DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying above clouds

Tomcat

Reactions
Has anyone flown through and above overcast clouds. I was just concerned about more moisture in there damaging the Mavic. This would be well out of the vicinity of major centres

The mavic runs very hot .
And i see many mavics take a deep dives and still work .
So i belive no problem

Has anyone flown through and above overcast clouds.

This is pretty much illegal; clouds are your ceiling unless you're launching from above the clouds but in this case you're not so; this is pretty much illegal.

Last edited:
I didn't know a 300 to 400 foot ceiling included the countryside where there may not be so much as a farmyard for miles and any planes are up at 33,00 feet

I didn't know a 300 to 400 foot ceiling included the countryside where there may not be so much as a farmyard for miles and any planes are up at 33,00 feet

The rules are simple to follow because they are the same everywhere (in the U.S), with some geographical exceptions, but flying beyond line of sight and above a cloud ceiling when you've launched from below that ceiling, or flying above 400' from where you launch doesn't make the exceptions list.

You can do whatever makes you happy but what you can't do is say you didn't know the rules.

Reactions: WAXMAN and kykayak
The rules are simple to follow because they are the same everywhere (in the U.S), with some geographical exceptions, but flying beyond line of sight and above a cloud ceiling when you've launched from below that ceiling, or flying above 400' from where you launch doesn't make the exceptions list.

You can do whatever makes you happy but what you can't do is say you didn't know the rules.
Not arguing with you, just asking.....other than VLOS, where can I find the cloud ceiling guide (I just have never read that)? I'm sometimes in the mountains where a cloud bank can be maybe 100' over my head. I'm also not sure what you're saying with the 400' rule either, because I know for a fact that that is not illegal, unless within close proximity to an airport. FYI, I fly recreationally.

There are awsome videos of flying above clouds to be seen. Not everywhere requires ridiculous altitudes to achieve it. Some of the neatest videos I've seen were doing just that.

Reactions: KiterTodd
Not arguing with you, just asking.....other than VLOS, where can I find the cloud ceiling guide (I just have never read that)? I'm sometimes in the mountains where a cloud bank can be maybe 100' over my head. I'm also not sure what you're saying with the 400' rule either, because I know for a fact that that is not illegal, unless within close proximity to an airport. FYI, I fly recreationally.

Chart 91.155 (BASIC VFR MINIMUMS)

Class C, class B, class E Air space below 10,000 feet MSL:
visibility 3 statute mile minimum.
500 feet below
1000 feet above
2000 feet horizontally

Class G 1200 feet or less above the surface regardless of MSL altitude for aircraft other than helicopters daytime as provided in 91.155(b) 3 statute mile visibility, clear of clouds.

For helicopters 1/2 statute mile visibility clear of clouds

More than 1200 feet above the surface but less than 10,000 feet MSL daytime one statute mile visibility
500 feet below
1000 feet above
2000 feet horizontally

So even if you are standing on a mountain above 1200 feet you still have to be within 400 feet of the ground and 1000 feet above the clouds. I will leave you to figure out how to do that!

If you want to consider yourself a helicopter which I don't believe the FAA does you can't even fly when there are clouds in the sky.

I think this makes it clear that it would be illegal for a sUAS to fly above the clouds.

Reactions: Rauli Oinonen

500 feet below
1000 feet above
2000 feet horizontally

Class G 1200 feet or less above the surface regardless of MSL altitude for aircraft other than helicopters daytime as provided in 91.155(b) 3 statute mile visibility, clear of clouds.

More than 1200 feet above the surface but less than 10,000 feet MSL daytime one statute mile visibility
500 feet below
1000 feet above
2000 feet horizontally

So even if you are standing on a mountain above 1200 feet you still have to be within 400 feet of the ground and 1000 feet above the clouds. I will leave you to figure out how to do that!

If you want to consider yourself a helicopter which I don't believe the FAA does you can't even fly when there are clouds in the sky.

I think this makes it clear that it would be illegal for a sUAS to fly above the clouds.
You sound like a ton of fun...

500 feet below
1000 feet above
2000 feet horizontally

500 feet below
1000 feet above
2000 feet horizontally

I'm pretty sure 91.155 does not apply to model aircraft. The FAA implies the same in its response letter to Public Law 112-95 sec.336.
VLOS is the only real caution to give the OP in this case I believe. Let's refrain from policing our forum members, and incorrectly to boot. Especially when nothing has been done, and the proposed flight area is a relatively safe environment.

I'm pretty sure 91.155 does not apply to model aircraft. The FAA implies the same in its response letter to Public Law 112-95 sec.336.
VLOS is the only real caution to give the OP in this case I believe. Let's refrain from policing our forum members, and incorrectly to boot. Especially when nothing has been done, and the proposed flight area is a relatively safe environment.

You're contradicting yourself since flying BEYOND VLOS is against the rules as well. So let's refrain from trying to police our forum members who are promoting safe flying when you're promoting unsafe flying.

To address the OP's question, yesterday evening I flew my Mavic through some very low clouds (almost fog) that I hadn't realized was there until it seemed to suddenly vanish from my sight when ascending to 300 feet.

Took it back down a bit so I could see it, flicked it to Sport mode to so my time for the sunset shots I was after wouldn't run out with me still looking for a good position in the sky, and ended up passing through even lower wisps of cloud. (Ended up taking a quick video of it, and those grey wisps sliding aside to reveal the gold sunset was prety darn cool.)

Anyway, after landing, I saw droplets of moisture along each arm (the props were pretty much totally dry. Wiped them anyway with a Kleenex) and some light moisture along the front and top of the Mavic, just the bits exposed to the cloud first.

The camera lens was fogged like my glasses after getting indoors in the winter, and that got a wiping from me right away. Had to carefully wipe the little crevasses on the gimbal clear of droplets too.

Left the Mavic in front of a table fan, upside down, for the next 50 minutes to make sure it dried.

So far, no problems here, but I'm not brave enough to make a habit of it.

TL;DR version: It gets damp. Wipe that gizmo down as soon as it lands, and be aware that until it does so, moisture could be creeping in through the vents and it'll need time to dry that out too.
Also, flying through clouds means you could fog up the outside of your lens and get some really blurry shots for the rest of the flight.

Reactions: larkin and Tomcat
You're contradicting yourself since flying BEYOND VLOS is against the rules as well. So let's refrain from trying to police our forum members who are promoting safe flying when you're promoting unsafe flying.
Not contradicting. I said VLOS was the caution to give, not the false info about 400'. And you just can't cite code that doesn't apply to our flying. I like to promote safe flying as well! But depending where you fly, those conditions can change! Your post had nothing to offer the OP regarding his question. Difference between promoting safe flying and "policing".

Last edited:
To address the OP's question, yesterday evening I flew my Mavic through some very low clouds (almost fog) that I hadn't realized was there until it seemed to suddenly vanish from my sight when ascending to 300 feet.

Took it back down a bit so I could see it, flicked it to Sport mode to so my time for the sunset shots I was after wouldn't run out with me still looking for a good position in the sky, and ended up passing through even lower wisps of cloud. (Ended up taking a quick video of it, and those grey wisps sliding aside to reveal the gold sunset was prety darn cool.)

Anyway, after landing, I saw droplets of moisture along each arm (the props were pretty much totally dry. Wiped them anyway with a Kleenex) and some light moisture along the front and top of the Mavic, just the bits exposed to the cloud first.

The camera lens was fogged like my glasses after getting indoors in the winter, and that got a wiping from me right away. Had to carefully wipe the little crevasses on the gimbal clear of droplets too.

Left the Mavic in front of a table fan, upside down, for the next 50 minutes to make sure it dried.

So far, no problems here, but I'm not brave enough to make a habit of it.

TL;DR version: It gets damp. Wipe that gizmo down as soon as it lands, and be aware that until it does so, moisture could be creeping in through the vents and it'll need time to dry that out too.
Also, flying through clouds means you could fog up the outside of your lens and get some really blurry shots for the rest of the flight.
There was a post maybe 2 months ago where a pilot was flying in a fog layer over some water and he got moisture in his Mav as well. This is definitely something to be careful of.

This is pretty much illegal; clouds are your ceiling unless you're launching from above the clouds but in this case you're not so; this is pretty much illegal.
So is texting and driving. And yes many people live above clouds and fly above them!

Say what?
he said he is only happy on Sundays and you missed that window.

Maybe he is a Sunday mavic pilot quick bacon sarnie on a Sunday morning, backpack on, 10 minute pre- flight and strip-down. 5 minute warming the brushless motors. 4 minute flight over a grassy field 5.1 miles from an airport, and home in time for Sunday roast and a nap.

Nothing wrong with that :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan