DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAASafetyTeam (FAAST)

Kuiper Denizen

Reactions
Last month I signed up for a seminar offered by an organization called “FAAST“ (F.A.A. Safety Team) on “Pro Tips for UAS-Understanding Local Laws and Remote ID update.”

When the morning of the seminar came I balked when I was prompted to load an updated Zoom program.

Looking more closely, I saw that the domain name for downloading and going to the seminar was “zoomgov.com”, an unexpected address for a government function.

I realize “Zoom” is not connected to the government and that “zoomgov.com” might be a commercial site for downloading a government compatible app. However, there was no comforting explanation as to security, etc. beyond being told to upgrade.

I‘m not the most tech savvy guy around, but I am not a conspiracy theorist. Other posts I’ve researched on this forum seem to question information from FAAST.

I didn’t want to get trapped into opening up an unwelcomed onslaught of e-mails, or worse, no matter how benign.

My question is how legitimate and accurate is this organization? Is it a knowledgeable department of the F.A.A.? Is participating in its offerings worthwhile?

Just doing my due diligence.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Zoomgov is legitimate. A lot of applications will create DoD/Government spinoffs with additional encryption or US-based datacenters to satisfy certain legislative/audit requirements.

It's never a bad thing to be skeptical, so can't fault you at all there. I can't promise you won't get signed up for some spam, however. :)

Signed, a guy who's "real job" is in applications and data security.

how legitimate and accurate is this organization
If you're referring to FAASTeam, it's legit and I am a representative. I also posted in the News Forum about the webinar.

Reactions: Captain Lopez
Thanks for your speedy reply, Jason. Your background certainly gives credence to your advice. I try to pay attention to any information I can get a hold of to be more informed on flying drones.

I hope to join your ranks. I’m taking an online seminar from Virginia Tech next week in preparation for my Part 107 test 12/18.

Glenn

Last month I signed up for a seminar offered by an organization called “FAAST“ (F.A.A. Safety Team) on “Pro Tips for UAS-Understanding Local Laws and Remote ID update.”

When the morning of the seminar came I balked when I was prompted to load an updated Zoom program.

Looking more closely, I saw that the domain name for downloading and going to the seminar was “zoomgov.com”, an unexpected address for a government function.

I realize “Zoom” is not connected to the government and that “zoomgov.com” might be a commercial site for downloading a government compatible app. However, there was no comforting explanation as to security, etc. beyond being told to upgrade.

I‘m not the most tech savvy guy around, but I am not a conspiracy theorist. Other posts I’ve researched on this forum seem to question information from FAAST.

I didn’t want to get trapped into opening up an unwelcomed onslaught of e-mails, or worse, no matter how benign.

My question is how legitimate and accurate is this organization? Is it a knowledgeable department of the F.A.A.? Is participating in its offerings worthwhile?

Just doing my due diligence.

You did the right thing not knowing if it was safe. There are plenty of Zoom phishing scams. What steps could you take on your own to determine if this link was safe?
  1. Google something like "is zoomgov.com a scam"
  2. Towards the top of the search results I find a link to "4 Things You Should Know About Zoom for Government"
  3. Check the domain of that blog posting (drop the blog subdomain) using WhoIs.
  4. See the owner of the domain is Zoom Video Communications, Inc. in Menlo Park. Check passed. So long as your DNS has not been hacked, you're good.
  5. What does the blog posting say?
As part of the normal course of business, U.S. Federal Government employees need to collaborate online while safeguarding crucial information and mitigating risk. In order to address these requirements, Zoom has a separate, entirely U.S.-based, specialized, and tailored platform designed to support the security controls and certifications required by the U.S. government, called Zoom for Government.

Reactions: Desert Drone Works
Thanks to all for the speedy replies.

Somewhere along the line I must have given my e-mail address to an outfit that supplied it to a plethora of conspiracy/doomsday bloggers. Now I’m unsubscribing from a host of wingnuts and Chicken Littles (if that works!).

Seems most of the wriggling worms online are on a hook. I’m glad to learn that FAAST is legitimate. The information offered is of great interest.

Thanks to all for the speedy replies.

Somewhere along the line I must have given my e-mail address to an outfit that supplied it to a plethora of conspiracy/doomsday bloggers. Now I’m unsubscribing from a host of wingnuts and Chicken Littles (if that works!).

Seems most of the wriggling worms online are on a hook. I’m glad to learn that FAAST is legitimate. The information offered is of great interest.
You are on solid ground. : ) Like @GFields I am a FAAST rep, and know Zoom quite well. : )

As others have said, that is the government zoom page. We (FAAST) have many webinars on that platform.

Also, it works via your own zoom program if you have one loaded. There is no need to actually download the zoomgov system. It's just the address for the FAA (& other) events.

Good call on being careful.

If you want to be notified of other webinars about drones, go to your FAA Safety account (Safer Skies Through Education - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov), and see what is offered. Go to "Account Preferences" and look at the "Seminar Preferences" tab and fill that out.

Reactions: TonyPHX
You can also join without a client using the Zoom Progressive Web App, PWA.

Somewhere along the line I must have given my e-mail address to an outfit that supplied it to a plethora of conspiracy/doomsday bloggers.
I feel your pain. I share my name with several people in the US, all of whom have at one time or another provided my email address instead of their's for various mailing lists*. Which is how I, a Canadian, am so well informed about the batshit-crazy ideas being touted by various American politicians and groups. :rolleyes:

*I'm certain it's carelessness (or cluelessness), not malice, because I also get emails about car service appointments, Amazon shopping baskets, dental equipment sales, Netflix accounts, furnace repair, family gatherings, and so on.

If you're referring to FAASTeam, it's legit and I am a representative. I also posted in the News Forum about the webinar.
I am an FAA Safety Team Representative , Wings Pro and Drone Pro . Regulations and Operations. I agree with GFields , it is legit .

Reactions: GFields