DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EPSON Moverio BT-300 Review

When you say side loading. Is that the same as loading it from a direct download link like this from the BT-300 web browser ?
DJI GO 4 4.0.5 apk download

I have already loaded the 4.0.5 with no issues but my map still don't work.

I also just tried to load the Google maps from this link even though it loaded and installed, I still don't have GPS info.
Google Maps 9.48.2 (948200020) Latest APK Download - AndroidAPKsFree
Yes. If your Google Map installed, it should work. My first attempted apk wouldn't install. Tried again from a different venue, it installed and GPS is super accurate. It did take quite a while for GPS to activate

Epson's website says the FPV/drone package is out of stock. It's apparently still available on Amazon. In addition to the lukewarm review on Amazon, it looks like the system isn't quite ready for prime time from users' experience on this forum. I guess I'll continue to struggle with being able to see the screen on my Samsung Tab S2 with bright sunshine reflecting off snowfields and:
1. hope for the snow to melt and/or cloudy days
2. wait awhile and see if Epson improves the FPV implementation of their product.
Well, everyone has their own opinion on things. I think this device is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I bought it to use for my Mavic and P4Pro, however, if people think I paid $800 for a device for 3-4 hours a week of flying, they should think again. It has many, many other uses. I tried VR's, they make me nauseous; I tried the Avegant Glyph, screen to small. I tried Vufine, same thing. The BT-300 is exactly what I had hoped the other devices would be. Hopefully, a firmware update will give us Head Tracking. But like any new hardware...baby steps

Reactions: jimmy kho
Ok a further update on the maps in DJI GO app. I uninstalled and deleted all the DJI files settings. I went to the Moverio store, and installed both versions of DJI Go app. The pre 4 and post 4 versions. The pre 4 version works with the Mavic and guess what? the maps display fine in the dji app. Well when I say fine, I mean you can read the place names in English, and eventually after a couple of minutes your location is updated accurately. The downside is there are still interspersed chinese language characters if you zoom out a bit, although most location names are displayed correctly in English. Now loading the go 4 app (4.0.2) nothing, nada (shows me China, even though that switch setting is turned off for chinese map coordinates) ...It is definitely a bug on the go 4 version right up to 4.0.5....

So Moverio Drone Edition maybe not quite ready the mainstream just yet.....? but I'm still impressed with the glasses overall, just the ancillaries and diabolical software let down what could be an excellent product :(

Well guys, I just got off the phone with 2 people from Epson (USA) who reached out to me to have a discussion on whats been going on and why we are experiencing the issues we have been talking about on the maps.

First the issue is related to the Go 4 app on the BT-300. As you all know DJI changed from Google Maps to Here Maps recently and this is where the issue has come into play. When Here Map does not work properly it falls back to another mapping service called Amap Map. which is great in China but thats about it. The content we are seeing is content from "Amap Map" service. What is happening is that the maps data in 4.0.3, 4.0.4 and 4.0.5 of the DJI Go 4 app 's that are either from Epson (4.0.3) or other side loaded versions from the web are not communicating properly with the BT-300. This is a BT-300 compatibility issue with the newer DJI apps and they are actively looking into a solution on this. They are about to have a meeting with DJI within an hour just to discuss this and other solutions moving forward. They didn't expect such a high rate of early adoption and are trying their best to try and resolve the immediate compatibility issue but have a much bigger vision moving forward on a full immersive 360 Virtual reality app for use with the DJI drones that are not reliant on just the DJI 4 app by itself. This is something they are working closely with DJI to produce and thats what this glass would ultimately be marketed for.

They are not 100% sure where the current issue lies (either the app) or the firmware or a combo but hope to have some sort of fix sooner than later. if it is something they can control internally (firmware) it could be sooner than later but timing wise they could not commit to but said it could be more than just days if it is something they have to work on with DJI to resolve which could even be closer to weeks and possibly worse case month/s.

They said they will try and keep us posted on any new updates but the current issues seem to be an effect of the Here Maps change and the compatibility issues of the BT-300 dealing with the change on the newer apps.

That's immensely helpful. I finally got the BT-300 to recognize my location both on the google maps web page and the google maps app which I was able to install. But still no luck with the Go4 app. Now at least I know why.

So at this point mine is going back into it's carrier and I will wait and see what Epson does in the next few weeks.... I am not going to risk flying the Mavic with a system that is not fully functional (maps) just so I can have FPV. I know it has other cool uses but for me (for now) it's main purpose was for drone flying. lets hope for a quick fix from Epson. :)

That's immensely helpful. I finally got the BT-300 to recognize my location both on the google maps web page and the google maps app which I was able to install. But still no luck with the Go4 app. Now at least I know why.

Curious what site you downloaded the Google Maps APK ? I assume you did it direct from your BT-300 browser and installed it from there ?

It also strikes me that two things really need to happen. First DJI needs to go back to Google Maps and second, Epson needs to get right with Google to use the Google Play store. I'm sure both have to do with licensing and money but these things are taking off and need to be plugged into the greater ecosystem. Stop being cheap and bite the bullet for your users.

So at this point mine is going back into it's carrier and I will wait and see what Epson does in the next few weeks.... I am not going to risk flying the Mavic with a system that is not fully functional (maps) just so I can have FPV. I know it has other cool uses but for me (for now) it's main purpose was for drone flying. lets hope for a quick fix from Epson. :)
My thoughts exactly, back to the iPad mini for me. Even though it was a great experience with the Moverio glasses. the map safety issue and peace of mind flying the Mavic is just not worth the risk at this point. But glad we did eventually get to the bottom of the issue for all DJI/Epson early adopters

It also strikes me that two things really need to happen. First DJI needs to go back to Google Maps and second, Epson needs to get right with Google to use the Google Play store. I'm sure both have to do with licensing and money but these things are taking off and need to be plugged into the greater ecosystem. Stop being cheap and bite the bullet for your users.

Well we discussed both of those. The first being probably both cost and the China limitations for maps. But I am leaning more on cost for DJI. Yea Here Maps SUCKS in US and I am sure probably other places as well outside of China.... I am big time spoiled having used iOS DJI 4 apps since they a rent only feature rich compared to the Android versions but their maps DO NOT use Here Maps.

Second part for Epson is a Google licensing issue where Google does not offer the licensing for Glass category. Basically BT-300 does not fall into the avail licensing categories made avail from Google and because of that they are not able to license the use of the store. They did recommend to use the Amazon Market place if possible as an alternative solution.

Reactions: Expedy21
Curious what site you downloaded the Google Maps APK ? I assume you did it direct from your BT-300 browser and installed it from there ?

I honestly don't remember the exact site. From the browser I searched for Google Maps APK and picked the first ir second site on the list.

Reactions: Bigpoppapump
Also I noticed that when I install Google maps and launch it from the web link. It states I should install Google Play services. The first time I said ok but nothing happened. Then I removed the app and re-installed it again and this time I stated skip and I still don't have the google maps showing GPS lock. I will take it outside again later on to test. But when it stated to install Google Play services to enhance location info I said no since the first time it didn't work. Does that have anything to do with Google Maps not working correctly or the fact I need to go back outside again and wait another 30+ min. :)

Well we discussed both of those. The first being probably both cost and the China limitations for maps. But I am leaning more on cost for DJI. Yea Here Maps SUCKS in US and I am sure probably other places as well outside of China.... I am big time spoiled having used iOS DJI 4 apps since they a rent only feature rich compared to the Android versions but their maps DO NOT use Here Maps.

Second part for Epson is a Google licensing issue where Google does not offer the licensing for Glass category. Basically BT-300 does not fall into the avail licensing categories made avail from Google and because of that they are not able to license the use of the store. They did recommend to use the Amazon Market place if possible as an alternative solution.

It sounds like I have been spoiled with the iOS versions as well. I think in the first case, DJI needs to be not so cheap. They are selling these drones at a record pace, they should be able to afford to license Google maps. As for the second case it sounds like Google is being, well, Google and Epson's hands are tied. That's unfortunate, but at least I can forgive it.

Also I noticed that when I install Google maps and launch it from the web link. It states I should install Google Play services. The first time I said ok but nothing happened. Then I removed the app and re-installed it again and this time I stated skip and I still don't have the google maps showing GPS lock. I will take it outside again later on to test. But when it stated to install Google Play services to enhance location info I said no since the first time it didn't work. Does that have anything to do with Google Maps not working correctly or the fact I need to go back outside again and wait another 30+ min. :)

I had a similar issue when I did the install. It obviously wouldn't install the Google play services. I ended up skipping that and it's working just fine. I think my issue was that I did not spend enough time originally outside with a clear view of the sky for it to get the GPS lock. Once I did that, it's working fine.

I know there are some of us on here who are new to Android. Just FYI, I found this video which gives some really good basic tutorial information on how to get around Android 5.1 (which is loaded on the BT-300).

This is from Epson:
1) Map caching is better supported on newer versions of DJI GO and GO 4. A newer version will be posted to the Moverio apps market soon. If you don't want to wait, instructions on how to rip and sideload newer GO apps is posted here:
需要安全验证

2) The maps is not correct out of the box, since our device needs to first acquire a GPS signal. Take the device to an open area for a few minutes (first acquisition may take a bit longer) and you'll be out of China ;)

Is this accurate. I know the Moverio had GPS sensors built into the controller. I would think it should know where it is without a wi-fi connection. I haven't been able to get mine to update maps yet either but haven't been outside for it to get GPS. It is not getting the location form my wi-fi network.
I got feedback from Epson, i posted it here. Thanks.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky