DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly as You Are October 30

The Skydio 2 is around $900 and from what I understand the Mavic Mini is going to be in the $400 range. Just based on pricing I don't think they are competing for the same level of buyer. The camera specs (4K, 45MP versus 2.7K, 12MP) would also have those looking for video/picture quality at the level of $1K drones aren't going to looking at the Mavic Mini.

The Skydio camera is 4K,12MP. 45MP refers to its visual sensing capability (cheeky marketing designed to trick us I reckon). The Mavic Mini camera (if the leaked specs above are indeed 100% accurate) is also 4K, 12MP. The Skydio camera can also do 4K at 60fps which is superior to the entire DJI Mavic range but then the Mavic 2 Pro has the 1 inch sensor if that is something that excites you.

From what I can see the Mavic Mini is going to sell like hot cakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldBlueHeron
I like the idea of a hand sized drone, especially a DJI one. However what ”special sauce“ will they mix in to keep such a tiny drone stable and make sure a 20mph gust doesn’t blow it away or into a tree, or even worse. They have to have done lots of testing with all variables to accommodate these things. I know before I toss my money (yet again) I want to know this little bird is up to the task.

Reactions: Tiago_Wolf
I like the idea of a hand sized drone, especially a DJI one. However what ”special sauce“ will they mix in to keep such a tiny drone stable and make sure a 20mph gust doesn’t blow it away or into a tree, or even worse. They have to have done lots of testing with all variables to accommodate these things. I know before I toss my money (yet again) I want to know this little bird is up to the task.

I think that if you are contemplating flying a lightweight drone you're naturally going to keep it on the ground when the wind is strong. As always DJI will include tolerances such as maximum recommended wind strength in the specifications.

So, what will this be? The mini?

DJI very good at releasing new drones right before competitors release or ship their devices. Killed the GoPro drone. How will this affect the Skydio 2?

Z
I can actually not see any niche for this drone. Looks like market saturation to me. Hopefully they'll do something really different like an eliminating NFZ restrictions option for this particular model. Now that would be radical.

Reactions: Tiago_Wolf
Those propellers seem sketchy...
And there aren't any sensors? Hmmm

Don't know if all the hype will be Mavic Mini Related but... That fly as you are slogan is probably or most definitely somewhat lost in translation...

I can actually not see any niche for this drone. Looks like market saturation to me. Hopefully they'll do something really different like an eliminating NFZ restrictions option for this particular model. Now that would be radical.

Being sub 250gms, not subject to stricter regulations for over 250gm in most countries, and reasonably low pricing point, I feel this will saturate the market very well (and quite fast).

Christmas is only a couple of months away !!

I personally would rather see NFZs stay in such place for the likes of airport airspace, or we are going to see a trend of potential incidents happening, and if so more drone hysteria.
Possibly justified concern.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the regulations are for all drones being under 250 grams just means you don’t need to register

DJI very good at releasing new drones right before competitors release or ship their devices. Killed the GoPro drone. How will this affect the Skydio 2?

Z
Won't affect the Skydio simply because DJI has nothing like it, and the Mavic mini isn't there answer to it. DJI is gonna be pissed because they can't charge an extra $300-$400 dollars for the Mavic 3 over the Mavic 2 because people will flock to the Skydio. Competition is good for the consumer.

Reactions: Zandian
Without occusync, this drone is dead before it has even been released
I don't know about that one. The Mavic Air doesn't have OcuSync and it can easily fly much further than my eyes can see. I've never had any trouble with it transmission-wise either.

Z
I would have thought it's more likely to kill off the Mavic Air, and Spark. Apparently it will offer 30 minute flight time which is the Achilles heal of the the older two drones.
They won't need registration but there's some confusion over a sub-250g drone's legitimacy to flight outside of the current legislation for heavier drones. It's possible that we'll soon see hasty amendments to the rules.

Reactions: jb380
could be good for the teenage market, $400 is more in their price range (can I ask why we pay so much for a phone??). if you thought people hated drones before, I can't wait to see what it'll be like with this consumer bracket.

The weight has my attention for the regulatory benefits that it will have.
From earlier leaked images the battery appeared to be a 2 cell form factor, specifically 2x 18650 cells... which could open it up also to using batteries from other manufacturers, or potentially having a multitude of options at the least. Thinking custom aftermarket batteries using quality high density cells over 3000mAh = longer flight times. (Not talking the obvious fake cells - 20000mAh "Super lucky golden flower" variety).
I know that thought makes some uneasy, but I can't see how much different that is to people running "saddle packs" on MP's with FPV style LiPO's etc..
Check YouTube for a channel called Battery Mooch, the guy is known as the 18650 god of the Vaping world. He has run extensive testing on most brands of 18650’s and others in the same relative sizes.

Reactions: Chris_GREECE
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom