DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Ipad, few questions before purchase

It would be the same. My suggestion is to go with Mini4, much faster than a 2, or 3.

Reactions: beejAMG
You don't get GPS with a wifi only iPad and you can't transfer GPS through hot spot.

DND will still send alerts to the phone when it's in use it just won't make noise or vibrate.

I'm confused at to why people are so hung up on GPS on their mobile device when flying. Are you seriously moving around that much from the time you launch that you need to continuously be updating your home point? I don't get it.

Reactions: Bunny Too
I'm confused at to why people are so hung up on GPS on their mobile device when flying. Are you seriously moving around that much from the time you launch that you need to continuously be updating your home point? I don't get it.
I am confused when I hear people are flying when they are in a car, DodgeP.
Regards,
-d.

Reactions: DodgeP
I guess everyone lives in sparsely populated areas.. lol

a wifi alone mini2-4 (without cellular) will suffice. Just use your phone as a hotspot for your ipad to connect to the internet and youre good to go. Will that set up be exactly the same as when im using my iphone 6+ but with a bigger screen, right or wrong?
It'll be the same minus GPS on your iPad Mini. GPS data cannot be shared via tethering to a phone. That won't matter if you don't need to use the features that require it though.

Thanks for the responses. Please enlighten me, How big a deal is flying with wifi only and without GPS? Would it have any effect on the MP whilst in the air? Any possible problems i may encounter? I normally just take off and stay in one spot. Will be using the MP when trekking sometime so might wanna use the "active track" but most likely ill be using my iphone 6+ when doing so. Just planning on using the ipad mini or ipad aid when flying whilst stationary with the RC.

Also, if i get an ipad mini or air with cellular and wifi. I can use it WITHOUT having to insert a sim card on the device and just use it as i initillay intended with the wifi yeah?

OP, i appologize but i have no intentions of hijacking your thread. Just dont wanna start another as i feel we have the same concern and will benefit from all the info other members can input here. Cheers!

Reactions: m4v1c
How big a deal is flying with wifi only and without GPS?
Without GPS on your mobile device, you cannot use Follow Me or reset the home point to your current location after taking off. Is that a big deal to you? Only you can decide.

Would it have any effect on the MP whilst in the air?
No.

Also, if i get an ipad mini or air with cellular and wifi. I can use it WITHOUT having to insert a sim card on the device and just use it as i initillay intended with the wifi yeah?
Yes.

Reactions: m4v1c and beejAMG
It'll be the same minus GPS on your iPad Mini. GPS data cannot be shared via tethering to a phone. That won't matter if you don't need to use the features that require it though.

Mate, sorry i was writing my reply when you wrote this so it may sound redundant. What are the features in the MP that needs GPS? Most important to me is the RTH. When i fly, i normally just stay in one position. If i plan to move, ill use my phone.

What are the features in the MP that needs GPS?
If you mean GPS on the mobile device, I listed those features in my comment above.

You do not need GPS on your mobile device to use the RTH features.

You don't need cellular data to use any of the intelligent flight modes. You will need a GPS receiver in your mobile device to use Follow Me or manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If using an Apple device, only the cellular models contain a GPS receiver. It does not matter whether or not you activate the cellular service.

Sorry i missed this. My bad.

I apologize for my noobie questions and I've sure its kind of been answered, but I just want to be 110% sure before dropping ~$300-400ish on the Ipad mini 4.

A) With the Cellular Ipad Mini 4 I can use RTH takeoff point AND "RTH to current position" (eg. if I'm flying on a boat, RTH back to my ipad mini). While the Wifi Only Ipad mini 4 I can only use RTH takeoff point because it does NOT have GPS, yes? Data/cellular plan (or Wifi) alone does not allow this feature to work?

B) If my first question is right, then with the Cellular Ipad, I DONT NEED Data/cellular plan to use the "RTH to current position" feature? This feature only requires you to have GPS on your device and NOT data/cellular plan?

C) In order to get live google maps during flight on the Go4, I NEED data/cellular plan; the GPS on the Cellular Ipad alone won't give me the maps, right?

D) The benefits of getting Cellular Ipad for strictly Mavic flying are:
-"RTH to current position" feature (does not require data/cellular plan, right? Just GPS?)
-Youtube, fb, etc LIVE
-Follow Me flight mode (this does not require data/cellular plan, just GPS?)
-Downloading google live maps via Go4 (only need data/cellular plan, NOT GPS?)

E) Is there any other feature that I'd be missing with the Wifi Only Ipad???

F) In order to use GPS requiring features, do I need to Turn on "GPS" on the Cellular Ipad mini 4 in order to use them? They won't work if my location is off?

Thanks you the help, I really cant wait to use a device that doesn't crash multiple times per flight!

I apologize for my noobie questions and I've sure its kind of been answered, but I just want to be 110% sure before dropping ~$300-400ish on the Ipad mini 4.

A) With the Cellular Ipad Mini 4 I can use RTH takeoff point AND "RTH to current position" (eg. if I'm flying on a boat, RTH back to my ipad mini). While the Wifi Only Ipad mini 4 I can only use RTH takeoff point because it does NOT have GPS, yes? Data/cellular plan (or Wifi) alone does not allow this feature to work?

B) If my first question is right, then with the Cellular Ipad, I DONT NEED Data/cellular plan to use the "RTH to current position" feature? This feature only requires you to have GPS on your device and NOT data/cellular plan?

C) In order to get live google maps during flight on the Go4, I NEED data/cellular plan; the GPS on the Cellular Ipad alone won't give me the maps, right?

D) The benefits of getting Cellular Ipad for strictly Mavic flying are:
-"RTH to current position" feature (does not require data/cellular plan, right? Just GPS?)
-Youtube, fb, etc LIVE
-Follow Me flight mode (this does not require data/cellular plan, just GPS?)
-Downloading google live maps via Go4 (only need data/cellular plan, NOT GPS?)

E) Is there any other feature that I'd be missing with the Wifi Only Ipad???

F) In order to use GPS requiring features, do I need to Turn on "GPS" on the Cellular Ipad mini 4 in order to use them? They won't work if my location is off?

Thanks you the help, I really cant wait to use a device that doesn't crash multiple times per flight!
A) correct
B)correct
C)depends, you can cache your maps before you leave to fly over WiFi, unless you are planning on flying for days at a time over hundreds of miles without the opportunity to pop in and update maps over WiFi, if you are going to be circumnavigating the globe and shunning all civilization you may need a data plan.
D) yes, for youtube you would also need cellular service, yes on Follow me, to download map in the middle of nowhere you would need a cellular plan AND GPS (I have never seen this need)
E)not that I am aware of
F)you need to turn on the location service and it helps if it is on "high accuracy"
If you have any other questions please post them.
Regards,
-d.

Last edited:
Reactions: m4v1c
One more thing. Im picking up an ipad air (cellular+wifi) maybe later and just wanted to ask. Is there a problem when you register the MP with 2 devices, (iphone and ipad)? Cheers!

One more thing. Im picking up an ipad air (cellular+wifi) maybe later and just wanted to ask. Is there a problem when you register the MP with 2 devices, (iphone and ipad)? Cheers!
No, many people have multiple devices they use depending on the need and condition. And you are not really registering the drone, just importing your DJI account to the app. I have the app on my phone and two or three different tablets.
Regards,
-d

I like you avatar, the only problem is ford just got 700 whp out of the Focus 2.0 for rally sport, I can not imagine having to work on that engine, I am a 347/427 guy myself with only eight to ten pounds of boost. Guess I am just a simple man.
Regards,
-d.

No, many people have multiple devices they use depending on the need and condition. And you are not really registering the drone, just importing your DJI account to the app. I have the app on my phone and two or three different tablets.
Regards,
-d

No worries. cheers mate!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi