DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying In National Parks

ScottTX

Reactions
Hi All,

I know it is illegal to fly in National Parks. But can I fly 400' up, right outside the boundaries of a National Park?
I want to photograph the Capulin Volcano in the Capulin National Monument in New Mexico.

1644716196603.png

You can fly from outside the park boundaries. By you still need to maintain all FAA regulations, with VLOS being the most difficult to not violate.

Reactions: MavicFlyer2
Just to be clear, If I take off outside of the park, I can actually fly within (over) it?

Just to be clear, If I take off outside of the park, I can actually fly within (over) it?
Yes.

Just don't disturb wildlife, or other visitors.

Thanks! - I was born and raised in CO, and I usually drive by Capulin when I visiting my CO friends :)

Reactions: Vic Moss
BTW, I highly recommend driving up Volcano Road in this monument. The view is amazing.

Understand that the park people are not going to love it and the local cops may well think you can't fly over the park even though they would be wrong. I have a similar situation and when I fly "over" a park via a launch outside the park I am extra careful to maintain vlos, set my drone max altitude to under 400ft, take care to not fly over people, etc etc and park legally :). The admonition above about not hassling wildlife it particularly important. Be sure you never fly close enough for any big animals to take note of you and certainly not react to your drone. When I fly over local parks that don't allow me to fly from within them I launch from the hood of my car. :)

Yes you are allowed to overfly, just not setting foot while taking off, flying, landing etc.
You must follow all the FAA drone rules for rec or part 107 of course, and quite likely rangers would know these, and possibly report (but not be able to cite ?) you if you went outside altitude rule or VLOS for example.

In reality, 400' altitude limitation and maintaining VLOS would preclude flying over a National Park very far from just outside a boundary.
Most places that is, there could be open desert type exceptions, using good strobes etc to get a little further out.

Reactions: MKurr and MPone
"When I fly over local parks that don't allow me to fly from within them I launch from the hood of my car. :)"

How is that any different? You are still technically inside the park no matter if your drone is on the ground or on top of your car? You are still launching from within the park.

Reactions: Sylvia-Khatt
"When I fly over local parks that don't allow me to fly from within them I launch from the hood of my car. :)"

How is that any different? You are still technically inside the park no matter if your drone is on the ground or on top of your car? You are still launching from within the park.
I assumed it meant they were outside the park with their car. Used hood to launch & then flew over. Could be wrong on that but given context, it makes sense.

You better not give the LEO’s any reason to take exception and, as stated above, don’t assume that they know the FAA jurisdiction and laws. You have to ask yourself if it’s worth it. Best wishes.

As others have already stated, it is legal to take off and land OUTSIDE NP property. Maintaining visual may not be the easiest task. ALSO, be aware the NPS may NOT take kindly to “wildlife harassment” while conducting your overflight. NPS wildlife may be anything from Aves to warm-blooded mammals! Please use extreme care, err on the side of good judgement, and show us the results.

You better not give the LEO’s any reason to take exception and, as stated above, don’t assume that they know the FAA jurisdiction and laws. You have to ask yourself if it’s worth it. Best wishes.
It's absolutely worth it. We can't just not fly somewhere because someone doesn't understand the rules. We can't acquiesce to every person who doesn't like drones, and/or doesn't know the rules.

We just need to be ready to explain them to anyone who questions them.

Hi All,

I know it is illegal to fly in National Parks. But can I fly 400' up, right outside the boundaries of a National Park?
I want to photograph the Capulin Volcano in the Capulin National Monument in New Mexico.
Hello Scottx:

A couple of suggestions for recording images of the Capulin Volcano:

1. most of the land to the north and NE, including the lower NE slopes of the volcano are New Mexico State Trust Lands -
E18CC637-51FF-4F91-9581-99AA3E9920FD.png

2. You can get a recreational permit for New Mexico State Trust Lands here.

Looking at the map, I think you might be able to access a great morning shooting location from one of the two tracks approaching the NE side of the volcano from highway 325. Satellite imagery suggests those tracks migh get pretty muddy in wet conditions so 4x4 could help. From some of those areas you might not even need to fly over the National Monument.

Let us know how it goes!

Howard

Reactions: Rudiger
Regarding Wildlife, You might also check to see if there are any known nesting areas for protected birds, i.e. Bald Eagles, etc. Disturbing their nesting areas can cause you big headaches, fines, and other legal issues. If they are in the area you plan to fly, you might want to change your plans.

Regarding Wildlife, You might also check to see if there are any known nesting areas for protected birds, i.e. Bald Eagles, etc. Disturbing their nesting areas can cause you big headaches, fines, and other legal issues. If they are in the area you plan to fly, you might want to change your plans.
Visited Capulin this past December, No wildlife, not even an eagle. Because Capulin and similar volcanic peaks in the area offer such different environments from the surrounding high plains, I suspect they're each a very small, fragmented habitat, so not very conducive to much unique wildlife, certainly not any megafauna. Well worth the trip though.

Reactions: HoozierDroneDaddy

It's not. I don't park inside a Park. I fly OVER (into) a Park at times but launch from outside the Park. That was the point of this comment. I just launch from my car hood so cops can't bring up any issue with me taking up another parking space if I'm in an area where that could be the point, or any other issue they might have with me putting a pad out. It's just another thing I do to lessen the ability to complain about my launch.

I don't think launching a drone from the top of car or its motor hood is a good idea. Metal creates interference to GPS readings and sometime your drone will refuse to fly. This also happens with picnic tables having metallic structures. At least, this happens with a Mavic Air 1.

I don't think launching a drone from the top of car or its motor hood is a good idea. Metal creates interference to GPS readings and sometime your drone will refuse to fly. This also happens with picnic tables having metallic structures. At least, this happens with a Mavic Air 1.
Outstanding tip. I never considered that problem but have not run into it yet. So far it's been my experience that I get a lock shortly after takeoff (home point) but I have gotten into the habit of often taking off from my car hood when there is no good reason to do so and appreciate your tip.

Reactions: Rchawks
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev