DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Ipad, few questions before purchase

m4v1c

Reactions
Hey so I'm currently flying the MP with my Nexus 6p; the main downside I've been experiencing is the Go4 app crash multiple times & phone freezes requiring me to reboot it. Thus, I want to purchase my first Apple product: Ipad Mini 4, but do have some questions before buying it.

1) It appears the Go4 is more compatible with Apple product, is this true? Is it common for the Go4 app to crash while using the iPad mini 4?

2) What are the benefits of getting the Cellular model besides being able to download maps on the go? I read that a lot of flyers use airplane mode so whats the point of having data?

3) The MP+RC uses GPS+GLONASS, so there is no need for having Cellular data to locate the drone during flight or a crash, etc. is that right? I'm still able to use RTH function & Active Track mode & ALL other modes without data?

4) Can I tether my data from my Nexus 6p to the Ipad 4 Mini? Or do I need an Iphone to tether?

I'm leaning towards the Wifi only model since I see no use of purchasing the cellular & paying for a monthly fee. It appears that the only "feature" or benefit of NOT having is that I'll have to download maps with wifi before going out and flying.

Thanks!!

Hey so I'm currently flying the MP with my Nexus 6p; the main downside I've been experiencing is the Go4 app crash multiple times & phone freezes requiring me to reboot it. Thus, I want to purchase my first Apple product: Ipad Mini 4, but do have some questions before buying it.

1) It appears the Go4 is more compatible with Apple product, is this true? Is it common for the Go4 app to crash while using the iPad mini 4?

2) What are the benefits of getting the Cellular model besides being able to download maps on the go? I read that a lot of flyers use airplane mode so whats the point of having data?

3) The MP+RC uses GPS+GLONASS, so there is no need for having Cellular data to locate the drone during flight or a crash, etc. is that right? I'm still able to use RTH function & Active Track mode & ALL other modes without data?

4) Can I tether my data from my Nexus 6p to the Ipad 4 Mini? Or do I need an Iphone to tether?

I'm leaning towards the Wifi only model since I see no use of purchasing the cellular & paying for a monthly fee. It appears that the only "feature" or benefit of NOT having is that I'll have to download maps with wifi before going out and flying.

Thanks!!
The benefit of the cellular Mini is it has a GPS, the RC does not. The GPS in the mini allow you to use follow me mode.
1) I am not an apple guy but wish I was, the mini 4 seems to be the best for the GO4 app (and you can use the GS PRO app on DJI website!)
2) the benefit is having a GPS in your device to allow use of follow me mode.
3) the RC does not have GPS or GLONASS so you would not be able to use follow me mode and you would not be able to update your hope point when the mavic was in the air. You should be able to use all other modes.
4) do not know.
extra credit... you can buy the cellular and you do not have to pay a fee or hook it up, you get the GPS for free.
Regards,
-d.

Reactions: m4v1c
It appears the Go4 is more compatible with Apple product, is this true?
No. DJI supports DJI GO on all devices currently sold by Apple. They do not support DJI GO on the majority of Android devices though. Check out my list of recommended and commonly used devices here.

Is it common for the Go4 app to crash while using the iPad mini 4?
No.

What are the benefits of getting the Cellular model besides being able to download maps on the go?
You'll be able to stream your flights live to YouTube, Facebook, etc. and do other things that require an active Internet connection.

I read that a lot of flyers use airplane mode so whats the point of having data?
It frees up resources on the mobile device. For example, you don't need to have Wi-Fi enabled if you're only using the cellular connection. On some devices, disabling Wi-Fi could make it run better.

The MP+RC uses GPS+GLONASS, so there is no need for having Cellular data to locate the drone during flight or a crash, etc. is that right?
The remote controller does not contain a GPS receiver. Using a mobile device with a GPS receiver will not assist in locating a lost/crashed Mavic. The best available data will be stored in the TXT flight log on your mobile device. That flight log can be used to find the last recorded GPS location and other flight data to help determine where the Mavic landed/crashed after that point.

I'm still able to use RTH function & Active Track mode & ALL other modes without data?
You don't need cellular data to use any of the intelligent flight modes. You will need a GPS receiver in your mobile device to use Follow Me or manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If using an Apple device, only the cellular models contain a GPS receiver. It does not matter whether or not you activate the cellular service.

Can I tether my data from my Nexus 6p to the Ipad 4 Mini?
Yes.

Reactions: m4v1c
EDIT: I read this guy's post regarding someone else's MC+Ipad Mini 4 question.

It appears the WIFI ONLY model DOES NOT have a dedicated GPS, this goes into my 5th question

5) With the WIFI model, I can ONLY use RTH where I take off, but CANNOT update my RTH location, is that correct?

6) Does the Cellular model have a GPS? If so, do I need to purchase a cellular plan to use the GPS? Or the cellular model w/o a plan will do?

7) Besides "follow me" mode, can I use EVERY OTHER flying mode with the WIFI mode only?
upload_2017-3-27_4-15-47.png

EDIT: I read this guy's post regarding someone else's MC+Ipad Mini 4 question.

It appears the WIFI ONLY model DOES NOT have a dedicated GPS, this goes into my 5th question

5) With the WIFI model, I can ONLY use RTH where I take off, but CANNOT update my RTH location, is that correct?

6) Does the Cellular model have a GPS? If so, do I need to purchase a cellular plan to use the GPS? Or the cellular model w/o a plan will do?

7) Besides "follow me" mode, can I use EVERY OTHER flying mode with the WIFI mode only?
View attachment 9381
5)correctish, you can update your home point to your drones location.
6)yes on GPS no you do not have to purchase cellular, GPS will work for free
7)I believe so
Regards,
-d.

@msinger Thanks for the quick reply!

So it appears the benefits of having Ipad mini 4 Cellular is:
-Able to update RTH location
-Fb, youtube, etc Live
-Follow me app
-Having live satelite maps to look at

and I DONT need a monthly cellular plan to us GPS?

5)correct.
6)yes on GPS no you do not have to purchase cellular, GPS will work for free
7)I believe so
Regards,
-d.

Ok awesome! I wish the GPS comes with the wifi only model XD!

You don't need to purchase a cellular enabled iPad if you can share data, simply connect to the dedicated hotspot that you create with your phone. Save money on both ends.

OK. So after reading all of this exchange, it appears that the cost is the big factor here. You stated that this would be your first Apple product, You are in for a treat! The differance in price is around a $100 or so. However considering that when you are done flying for the day you use the Ipad for all other purposes for the next 4 or 5 years. It is not forever more tied to your aircraft,at some point in the future you will wonder how you ever got along without it. Trust us on that point! And You Don't Need a monthly cellular plan to take advantage of the GPS.

Happy Flying!

Reactions: Soundtekk
I switched from using my android Galaxy Note4 to a wifi only mini4 about a month ago. Haven't had 1 single problem with it yet (knock on wood). I tether my mini4 to my mobile hotspot on my note4.

The only drawback I have is that on my note4 there was an album the DJI go4 app created in my gallery called DJI RECORD. All of my flights were automatically stored in there so I could immediately playback the video. I can't seem to do that with the mini4. I need to have my mini4 still connected to the rc and mavic to view them.

I switched from using my android Galaxy Note4 to a wifi only mini4 about a month ago. Haven't had 1 single problem with it yet (knock on wood). I tether my mini4 to my mobile hotspot on my note4.

The only drawback I have is that on my note4 there was an album the DJI go4 app created in my gallery called DJI RECORD. All of my flights were automatically stored in there so I could immediately playback the video. I can't seem to do that with the mini4. I need to have my mini4 still connected to the rc and mavic to view them.

I think there's a setting for that not sure where it is though. Maybe it's cache. If they don't show up in on your iPad and caching is enabled, check under the editor tab of the Go4 main page.

I am in a similar situation. Just got my mavic last week, have been using my LG G3 and it hasn't crashed, works pretty fast. I had iPhones along time ago and hate them but currently looking at a mini 4. I just want something that is proven reliable, I don't need an Android restart or crash while I'm flying. Where is the best place to get one? Sprints trying to force me to buy a data plan to add a mini 4 or Amazon has them for about 350$. I think my best bet is a used one but they seem to still be around 300$ :/

I am in a similar situation. Just got my mavic last week, have been using my LG G3 and it hasn't crashed, works pretty fast. I had iPhones along time ago and hate them but currently looking at a mini 4. I just want something that is proven reliable, I don't need an Android restart or crash while I'm flying. Where is the best place to get one? Sprints trying to force me to buy a data plan to add a mini 4 or Amazon has them for about 350$. I think my best bet is a used one but they seem to still be around 300$ :/

Ebay or Amazon. I got a mint condition Mini4 on eBay for less than $300 about 2 months ago.

I think I may get it with Sprint and try out the plan for a few months then pay off the tablet and cancel the data if I can. Would be nice to have the connection for maps and everything else. Would I need to change any of the video recording settings if using a Apple product instead of Android?

You may lose some of your settings, you may not so if you've adjusted any flight/control characteristics I would jot them down so you can re-apply them.

I think there's a setting for that not sure where it is though. Maybe it's cache. If they don't show up in on your iPad and caching is enabled, check under the editor tab of the Go4 main page.

Can't find it. I go to editor in go4 app and it doesn't show the vids.

Can't find it. I go to editor in go4 app and it doesn't show the vids.

Do you have Video Cache turned on in the app? You need to turn that on and make sure you at least 2GB selected.

Im on the same boat as OP. Thinking of getting a mini or even an ipad air as my old ipad cant download GO4. Iphone 6+ works perfectly so far but wouldnt mind using a bigger screen.

The way i see it, but please correct me if im wrong, a wifi alone mini2-4 (without cellular) will suffice. Just use your phone as a hotspot for your ipad to connect to the internet and youre good to go. Will that set up be exactly the same as when im using my iphone 6+ but with a bigger screen, right or wrong?

Also, instead of putting my iphone to "airplane mode", i use "do not disturb". That way internet is still avail. Does that make any difference? Cheers!

Im on the same boat as OP. Thinking of getting a mini or even an ipad air as my old ipad cant download GO4. Iphone 6+ works perfectly so far but wouldnt mind using a bigger screen.

The way i see it, but please correct me if im wrong, a wifi alone mini2-4 (without cellular) will suffice. Just use your phone as a hotspot for your ipad to connect to the internet and youre good to go. Will that set up be exactly the same as when im using my iphone 6+ but with a bigger screen, right or wrong?

Also, instead of putting my iphone to "airplane mode", i use "do not disturb". That way internet is still avail. Does that make any difference? Cheers!
you are good to go, the only difference between airplane mode and "do not disturb" is I think it will just send calls to voicemail, not sure how that affects you, I do not need internet (normally I am too far away) so I just do to airplane mode. I would aim for the mini 4 if you have the means.
Regards,
-d.

Reactions: beejAMG

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard