DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Emirates accept drones as checked-in baggage only

This is the problem of people that ha sbeen given permission that otherwise not possible. They like to abuse it!!!

I haven't seen any other airline follow Emirates policy on this, anyone else know of any that have ?
From memory this post was made well after it was introduced, so possibly 3-1/2 years ago, time flies (no pun intended).

Casey Neistat still has his YouTube channel, makes a lot of $ out of it, no doubt.
He's a rule breaker in general, live fast type, nothing wrong with that, but probably going to step on some toes / upset others at times.

yeah. That was a long time ago.

anyway. Its 2020, anybody here knows something about emirates’s rule about drones? Experience for 2020?

Its 2020, anybody here knows something about emirates’s rule about drones? Experience for 2020?

Same, Google search > emirates drone

https://www.emirates.com/english/help/faqs/what-is-the-policy-for-transporting-dangerous-goods/

Drones are not allowed as cabin baggage
For safety reasons, we can’t allow drones on board as cabin baggage. Drones can be accepted as checked-in baggage only. If you have a drone in your checked-in baggage you’ll be asked to either secure the Lithium batteries within the drone or remove the batteries and carry them in your cabin baggage. This regulation still applies even if you’re connecting to our flights from an airline that has accepted drones as cabin baggage.

Yes but im talking about folks that have travelled to from or transit.
any experince/exceptions?

No you asked about 2020 Emirates rule about drones.

yeah. That was a long time ago.

anyway. Its 2020, anybody here knows something about emirates’s rule about drones? Experience for 2020?

Are you now asking if anyone has managed to get their drone in cabin despite that airlines clear policy ?

I know. Who’s seen boarding gate doing bag checks (apart from weight check sometimes) ?
Not me.
Once through customs check (and they don’t usually worry about individual airline policy), and you’re all clear there from the usual prohibited items, there’s really no further checks.

If you have your kit in a discreet bag / backpack the airline won’t even know.
If you have a big hard case with DJI on it, hmmm you might get asked about it.

It’s still the only airline I’m aware of with the no drone in cabin policy, thankfully.
If I ever fly them, I’d certainly be packing my drone in checked baggage, and batteries in cabin.

I’m not sure why anyone would risk trying to get one on board.
If discovered, you’d have to choose not to fly, or leave your drone behind.

Reactions: droneloverair
Thanks.
I dont fly much myself but i did remeber when coming from sweden to Philippines thru with transit thru london and hongkong, i remebered that you must scan your things when you go down from plane before the boarding gates.
Now im not sure if emirates/dubai/UAE has that type of security, they must have cause otherwise they wouldnt able to detect the drone.

my drone is in an aftermarket case semi hard with no name on it.

Thanks.
I dont fly much myself but i did remeber when coming from sweden to Philippines thru with transit thru london and hongkong, i remebered that you must scan your things when you go down from plane before the boarding gates.
Now im not sure if emirates/dubai/UAE has that type of security, they must have cause otherwise they wouldnt able to detect the drone.

my drone is in an aftermarket case semi hard with no name on it.

I've never had a cabin bag put through a scanner (x-ray) after the security gate check through point.
The checked (hold) bag gets x-rayed yes, as it goes through their carousel after you check that in.

All the security gate is looking for is those prohibited items, weapons, potential weapons like sharp things (some remove their props and check them too !), and metal bars / bludgeon items, aerosols, of course drugs or anything potentially explosive (the little swabs they do of you and your bag(s).
I've had my drones asked about maybe 3 times, once asked to open the bag (just had a look), most know they are allowed and nothing further asked.

If I ever go by Emirates, it'd be pretty easy to either travel with a small hard case for the drone body, pack in in the middle of a checked bag.
Batteries (required in cabin) and rest of drone kit would go in cabin with me.
It's probably easy enough to play by their (Emirates) rules, why risk the hassle at the check in counter, you'd have literally a minute or less to decide whether to leave . . . no, it wouldn't be easy to leave a drone body, nor would I want to have to lose an airfare, so it'd be ensure going by the airlines rules.

Safe (and hopefully many) future travels.

Your right. Its better not to contest their ridiculous policy or just avoid connection flights through emirates.

how about the controller that has a built in battery? Should i check that in (emirates) or cabin?

That case is good for check ins? Or do i need the ultra hard shell case pelican case typ?

Attachments

• 03227994-0FF3-42F3-ACD8-89CBB521D633.png
    03227994-0FF3-42F3-ACD8-89CBB521D633.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Link in post 64 (and 35 and 1 too).
It's a policy created out of one persons desire to fly in an in flight aircraft, for some youtube hits, a shame, but at least it's fairly openly stated in their policies.
Be a shame though to arrive unaware and somehow get caught out, wouldn't be fun trying to get that into checked baggage after you get to gate.

Reactions: droneloverair
Link in post 64 (and 35 and 1 too).
It's a policy created out of one persons desire to fly in an in flight aircraft, for some youtube hits, a shame, but at least it's fairly openly stated in their policies.
Be a shame though to arrive unaware and somehow get caught out, wouldn't be fun trying to get that into checked baggage after you get to gate.

You mean the casey guy from utube? Man i used to like his vids way back 2016 but now after i saw his video flying a spark inside his first class space, i lost respect to him.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2