DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EPSON Moverio BT-300 Review

I have been playing with the BT-300 for a few days now. Have not had a chance to fly with it due to weather but trying to shake out issues with the glasses itself. I too am having no luck getting maps to display. This morning I had the glasses and controller outside for 30 min. I have location turned on in settings. I am connected to a wi-fi hot spot and have internet access. I go into Google Maps on the Browser and it cannot find my location. I go into the Go 4 app and my map is blank. I have tried turning the China maps option on and on with no difference.

I am getting frustrated with these things to the point that if I can't see improvement this weekend, I'm likely to return them. I'm also frustrated that Epson seems to have zero technical support other than the guide and FAQs on their web site. There is no phone number, no chat, no email support.

Has anyone had any luck solving these problems?
Well I called Epson support in the UK, and spoke to someone who was completely thrown by the problem and said he would have to refer it to Epson 2nd level support teams. I answered all his questions, latest firmware, various versions of the go app tried, resetting the moverio completely....lets see if they come up with anything. Its as if the moverio/go app is locked into some sort of country/origin setting (could be a base firmware issue), as when I zoom out to see the whole of the UK (that seems to be the only map view I can get), I notice that London is written in a Chinese language set?? no English (its all Chinese) being displayed across all European cities or anywhere else for that matter if you zoom out far enough....Odd or what?

Well I called Epson support in the UK, and spoke to someone who was completely thrown by the problem and said he would have to refer it to Epson 2nd level support teams. I answered all his questions, latest firmware, various versions of the go app tried, resetting the moverio completely....lets see if they come up with anything. Its as if the moverio/go app is locked into some sort of country/origin setting (could be a base firmware issue), as when I zoom out to see the whole of the UK (that seems to be the only map view I can get), I notice that London is written in a Chinese language set?? no English (its all Chinese) being displayed across all European cities or anywhere else for that matter if you zoom out far enough....Odd or what?
My maps in the DJI app are all in either Chinese or Japanese characters as well.

I am in the same boat. Map info on the go 4 app no matter what I try. I have not tried to load up the DJI go (original) yet but even if that works the BT is useless for me if a new version of go 4 app does not work correctly.

Evo, I thought you told me you had GPS working in Google Maps app, not the browser? I followed your instructions to install the map apk and now it works great. GPS is perfectly accurate. Even showed my direction when turning my body while standing still. Now, next hurdle, is the map in GO 4

What's amazing is here we are most of us buying to use the BT for the DJI Mavic and other new DJI products but Epson makes us go through all of this trial and error trying to make their product actually work. And we are still no where close to a solution with the go 4 app.

Also, I was reading somewhere that the Epson is not an authorized Google Play store device (or something like that) so you really cannot install any apps from it and have to find alternative methods to do this. Is this a lack of license from Epson for the BT devices? It sure would be nice to be able to install the latest version of Go 4 app when it gets released instead of finding alternative hacks to accomplish this.

What's amazing is here we are most of us buying to use the BT for the DJI Mavic and other new DJI products but Epson makes us go through all of this trial and error trying to make their product actually work. And we are still no where close to a solution with the go 4 app.

Also, I was reading somewhere that the Epson is not an authorized Google Play store device (or something like that) so you really cannot install any apps from it and have to find alternative methods to do this. Is this a lack of license from Epson for the BT devices? It sure would be nice to be able to install the latest version of Go 4 app when it gets released instead of finding alternative hacks to accomplish this.
That is correct about Google Play. It is a tedious process to get play store apps to install. I'm using apk extractor for the time being and it seems to work on most of them. The easiest way until it gets resolved by Epson is to do a google search for the app's apk you want (not all will be available via google search). Once you find one, download it and install from 'downloads' directory. Thats how I did Google Maps.

I have been playing with the BT-300 for a few days now. Have not had a chance to fly with it due to weather but trying to shake out issues with the glasses itself. I too am having no luck getting maps to display. This morning I had the glasses and controller outside for 30 min. I have location turned on in settings. I am connected to a wi-fi hot spot and have internet access. I go into Google Maps on the Browser and it cannot find my location. I go into the Go 4 app and my map is blank. I have tried turning the China maps option on and on with no difference.

I am getting frustrated with these things to the point that if I can't see improvement this weekend, I'm likely to return them. I'm also frustrated that Epson seems to have zero technical support other than the guide and FAQs on their web site. There is no phone number, no chat, no email support.

Has anyone had any luck solving these problems?

Just a crazy thought. Did you try pinching out on your map. I find the scaling on the map a bit strange. I had to zoom way in before I could even see the line from the drone pointing to home. Perhaps you are zoomed in to the point that you cannot see anything on the map other than your homepoint for drone.

Just a crazy thought. Did you try pinching out on your map. I find the scaling on the map a bit strange. I had to zoom way in before I could even see the line from the drone pointing to home. Perhaps you are zoomed in to the point that you cannot see anything on the map other than your homepoint for drone.
My red arrow on the GO 4 view of the map was centered but seemed 3 times larger than normal

My red arrow on the GO 4 view of the map was centered but seemed 3 times larger than normal
Same for me. A bit annoying and hope this can be corrected. I noticed in one of your posts that you had chinese written on your maps. I had this too until I toggled off the "chinese mainland" setting.

Same for me. A bit annoying and hope this can be corrected. I noticed in one of your posts that you had chinese written on your maps. I had this too until I toggled off the "chinese mainland" setting.
Chinese? Geez, thanks for the info, I thought I toggled that off. Will check, thanks

Evo, I thought you told me you had GPS working in Google Maps app, not the browser? I followed your instructions to install the map apk and now it works great. GPS is perfectly accurate. Even showed my direction when turning my body while standing still. Now, next hurdle, is the map in GO 4
Yes I do have maps working in google app - works fine. when I say zooming out and seeing the chinese language marking cities - that is in the dji go4 app

When I go to google maps in the browser it works fine. Finds my location no problem. But not in Go 4 no luck. Also I installed the 4.0.3 version and every time I run it I get a message a new version is available but it the same version and it wouldn't download.
Epson has a lot of bug fixes to work on.

Reactions: macinfosys
When I go to google maps in the browser it works fine. Finds my location no problem. But not in Go 4 no luck. Also I installed the 4.0.3 version and every time I run it I get a message a new version is available but it the same version and it wouldn't download.
Epson has a lot of bug fixes to work on.
Try side loading the apk 4.0.5; that worked for me. I doubt Epson will work on a bug for an older version...

Try side loading the apk 4.0.5; that worked for me. I doubt Epson will work on a bug for an older version...
I was going to do that but my son uses iOS and they just came out with 4.0.6 I was waiting for that for android. I think they found some bugs in 4.0.5.

Epson's website says the FPV/drone package is out of stock. It's apparently still available on Amazon. In addition to the lukewarm review on Amazon, it looks like the system isn't quite ready for prime time from users' experience on this forum. I guess I'll continue to struggle with being able to see the screen on my Samsung Tab S2 with bright sunshine reflecting off snowfields and:
1. hope for the snow to melt and/or cloudy days
2. wait awhile and see if Epson improves the FPV implementation of their product.

I was going to do that but my son uses iOS and they just came out with 4.0.6 I was waiting for that for android. I think they found some bugs in 4.0.5.
Gotcha ya. Android is usually way behind IOS releases. There has been some talk (rumor) that Apple is working on smart glasses. We can only hope that is true...

I believe at one point I did try to zoom out but don't honestly remember. I will give that a try as well. And I agree with what someone said above in terms of us all having to do the troubleshooting and working the bugs out. Some of that I expect when I go out on the bleeding edge but there just seems to be more than usual here. I also don't know with me if its the product or Android since this is my first Android device and I'm used to things in IOS just working without any intervention or work-arounds.

I so badly want this to work and be great because the concept is so good. Just hoping I can get it there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13