DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Front sensors slowing Mavic to a crawl

Golfnut

Reactions
Had an issue with the Mavic speed. Latest firmware, no wind, not in tripod or beginners mode but Mavic would not exceed 8mph. In sport mode, 40mph was no problem. Finally discovered the cause of the problem...front sensors. With front sensors on, 8mph, with front sensors off, 30mph. Anyone with similar problems or suggestions?

Was the sun low in the sky? Some folks have reported issues with the front sensors struggling when headed straight into low sun.

Reactions: pjnashville
Had an issue with the Mavic speed. Latest firmware, no wind, not in tripod or beginners mode but Mavic would not exceed 8mph. In sport mode, 40mph was no problem. Finally discovered the cause of the problem...front sensors. With front sensors on, 8mph, with front sensors off, 30mph. Anyone with similar problems or suggestions?
Never heard of that issue before but I would try calibrating the front vision sensors using dji assistant - Were you flying in bright sunlight? other users are reporting issues with the vision sensors flaring and triggering obstacle avoidance in the sun

If you still have issues after calibration either turn the sensors off and be careful or contact DJI for an RMA

Thank you for your responses. I have tried different times of the day and in 4 different directions in order to eliminate the effect of the sun. I have seen obstacle avoidance triggered when flying into the sun but this isn't the problem. The drone doesn't stop and indicate an obstacle. It just won't go over 8mph. I will look into the calibrating the front sensors once I figure out how to do that.

Reactions: Splatt
The Mavic does slow down as it detects objects in front of it. I can't find the exact distance, but I believe it will start to slow down if an obstacle is within about 5m range. And then when an object is within about a meter, it will then stop completely. Sounds to me like your Mavic thinks there's something in front of it, but not close enough to make the Mavic want to stop. Does the onscreen radar show up while this is happening, indicating objects within range?

Could be dirty sensors, or maybe they just need recalibrating for whatever reason.

Check the front stereoscopic cameras on the front. There are clear stickers on them that need to be peeled off. Perhaps you still have them on?

All great suggestions that unfortunately I have already considered. Regardless of where I fly...sun no sun wind no wind high low or in between this sucker won't go over 8mph when the front sensors are on, clean and free of packing stickers. I tried to find front sensor calibration and could only find camera calibration which will only work if you have a monitor larger than 12.5". So much for portability. I travel much lighter than that. I've been warned against doing an IMU calibration without be advised to do so. Is that where I'd find the front sensor calibration. It's somewhat perplexing as I'm flying with sensors disabled and I don't like that.

Reactions: Nephiliam
I have re-loaded the firmware and will try tomorrow again. In the meantime I have contacted DJI support but there's no telling how long that will take.

All great suggestions that unfortunately I have already considered. Regardless of where I fly...sun no sun wind no wind high low or in between this sucker won't go over 8mph when the front sensors are on, clean and free of packing stickers. I tried to find front sensor calibration and could only find camera calibration which will only work if you have a monitor larger than 12.5". So much for portability. I travel much lighter than that. I've been warned against doing an IMU calibration without be advised to do so. Is that where I'd find the front sensor calibration. It's somewhat perplexing as I'm flying with sensors disabled and I don't like that.

Snap. I've the same problem, but mine was caused by a minor crash that I had. Dinged the front left camera housing, but no other obvious damage. Mavic now won't fly above 4mph with front sensors on. Also RTH doesn't work in that the Mavic climbs to Max altitude and won't land without manual intervention. I've re-calibrated the cameras - no change. Think I'll have to send it back...

I know it's an old thread but I'm experiencing the same issue. Minor crash and now I can't go over 8 mph unless I'm in sport mode. Front sensor problem I suspect. Anybody solve this yet without rma to DJI?

Had the same experience when flying towards the sun (sunset) as soon as I turned away from the sun, the speed was normal.
So I would definitively say it is the front sensors slowing it down.

Not much of a problem for me, but I will try calibrating the sensors to see if it changes anything.

Resolved, Re calibrating in the DJI assistant worked for me.

Curious if its only 8mph while flying forward. San you strafe or go backwards at normal speeds?

It seems there is something going on for sure with the forward avoidance and the update.

Thank you for your responses. I have tried different times of the day and in 4 different directions in order to eliminate the effect of the sun. I have seen obstacle avoidance triggered when flying into the sun but this isn't the problem. The drone doesn't stop and indicate an obstacle. It just won't go over 8mph. I will look into the calibrating the front sensors once I figure out how to do that.

I too have same " slow " issue with my 3 month old Mavic Pro. Was fine up till a couple weeks ago. Last 3 flights, in Atti or GPS mode, I get around 8 mph max. In Sport mode 40 mph, no problems, I too will try the front sensors and bring my report back here. Sure is frustrating.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31