DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EPSON Moverio BT-300 Review

On the last step to download additional maps. Once you change language back to English, the offline map download of the 1GB file goes away and does not show up on the list. Only thing avail to download are the china maps on the main page again. Even though the space being consumed by the map that was downloaded earlier is shown as gone. BTW any clue where these downloaded maps are stored if you wanted to free up space and remove them from the device ?

I will check. Come back to it later

These are some screen shots on what is shown on Japan location and English location.

First 2 show the offline maps section while in Japan Language and showing the All countries 1GB file downloaded and avail in the map management section.

The last 2 show the offline maps section while in English (US) only showing the original mainland China maps selections and the map management not showing the 1GB file downloaded in the Japan language selection. The one that is showing up (Beijing) was a accidental download while in US English selection and I don't know how to get rid of it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 9.06.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 9.06.36 AM.png
    216.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 9.06.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 9.06.48 AM.png
    233.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 9.09.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 9.09.28 AM.png
    260 KB · Views: 86
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 9.12.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 9.12.09 AM.png
    230.7 KB · Views: 82
Worth every penny, I highly recommend it. Keep in mind, it's not just for flying; you have a mini computer in your hand with a monitor projected in HUD format as big as your big screen TV.
I was wondering if there are some Android HUD apps for example for use while driving or cycling, to see the speed in front of you or even the google navigation

Hi Maclak,

I'm having the same problem as macinfosys.

I've tried the 1-6 steps about 10 times and have had no luck. I must be doing something wrong or being in the UK has an effect.

I can follow the above steps fine and the 1.06GB file downloads no problem. After the download is complete and force closing the app/cached and changing the language back to English then relaunching Go4 the offline maps still contain the same list as before with no other countries to choose.

Oddly if I clear everything and change the language back to the last option which I assume is Japanese and relaunch Go4 the 1.06GB download is still there, if I switch back to English it's not there

I tried uninstalling Go4, deleting the dowloaded 1.0GB file and starting from fresh but still finish up with the same default list minis the download.
Out of interest I downloaded another file 7 something GB that also didn't appear in the list when back in English but is still there when in Japanese.

Any suggestions

How on earth you worked your solution out is still beyond me I would never have thought I trying switching languages, well done. :)

Cheers
John

Hi Maclak,

I'm having the same problem as macinfosys.

I've tried the 1-6 steps about 10 times and have had no luck. I must be doing something wrong or being in the UK has an effect.

I can follow the above steps fine and the 1.06GB file downloads no problem. After the download is complete and force closing the app/cached and changing the language back to English then relaunching Go4 the offline maps still contain the same list as before with no other countries to choose.

Oddly if I clear everything and change the language back to the last option which I assume is Japanese and relaunch Go4 the 1.06GB download is still there, if I switch back to English it's not there

I tried uninstalling Go4, deleting the dowloaded 1.0GB file and starting from fresh but still finish up with the same default list minis the download.
Out of interest I downloaded another file 7 something GB that also didn't appear in the list when back in English but is still there when in Japanese.

Any suggestions

How on earth you worked your solution out is still beyond me I would never have thought I trying switching languages, well done. :)

Cheers
John

Hey John,

I read something in this thread earlier and elaborated on that, not my credit..
The main thing is that coming back from Japanese you have to close the app (using the "back" button.) When switched to English and launching go4/ offline maps again you should observe the list refreshing. I went through this again and again just now and saw that sometimes it indeed keeps the chinese stuff. But when that happens force close all 3 running go4 processes and also the cached ones. Then go back to go4 again. After successful installation of the needed map and exiting go4 it does revert to chinese stuff again but the maps are still there somewhere. To download another map: repeat.
I have no clue where the maps are in the folder but you can get rid of them by opening map manager in go4, swipe the map to remove to the left and hit trashcan. I removed the 1.06gb one (was Australia by the way) and the tweak still works.

How do you REMOVE the downloaded maps manually ? Or do you do it by uninstalling the Go 4 App ?

Hey mate,

Hopefully your question answered above, sorry for the late reply was busy as h€ll. Every time when i wanted to test/report interruption was awaiting..

Edit: thinking of this, it indeed is kind of ridiculous we have to go through this. Epson advertising a drone version dji "accessory" glasses that requires the end user to become creative. Still the best option so far.
Question: anyone knows how you see the bt300 has a positive gps lock? Cause normally it does not show the inverted teardrop on the top right unless you launch something that requires gps (like go4). But then it appears instantly, even when inside. Is this credible?

Last edited:
Hey John,

I read something in this thread earlier and elaborated on that, not my credit..
The main thing is that coming back from Japanese you have to close the app (using the "back" button.) When switched to English and launching go4/ offline maps again you should observe the list refreshing. I went through this again and again just now and saw that sometimes it indeed keeps the chinese stuff. But when that happens force close all 3 running go4 processes and also the cached ones. Then go back to go4 again. After successful installation of the needed map and exiting go4 it does revert to chinese stuff again but the maps are still there somewhere. To download another map: repeat.
I have no clue where the maps are in the folder but you can get rid of them by opening map manager in go4, swipe the map to remove to the left and hit trashcan. I removed the 1.06gb one (was Australia by the way) and the tweak still works.

Hey mate,

Hopefully your question answered above, sorry for the late reply was busy as h€ll. Every time when i wanted to test/report interruption was awaiting..

Edit: thinking of this, it indeed is kind of ridiculous we have to go through this. Epson advertising a drone version dji "accessory" glasses that requires the end user to become creative. Still the best option so far.
Question: anyone knows how you see the bt300 has a positive gps lock? Cause normally it does not show the inverted teardrop on the top right unless you launch something that requires gps (like go4). But then it appears instantly, even when inside. Is this credible?

Well the whole process still does not work for me. I am not going to deal with this till Epson gets their act together and releases a new firmware that resolves this issue so we don't have to monkey around with it.

I am very happy with everything else but this particular issue is very disappointing that Epson cannot resolve sooner than later. There is no way I can see myself using anything else other than the BT-300 to fly my Mavic (it's like a drug) but still disappointed that there is this map issue that continues to linger.....

Well the whole process still does not work for me. I am not going to deal with this till Epson gets their act together and releases a new firmware that resolves this issue so we don't have to monkey around with it.

I am very happy with everything else but this particular issue is very disappointing that Epson cannot resolve sooner than later. There is no way I can see myself using anything else other than the BT-300 to fly my Mavic (it's like a drug) but still disappointed that there is this map issue that continues to linger.....

Agreed the whole process is rather a bit "Heath Robinson" and definitely sucks.... I did manage to get UK maps downloaded, (for what it was worth??) but not until some digging around to see what processes are being invoked when you run Go4. One thing I noticed when running the GO4 in Japanese, after you have downloaded the last map entry (or any offline map for that matter) as per Maclak's post, if you go into -->settings --> apps --> running processes. You will see that there is "heremaps offline" process running. When you run GO4 in English, you have something called "amaps offline" process running as well. I forced stop on the amaps process go back to GO4 without forcing a stop and was able to download the maps for the UK.....Its appears when running the GO4 in English you have two offline map processes running both "here" and "amap"? whereas when you run Go4 in Japanese only the one offline maps process runs (here maps)

Agreed the whole process is rather a bit "Heath Robinson" and definitely sucks.... I did manage to get UK maps downloaded, (for what it was worth??) but not until some digging around to see what processes are being invoked when you run Go4. One thing I noticed when running the GO4 in Japanese, after you have downloaded the last map entry (or any offline map for that matter) as per Maclak's post, if you go into -->settings --> apps --> running processes. You will see that there is "heremaps offline" process running. When you run GO4 in English, you have something called "amaps offline" process running as well. I forced stop on the amaps process go back to GO4 without forcing a stop and was able to download the maps for the UK.....Its appears when running the GO4 in English you have two offline map processes running both "here" and "amap"? whereas when you run Go4 in Japanese only the one offline maps process runs (here maps)

That was on my schedule for today, force closing the process and see what it does (hopefully after work today, should have brought it along:()
The thing is that when downloading the Chinese stuff the files are downloaded into AMAP subfolder and extracted into another AMAP subfolder (.dat files). When you download other maps they are spreadout through the DJI/HERE subfolders so no " single" chunks of data like the Chinese ones.
Note: on my smartphone also AMAP folder is created by Go4 but the process is not used. The folder contains no maps (just 37kb of unknown data).

IMPORTANT: I did write a mail to Epson cause although the BT300 is great, maps are an important part of GO4 and shall be working. I suggest that you guys contact them as well to impose some pressure.

Reactions: macinfosys
Yes I contacted Epson in UK (based in Telford Shropshire) about this when I first got the glasses, and have sent a follow up support query about the subject.

In fact I managed to speak to the Epson Technical support centre here in the UK, who admitted that they do not have any technicians currently trained in the product at all! certainly none that I could speak to anyway, who understood the product. I was promised my support ticket would be sent to their second/third line support teams, but nobody has ever got back in touch.

Yes I contacted Epson in UK (based in Telford Shropshire) about this when I first got the glasses, and have sent a follow up support query about the subject.

In fact I managed to speak to the Epson Technical support centre here in the UK, who admitted that they do not have any technicians currently trained in the product at all! certainly none that I could speak to anyway, who understood the product. I was promised my support ticket would be sent to their second/third line support teams, but nobody has ever got back in touch.

I had a reply as well:
"We are aware and DJI is working on it"
My reply:
"Do you KNOW dji?!"

Ok, i know im dominating this thread now but played a little today.

Good: you do not need to download the 1gb Japanese file. Going into Japanese lang, kill go4, launch go4 in Jap, confirm the chinese list is gone in offline maps, close go4, switch to Eng, observe other countries available now. If not kill app again and re-open it.

Good: the above also works with sideloaded apk (apkmirror).

Bad: for me killing amap process does not work.

Superbad: the map during flight is only displayed in Jap mode. Here maps process does not run when the chinese cities are seen in go4. This über-cråp amap overrules HERE maps.

Not happy!

Last edited:
ok so, as soon as I get mine I was planning to make a video tutorial in youtube, but how can I record whatever is happening in the "BT-300"?

we need definitely root access that would solve so many problems and we would get Google Maps back in the DJI GO 4 app...

Andy

we need definitely root access that would solve so many problems and we would get Google Maps back in the DJI GO 4 app...

Andy

Do you have a proper map image while flying (is HERE running on your system when you use GO4?)
Can this be done, rooting moverio? I was already happy with HERE, now this Amap is a torture. I do not think this company makes maps outside china or so. Dji is messing around too much with different map providers instead giving google maps back. End of all problems.

Did you take a look at my previous question by any chance, you seem to be more into pc stuff:

"I cannot perform any action as ADB driver installer does not see Moverio. The computer itself does detect it as storage (EMBT3C).
no idea how to do this.
I did follow the "read me instruction" and restarted the computer (Win 8.1 x64) disabling the driver signature enforcement. With the instruction "Install Android ADB Driver using an inf file (Manually)" i get stuck..how do i do this?"

Would be happy to tweak the image a bit..

Last edited:
rooting can be done on the moverio like with any Android device, however I'm not that deep into android so I currently can't do it.
I've done it with my pixel Phone and I canceled the Here Map service and now I can use Google Maps instead of Here maps which is just great!

Hmm since I installed the ADB drivers years back with my first Android I thought this might work... I need to find another PC without the ADB drivers
installed so I can properly describe each single step... this might take a while...

Andy

I used a full charge on the BT-300's today messing about with these maps. I tried all sorts of different combinations of doing things to no avail.
The battery lights started flashing on the BT-300 just as I was trying my last attempt and the maps loaded with the English language, yea.

I charged the batteries and fired it back up and as if by magic they had gone and I was left with the normal maps.

Andy's idea sounds like a plan, I shall wait to see how it goes, good luck :)

Changing the topic a little, has anybody tried sideloading Litchi on the BT-300's?
I'm not sure if A it would work and B still think it was a registered copy. I dropped LItchi support an email, hopefully they'll get back to me, they used to be excellent last time I had dealings with them.

Had a reply from Litchi support, quick as ever but not good.

Hi,

Unfortunately we don’t support BT-300 because Epson doesn’t have Play store and licence server.

Kind Regards,
Litchi

I'm guessing it would run if they could validate the licence as they do with Google Play, shame, will still have to take a phone/tablet with me just for Litchi.

So does any of the Glyph/K1 shield users have issues with Marshmallow and/or Nougat?
My finger hit "buy"on the Glyph when i read it was plug and play with the Parrot Bebop2(HDMI on the remote). My daughter flies this one and the Glyph is not much more expensive than a Fatshark..So we're gonna look freaky racing on the field now. I sure will try it on the Mavic also, found a used K1 with still 6.0.1 on it. Will this work with the current GO4? I will report for a BT300 / Glyph screen quality and experience review when i receive the set.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet