DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Aruba

tca

Reactions
I am going to Aruba for a week and would like to fly my MA...
I requested information from Aruba and was sent an e mail with a person to contact along with their rules......I have sent the person three e mails without an anaswer.....I filled out the form for flying there also...
Anyone with any information on Arub flying.

Reactions: roflyer
It's ok to fly there following the general drone rules and common sense. It's a windy island, sometimes I only managed to fly in sport mode, especially if you're flying upwind, so check your battery levels during flight and take this in consideration. Also you don't have to worry about customs regarding your drone.

This is a video I made from my vacation there with many drone footage from my old but awesome Mavic Pro:

If you like, please consider subscribbing to my YouTube channel.
Cheers!!

Loved the underwater footage... GPro?
A bit long for me, but covered a lot of subject matter well.
I have a passion for pufferfish. Found 3 species about 30 feet off the beach near Los Barriles in Baja.
F8B53717-BEC0-4C9C-A266-7863A543BE77.jpeg0646A432-EDBE-4E22-9D79-5C2EAD316861.jpegF6D29639-EC67-4ADE-BE67-58D293B00EC1.jpeg

Reactions: Redleg and roflyer
Loved the underwater footage... GPro?
A bit long for me, but covered a lot of subject matter well.
I have a passion for pufferfish. Found 3 species about 30 feet off the beach near Los Barriles in Baja.
View attachment 79973View attachment 79974View attachment 79976
Yes the underwater footage was made with a GoPro Hero6, and the video is really long (I merged 03 smaller videos on one)... Nice sealife pics you have!!! I have other scuba (and drone) themed videos from Hawaii, Palau, Bahamas, Bonaire if you would like to have a look! Consider subscribbing to my channel if you like!
Thnaks!! :)

Reactions: Thomas B
Hi....

Thanks for the information.....and the clips is GREAT!

I do have a few more questions about flying in Aruba..........

I am attaching a letter I got form: Aerodromes and Air Traffic Services Inspector of the Department of Civil Aviation Aruba (DCAA).......the letter came in a response to a letter I had sent about flying drones in Aruba......can you please read it and let me know "IF" you had to do what is said to fly in Aruba....Here is the letter:

Dear Mr. Candler,
Thank you for your e-mail.
My name is Willem Vrolijk and I am the Aerodromes and Air Traffic Services Inspector of the Department of Civil Aviation Aruba (DCAA).
Regarding your questions on drone regulations in Aruba, I would like to inform you as follows.
The DCAA hereby would like to inform you that they do grant permission to operate drones in the Aruban airspace.
In order to receive such permission, the following information have to be submitted to the DCAA.
- The name of the person or company, on which the permission will be issued;
- The type of drone that is going to be operated;
- The purpose (or intention) of the requested drone operating permit;
- The maximum height that the drone will be operated at. Usually the DCAA doesn’t give permission to fly higher than 200 feet.
Exceptions can be made only after consultation with the DCAA;
- The name of the drone operator;
- A local mobile telephone number (an international number or a local landlinenumber will not be accepted) where the operator
can be reached (urgently) during the operations by the Control Tower;
A local mobile telephone is required in case the Control Tower needs to contact the drone operator urgently during the
drone operation. The Control Tower cannot make international phone call as such an international number cannot be accepted.
The telephone number of a landline can also not be accepted because you would be unreachable during the drone
operation.
There is a possibility to obtain (rent) a mobile phone or buy a local chip at our local telecommunication company SETAR, that has
a branch at the airport. You can contact their helpdesk at
[email protected] or by phone on (297)525-1000 (ask for the
mobile department) and arrange the necessary with them.
You can also check with the hotel where you are going to stay at, if they are able to help you herewith.

- The drone operation site;
- The date, time and duration of the drone operation.
The DCAA requires that the drone operator is aware of the basic international flight rules of the air, that applies when operating drones, such as (but not limited to):
- maintaining a visual line of sight (VLOS) when operating a drone. When utilizing the “First Person View (FPV) technology, a
second person shall act as an observer;
- never operate in Prohibited or Restricted Areas, especially near the airport (not within 4 kilometers);
- never operate in the vicinity of aircraft, over groups (accumulation) of people, stadiums or sports events;
- never operate near emergency response efforts such as fires, accidents etc.;
- never operate under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
- never operate your drone in such a way, that could endanger people or property;
- never operate your drone in rainy or stormy weather or in extreme low visibility;
- never operate your drone at night;
- never fly over private property and/or breach privacy laws.
The DCAA also requires that you make sure you understand and operate the drone in accordance with the procedures and limitations mentioned in the Supplier’s User Manual. And also, that a thorough “Preflight Check” is done before each flight, to confirm that the drone is operating properly.
Only drones operating in the frequencies 2.4 and 5.8 GHz are permitted to operate in Aruba.
The DCAA also wants to emphasize, that the drone operator (or company) is legally responsible for the safe conduct of each flight. Especially for avoiding collisions with people, buildings or objects and breaching of privacy laws. It is therefore strongly advisable that the drone operator (or company) is covered by an insurance.
All flights must have prior approval of the Department of Civil Aviation Aruba (DCAA). This approval however does not absolve the drone operator (or company) of any legal responsibility and no rights can be derived thereof.
The DCAA will not grant permission if the request is not send at least one (1) working day in advance of the date of activity.
The DCAA also strongly advises to contact customs at https://www.douane.aw in case a (special) permission is needed from them.
Contact persons at the DCAA are:
Mr. Willem Vrolijk at telephone 5232665 ext. 677, e-mail: [email protected] or
Mr. Anthony Kirchner at telephone 5232665 ext. 672, e-mail: [email protected]
If you have any additional question(s), do not hesitate to contact one of the abovementioned persons.
Regards,
Willem A.I. Vrolijk
Aerodromes and ATS Inspector
Department of Civil Aviation Aruba
raw

Sabana Berde 73-B /Oranjestad /Aruba
Tel: (+297)523 2665 ext. 677
Fax: (+297)582 3038
[email protected]

Reactions: roflyer
I
Hi....

I am attaching a letter I got form: Aerodromes and Air Traffic Services Inspector of the Department of Civil Aviation Aruba (DCAA).......the letter came in a response to a letter I had sent about flying drones in Aruba......can you please read it and let me know "IF" you had to do what is said to fly in Aruba....Here is the letter:

Dear Mr. Candler,
My name is Willem Vrolijk and I am the Aerodromes and Air Traffic Services Inspector of the Department of Civil Aviation Aruba (DCAA).
Regarding your questions on drone regulations in Aruba, I would like to inform you as follows.
The DCAA hereby would like to inform you that they do grant permission to operate drones in the Aruban airspace.
In order to receive such permission, the following information have to be submitted to the DCAA.
- The maximum height that the drone will be operated at. Usually the DCAA doesn’t give permission to fly higher than 200 feet.
- A local mobile telephone number (an international number or a local landlinenumber will not be accepted) where the operator
A local mobile telephone is required in case the Control Tower needs to contact the drone operator urgently during the
drone operation. The Control Tower cannot make international phone call as such an international number cannot be accepted.
The telephone number of a landline can also not be accepted because you would be unreachable during the drone
operation.
There is a possibility to obtain (rent) a mobile phone or buy a local chip at our local telecommunication company SETAR, that has
You can also check with the hotel where you are going to stay at, if they are able to help you herewith.

The DCAA requires that the drone operator is aware of the basic international flight rules of the air, that applies when operating drones, such as (but not limited to):
- maintaining a visual line of sight (VLOS) when operating a drone. When utilizing the “First Person View (FPV) technology, a
- never operate in Prohibited or Restricted Areas, especially near the airport (not within 4 kilometers);
- never operate in the vicinity of aircraft, over groups (accumulation) of people, stadiums or sports events;
- never operate your drone in such a way, that could endanger people or property;
- never operate your drone in rainy or stormy weather or in extreme low visibility;
The DCAA also requires that you make sure you understand and operate the drone in accordance with the procedures and limitations mentioned in the Supplier’s User Manual. And also, that a thorough “Preflight Check” is done before each flight, to confirm that the drone is operating properly.
Only drones operating in the frequencies 2.4 and 5.8 GHz are permitted to operate in Aruba.
The DCAA also wants to emphasize, that the drone operator (or company) is legally responsible for the safe conduct of each flight. Especially for avoiding collisions with people, buildings or objects and breaching of privacy laws. It is therefore strongly advisable that the drone operator (or company) is covered by an insurance.
All flights must have prior approval of the Department of Civil Aviation Aruba (DCAA). This approval however does not absolve the drone operator (or company) of any legal responsibility and no rights can be derived thereof.
The DCAA will not grant permission if the request is not send at least one (1) working day in advance of the date of activity.
The DCAA also strongly advises to contact customs at https://www.douane.aw in case a (special) permission is needed from them.
If you have any additional question(s), do not hesitate to contact one of the abovementioned persons.
Regards,
Willem A.I. Vrolijk
raw

[email protected]
I was not required to have a local phone or submit any info for flying a drone at the time I visited Aruba (jan 2018). The best places for flying are almost desert or above the water, so as long as you don't attract too much attention to yourself and follow general rules you will be good.

Hi....

Dear Mr. Candler,
operation.

Regards,
Willem A.I. Vrolijk
raw

[email protected]
Did they send you back a letter or form to show at customs? I have email all this information to Willem but he is out of the office till the 1st of the year. They did give me another email to send it to but havent heard anything back. Just wondering if I would have any problems at customs.
I'm also going to Curacao and they quickly emailed me back with everything stamped and good to go with customs.

Not sure how accustomed to flying over water you are but roflyer brought up a nugget. Pay extreme attention to the wind out there. Best practice is to plan your flight with a headwind first, then when it's time to RTH you'll have a nice tailwind. If you do it backwards and rely on the software to tell you when to RTH, you run a high risk of losing the UAS, headwinds are not in the math. BLUF: Be extra sensitive to the winds and where they're blowing.

Reactions: Touring497
Did they send you back a letter or form to show at customs? I have email all this information to Willem but he is out of the office till the 1st of the year. They did give me another email to send it to but havent heard anything back. Just wondering if I would have any problems at customs.
I'm also going to Curacao and they quickly emailed me back with everything stamped and good to go with customs.
I am going to Aruba as well (inJanuary) and i just emailed to find out about customs. For flying authorization, I am not sure if I want to "wing it" (pun intended) or get real permission. Either way, i always fly by the rules.

I've been there 3X the last three years in January and February. All times with Mavic's for a week. Two times I never in bothered trying to fly, constant 20-25-mph with gust to 35mph. Great for windsurfing. Last year I managed to fly for about 30 minutes one day before it got too windy.

I was focusing flying on the Eastern side of the Island

I've been there 3X the last three years in January and February. All times with Mavic's for a week. Two times I never in bothered trying to fly, constant 20-25-mph with gust to 35mph. Great for windsurfing. Last year I managed to fly for about 30 minutes one day before it got too windy.

I was focusing flying on the Eastern side of the Island
Did you have any trouble with customs and did you get DCAA pre-flight approval?

It's ok to fly there following the general drone rules and common sense. It's a windy island, sometimes I only managed to fly in sport mode, especially if you're flying upwind, so check your battery levels during flight and take this in consideration. Also you don't have to worry about customs regarding your drone.

This is a video I made from my vacation there with many drone footage from my old but awesome Mavic Pro:

If you like, please consider subscribbing to my YouTube channel.
Cheers!!
Nice! Thanks! We will be in Aruba next week the 19th of June. Am not into scuba diving though:( You have reached many places there it appears.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet