap out!? Benn on phone with DJI and they said they had never heard of this Issue! I was like WTF!View attachment 5662View attachment 5663 View attachment 5664

Bollox have they not! 80% of what's going back is because this and a corner focus issue!

DJI was a unique and niche drone business who had a fall out with Go Pro and now they've got greedy!

They've created a product that is so in demand that they can't handle orders and have lost control of their customer care!

Great business and clearly very talented but have fundamentally forgotten the basic principles of customer retention.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Oh and my mavic has just been confirmed as shipped as of today, email from them confirming shipment.

.....I received mavic 2 weeks ago. They're in over their head

Just came back from some testing.. Not sure I get any wiser by by the results, but It seems like anything other then 0 0 0 in sharpness, contrast, color is bad and that no profile seems better than D-Cine.. What you guys reckon?

Test 1
STYLE: None vs D-cinelike
COLOR: 0 0 0 to -1 -1 -1
Filter: ND8

Test 2
STYLE TEST: NONE VS D-CINELIKE VS D-LOG VS TRUECOLOR
FILTER: ND16
COLOR: 0 0 0

Screen shot - No profile @ 0 0 0
ARGB.jpg

Screen shot - D-Cinelike @ 0 0 0
GRrd.jpg

Comparison Screenshot
W12K.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: maikm and photoboy
Just came back from some testing.. Not sure I get any wiser by by the results, but It seems like anything other then 0 0 0 in sharpness, contrast, color is bad and that no profile seems better than D-Cine.. What you guys reckon?

Well done comparison. However, I don't really see anything wrong with any of those samples. Do you?

Well done comparison. However, I don't really see anything wrong with any of those samples. Do you?
If you're picky you see difference :) Also, I think I discovered one major thing: if your footage is out of focus (even slightly) using anything other than 0 0 0 with no profile will intensely make it look really bad and watercolour/mushy...

Sent from my KING7 using MavicPilots mobile app

Test 1
STYLE: None vs D-cinelike
COLOR: 0 0 0 to -1 -1 -1
Filter: ND8

Test 2
STYLE TEST: NONE VS D-CINELIKE VS D-LOG VS TRUECOLOR
FILTER: ND16
COLOR: 0 0 0

Screen shot - No profile @ 0 0 0
ARGB.jpg

Screen shot - D-Cinelike @ 0 0 0
GRrd.jpg

Comparison Screenshot
W12K.jpg

Thanks for comparisons. However it would be more useful to know what shutter speed and ISO you were using than which ND filter.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

If you're picky you see difference :) Also, I think I discovered one major thing: if your footage is out of focus (even slightly) using anything other than 0 0 0 with no profile will intensely make it look really bad and watercolour/mushy...

Do you do post processing or do you want your footage as it is recorded? Nice test by the way!

D-Cinelike is a flatter profile as you can see which lends itself better to post processing. I like None if you don't want to do any post work. Even D-Cinelike because it's not so saturated. But for post work, Art mode can't be beat IMO. Gotta get that by opening original DJI GO app, choosing Art, then closing app and reopen DJI GO4 where it will be until you choose another profile.

Reactions: shuddee and Vroom66
D-Cinelike is a flatter profile as you can see which lends itself better to post processing. I like None if you don't want to do any post work. Even D-Cinelike because it's not so saturated. But for post work, Art mode can't be beat IMO. Gotta get that by opening original DJI GO app, choosing Art, then closing app and reopen DJI GO4 where it will be until you choose another profile.
Latest DJI GO4 update for iOS reintroduced Art mode.

Yes. Look at the tree trunk - the water color effect shows there mostly. Compare top left to bottom left.

Thanks for comparisons. However it would be more useful to know what shutter speed and ISO you were using than which ND filter.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
Usually my mavic saves a SRT file with the exp. Info, but for some reason it didn't this time, not sure why :( all shots where taken at iso 100 and the shutter was 1/80 with ND and around 1/500 with :)

Do you do post processing or do you want your footage as it is recorded? Nice test by the way!
Thanks bud, I do color grade normally yes, and I do prefer a flatter look as its easier to grade - however I don't want to compromise a flat look with the introduction of weird artifacts :)

I will try get some more tests done today, I really want us all to be able to find that sweet spot with the best possible settings for image quality

Thanks for this thread, as my first camera drone I had nothing to compare it to and thought I was just had the wrong settings or just the Mavic camera wasn't the best. Don't have any video footage right now to show you but this is from a jpeg. I've emailed DJI support so waiting to hear back from them. Mavic is already in for gimbal repair so should be able to get it fixed pretty quick.

Attachments

• full zoom.PNG
    full zoom.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 54
Reactions: mastruck
Glad I found this thread (although skipped through a lot of it)

As the mavic is my first drone and I am pretty new to photography anyway, I just thought the stuff I was capturing was poor because I had the wrong settings, not the best light, possibly even an under powered PC and my inexperience, but now I'm not so sure!

Is there a standard test I can do, to post the results somewhere for someone with a keen eye to give their opinion?

All this talk of artifacts and noise is new to me, but one thing I do know is that the pictures / video I am shooting dont seem anywhere near as good as I have seen on the net.

Is dropbox the best place to upload to?

Thanks in advance.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078