DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First attempt at night photography

Very nice work and you’re fortunate that night flying is allowed there in the UK as here in the USA we have to have a waiver if it’s past the 30 minute regulation. But I have taken my Inspire 2 up for a few minutes after dark and gotten some nice shots as well.
I just got my Pro a couple weeks ago and looking forward to shots similar to yours in the near future.
Keep up the good work. :)

Very nice! Night shots are difficult as you know due to the long exposure times. Did you set manual ISO at 100? I definitely recommend that, if not.

From a tone perspective I have had success with 3 shots, at -2, 0, and +2 EV, then merging to HDR in Lightroom. I think the Affinity preset you used did the mid tones OK but the bright lights are still blown out and there are places where it has really boosted the shadows and created a lot of grain/noise.

Here is one I did last year. It was very windy at the time which surely contributed to the motion blur.20171129-DJI_0380.jpg

Very nice! Night shots are difficult as you know due to the long exposure times. Did you set manual ISO at 100? I definitely recommend that, if not.

From a tone perspective I have had success with 3 shots, at -2, 0, and +2 EV, then merging to HDR in Lightroom. I think the Affinity preset you used did the mid tones OK but the bright lights are still blown out and there are places where it has really boosted the shadows and created a lot of grain/noise.

Here is one I did last year. It was very windy at the time which surely contributed to the motion blur.View attachment 54773

Very nice photos to the three of ya;)

Here is one I did last year. It was very windy at the time which surely contributed to the motion blur.View attachment 54773

Yeah this was very much a first attempt so plenty to get to grips with. Will definitely try and not blow the highlights in future shots.

Reactions: Inspirephil
Great shots guys, wish we could do night shots here in Western Australia, but CASA will not allow it for recreational flyers

Reactions: Aussie Oldtimer
BTW, would you be kind enough to remind me of the current regs in the UK for night time drone flying please?

For recreational pilots same as daytime. So max 120m altitude, 150m distance and no overflying built up areas / crowds, 50m min distance / altitude over isolated buildings / people and VLOS at all times

If you have your PfCO then your operation manual should have something on night operations.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin