DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Driver's Education"- Can you have a second remote controller to override the first?

RunDood

Reactions
Years ago, when you were learning to drive a car, the instructor often had their own steering wheel and pedals to take control of the vehicle if you were going astray.

I'm wondering if something similar could be set up for teaching people to fly a drone. You let them control it until they start to go in a bad direction, then, from a 2nd (master) remote, you override their motions and bring it back into a safe environment.

This would be a quick way to introduce people to the flying of a drone, without the risk.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SkiProiii
Years ago, when you were learning to drive a car, the instructor often had their own steering wheel and pedals to take control of the vehicle if you were going astray.

I'm wondering if something similar could be set up for teaching people to fly a drone. You let them control it until they start to go in a bad direction, then, from a 2nd (master) remote, you override their motions and bring it back into a safe environment.

This would be a quick way to introduce people to the flying of a drone, without the risk.

Thanks
A “buddy cable” has been used to connect the two remotes together. Then by flipping a switch, a person ( instructor) can take control when needed. ?

Works great on my MPP. No cable, no problem.

Is this not applicable to specific models only rather than carte blanche? i.e. I know it can be done (via 'radio') with the M2P/Z but it can not be done "via radio " with the P3adv and the MM.
The drone seemingly needs the capability to allow two controllers to be simultaneously linked. With the latter 2 linking a new controller breaks the link with the old controller.
I know nothing about cable linking two controllers so can not comment on that.

I haven’t personally tried this however understand the Mavic 2 has the feature to connect and use two controllers, including a ‘master’ controller which sounds like it will meet your training needs. There a few videos online that would assist in setting this up too.

I’d be interested to know how it goes if you do!

I have a master / slave set up on the M2P, it works fine but the slave has rather limited permissions with regards to changing things in the app menus, with all that that leads to. Also, and a minor point, the slave 'phone', as far as I remember does not record flight logs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972