DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Extra security for Mavic Pro and its battery

dennyc39

Reactions
I’ve read of instances of batteries coming disconnected or off with disastrous results. I have also caught myself partially unclipping the battery when I handled it with too much grip.
This works well:

Get some velcro tape 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch wide (non-adhesive!) and cut two pieces about 11-12 inches. The first one gets wrapped around the mavic with charged battery installed. Wrap it snugly around the aft end. keeping the props free.

The second gets wrapped around the folded Mavic and props, keeping it tidy for handling and transit. It keeps the blades tucked in where they can’t hook on something and break a prop (or much worse, just loosen it!) or pry the drone out of your hand. Of course you remove this one to unfold the drone in takeoff position.

The other strap remains on for the flight. Slide it forward slightly and let the body taper wedge it tight, providing a redundant hold-down for the battery. Don’t let it bear on the release buttons, but it doesn’t interfere with anything or add any significant drag during the flight.

I’ve read of instances of batteries coming disconnected or off with disastrous results. I have also caught myself partially unclipping the battery when I handled it with too much grip.
This works well:

Get some velcro tape 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch wide (non-adhesive!) and cut two pieces about 11-12 inches. The first one gets wrapped around the mavic with charged battery installed. Wrap it snugly around the aft end. keeping the props free.

The second gets wrapped around the folded Mavic and props, keeping it tidy for handling and transit. It keeps the blades tucked in where they can’t hook on something and break a prop (or much worse, just loosen it!) or pry the drone out of your hand. Of course you remove this one to unfold the drone in takeoff position.

The other strap remains on for the flight. Slide it forward slightly and let the body taper wedge it tight, providing a redundant hold-down for the battery. Don’t let it bear on the release buttons, but it doesn’t interfere with anything or add any significant drag during the flight.

I just use a rubber band. Only reason is that one of my batteries is missing one of the clips on one side. It actually still snaps in securely but I just use the rubber band for good measure. Should put you at ease though knowing you really only need one of the two sides to be clipped in.

I actually have the other side of this problem. When I go to release my batteries, I have to sort of wiggle them out of the MP while holding in the release buttons. They fit very snuggly to say the least. But I've heard others say that their batteries are actually sort of loose when they're clipped in, so I guess it's down to manufacturing tolerances in the MP and batteries.

This works well:

I just noticed that if the battery strap is cut too long or if the wrap is not done correctly, a double thickness at the tape overlap can interfere with folding a back leg into carry position.

In the drone-folded picture one strap is hiding the other. The only difference is that the outer strap carry secures the props and the first strap leaves them free.

The main purpose of sliding the flight strap forward is to tighten it a bit and to better center it on the battery.

This gives me better protection against an in-flight shutdown, as couple of times I have accidentally unclipped one side of the battery when I gripped it carelessly.

The golf balls on the deck have absolutely nothing to do with this.

Non-adhesive velcro, 3/4 inch wide:
velcro.JPG

battery strap:
battery strap.JPG

rigged for carry / storage / packing
Carry.JPG

ready for flight:
Ready.JPG

I just use a rubber band.

The rubber band works, and I sometimes use it (as when I can't find my strap because it is stuck to the back of my fleece.) They are also easier to come by than velcro in the right form. In a pinch, a rubber band can be applied or removed with one hand.

Couple of insignificant nitpicks:

1. Rubber bands will deteriorate and lose most of their strength, particularly when stored stretched.

2. If you were so unfortunate as to have serious swelling of the LiPo battery (a dangerous condition), I could imagine a scenario where the pressure would try to dislodge the battery. In this case, a well-secured velcro strap would provide more retaining force than a rubber band.

Still, I keep a couple of rubber bands in my kit in case I lose the straps, as has happened. Besides, a couple of good rubber bands are provided for free with a pound of asparagus. And, you get to eat the asparagus, my favorite vegetable.

The rubber band works, and I sometimes use it (as when I can't find my strap because it is stuck to the back of my fleece.) They are also easier to come by than velcro in the right form. In a pinch, a rubber band can be applied or removed with one hand.

Couple of insignificant nitpicks:

1. Rubber bands will deteriorate and lose most of their strength, particularly when stored stretched.

2. If you were so unfortunate as to have serious swelling of the LiPo battery (a dangerous condition), I could imagine a scenario where the pressure would try to dislodge the battery. In this case, a well-secured velcro strap would provide more retaining force than a rubber band.

Still, I keep a couple of rubber bands in my kit in case I lose the straps, as has happened. Besides, a couple of good rubber bands are provided for free with a pound of asparagus. And, you get to eat the asparagus, my favorite vegetable.

My issue with the Velcro is that it covers the bottom sensor. With the rubber band I just tuck it behind the rear landing gear so it’s out of the way of the sensors.

I use several thin rubber bands so that if one does break there are more to support it and this seems to help with the getting stretched out issue. The rubber I think also provides a certain amount of slip resistance. I also don’t have to remove them to hold up the mavic. But whatever makes you feel comfortable.

I like the Velcro for keeping the props in check when in storage though

I just noticed that if the battery strap is cut too long or if the wrap is not done correctly, a double thickness at the tape overlap can interfere with folding a back leg into carry position.
The main purpose of sliding the flight strap forward is to tighten it a bit and to better center it on the battery.

There is a potential problem. Be careful you don't obscure any of the down-sensors of the landing protection system. This will interfere with landing protection, VPS sensing and produce an error message in the app. Also a steady red on the status light. It's easier if you go with half-inch velcro rather than the 3/4.

Funnily enough, as I moved my Mavic Pro away from its carrying case, yesterday, I felt the battery come up. On checking, I found that I had pressed the release buttons, and the battery was insecure. From now on, I will include "Check battery is secure" in my pre-flight checklist.

Or, as I do: Immediately before EVERY flight, I check props and battery for positive lock right before I set it on the ground to turn it on. No extra pieces of anything to fiddle with.

I am curious if anyone who checks their props before take-off have actually found one to be loose? And if so, have you been able to determine what the cause or suspected cause was for them to become loose?

I am curious if anyone who checks their props before take-off have actually found one to be loose? And if so, have you been able to determine what the cause or suspected cause was for them to become loose?
Never once found a loose one. I am one who NEVER removes my props. Well, I'll take that back: About twice a year, I remove the props and inspect every square millimeter of them with close-up goggles, paying special attention to the hub area, looking for any signs of stress. Never found anything yet though.

Answering your question, no, but there are other considerations than just loose.
Ever since I had one of the securing tabs break off a prop and get lodged in the motor I have checked my props both pre and post flight. Also I have not stored my M2P with props installed since that time, mostly because it makes the inspection process easier and quicker without wear and tear on components involved.
As an aside I also have to believe that taking the props off must relieve some of whatever effects may occur due to prolonged compression of the tensioning spring holding the prop. Just me.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliassmith02