DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone went crazy in "Tripod" Mode

Roche

Reactions
Was testing my new Mavic pro out ( had a parrot bebop before ) Upgraded to the Mavic for the better quality Camera as I will be using this drone for nice shots of Commercial and Residential properties in Real Estate.

Watched about 200 videos on what to do before, how to setup, best settings, etc before taking off.

Had 17 GPS signals, locked to home, figured I was good to take off, all calibrations complete and no errors. As soon as I was in the air, switched to Tripod mode, (smoother shots) and slow movements as I am still new with this specific drone.

Made a couple nice right to left, down to up shots. Brought the Mavic Pro down about 15 feet in front of me, about 10 feet in the air. While it was hovering, started turning slightly to it's right. I notice this, and decide I'll land it and check all settings, make sure everything is tight, troubleshoot, etc. As I'm bringing it a bit closer to me, and lowering it down to my landing pad, it banks to it's right, at full speed, not tripod mode speed and just misses me, I manage to push the controller down as it's headed to a grassy hill and it lands pretty roughly onto it, full speed, on the side.

I've since looked up on the internet, and various forums. Seems like LOTS of people have been having some funky activity and behavior since a recent 1-2 year old DJI firmware upgrade. On not just the pro, but air and spark.

So, my question is.... do I troubleshoot this thing into the end of the world, and maybe in the end not even find a solution, or do I return this thing and get another drone from a different manufacturer. My Parrot never, ever, ever went out of control, but the picture quality just wasn't good enough with the bebop 2. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Reactions: SirLancelot
What you want to do is find out if there was magnetic interference that caused your compass settings to be incorrect during takeoff. What you are describing can often be attributed to magnetic interference that causes the compass to report incorrectly.

In order to try and get to the bottom of this you may download the flight log from the flight using this link DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

Then post the resulting flight log to this thread in hopes that it will be analyzed by some of the forum pro's.

Reactions: Aww@Mavic
i would like to know what you find out.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15