DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dog is not my copilot.

KiterTodd

Reactions
My dog absolutely freaks out at the drone.
Before the Mavic, I had a Blade Nano that I'd fly in the house. Same freak out, would have to put her behind a closed door while we flew the thing.

Now, from a dog's perspective, I get it. It's a slow looming bird that does not respond to her verbal threats. I've also heard that they may hear high freq. signals from the VPS.

Obviously, my greatest concern is her safety, and because of that I keep my dog tethered to a tree or something when I'm landing or taking off. When I'm flying around, she chases it, it's good exercise. However, if it's flying anywhere around me it is just constant barking.

So here is the problem...I like to go on hikes with my dog and kids. Bringing the Mavic along is a perfection addition to these outings. There is nothing relaxing about a dog barking incessantly at the Mavic..

Has anyone successfully gotten their dog to get used to drones? She's a Labrador. It's a big bird...

Have to Labradoodles and take them running with a tennis ball and my mavic and use the Maverick as a tertiary distraction. The tennis ball is primary and they chase it and focus on the ball. After they get the ball I then chase them with the Drone back to me and hopefully catch it on video. The place I fly is right under Delta Air space so I keep my drone very low. The dogs like the ball more than the Drone and I get to play with all three and enjoy myself. PM me if interested in video but these two goofballs enjoy there toys more than mine... Fortunately, Robert

Sent from my Pixel using MavicPilots mobile app

Thanks @Hammerhead. I wish my dog would chill and chase the ball. I can get her over to me with the promise of a treat (which is how I leash her when needed) but darn-it... that bird must be chased!

It is a safety concern though, for her and other dogs. Even if a dog was not intending to attack the drone, the dog may still lunge at it and expect it to fly back as a normal bird would do. This one won't move.

My dog absolutely freaks out at the drone.
Before the Mavic, I had a Blade Nano that I'd fly in the house. Same freak out, would have to put her behind a closed door while we flew the thing.

Now, from a dog's perspective, I get it. It's a slow looming bird that does not respond to her verbal threats. I've also heard that they may hear high freq. signals from the VPS.

Obviously, my greatest concern is her safety, and because of that I keep my dog tethered to a tree or something when I'm landing or taking off. When I'm flying around, she chases it, it's good exercise. However, if it's flying anywhere around me it is just constant barking.

So here is the problem...I like to go on hikes with my dog and kids. Bringing the Mavic along is a perfection addition to these outings. There is nothing relaxing about a dog barking incessantly at the Mavic..

Has anyone successfully gotten their dog to get used to drones? She's a Labrador. It's a big bird...

My Black Lab pretty much ignores it and sniffs around in the grass until I fly it right above his head, then he just barks and jumps in the air after it. He doesn't seem affected or bothered by the high freq noises.

I think if you put her on a check chain and issue your trained "bad girl" or whatever "no" command with a firm jerk on the lead every time she responds - she should get the picture. also turn her back to the drone and draw with treats to make sure she stays focused on you - if she does then treat and praise - rinse and repeat. In South Africa criminals would poison your dogs by throwing treats over your gate so it is essential to do poison prevention training here.. :(

This is how we do it with a check chain they learn quite fast and next time there is some piece of meat lying on the ground she will leave it. People might think it is cruel as the first few times the dog does get a fright with the check chain but we love our dogs and we know the alternative of them getting poisoned is not something we or they would ever want to experience.

Reactions: KiterTodd
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78