DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FW Update .800 Things to know from testing

My thought since I had not been prompted to update to .800 is that I got caught in a software / hardware changes by DJI . Now it looks like I should be able to unlock the zone with DJI account and CC. Yes bout 1.5 miles from a makeshift unmanned airstrip that's rarely used.. when I launched.. as well as all flight was farther from the authorization zone. Old firmware / software flying in New DJI zoning will not act the same...... flew weeks prior with no issues on disconects

You have experienced one of DJI's ongoing False / Positive Triggering issues since introducing the NFZ upgrades --- Sorry for your loss for future reference when you get your Mavic back, find a software and FW combination that works for you and don't change it .keep it from communicating over the Web

You have experienced one of DJI's ongoing False / Positive Triggering issues since introducing the NFZ upgrades --- Sorry for your loss for future reference when you get your Mavic back, find a software and FW combination that works for you and don't change it .keep it from communicating over the Web
I have also sent request for unlock to /flysafe for my now 2nd one.. its just a yellow zone.. ir says i should be able to. Sure is spooky not being able to control a safe Landing.

I have also sent request for unlock to /flysafe for my now 2nd one.. its just a yellow zone.. ir says i should be able to. Sure is spooky not being able to control a safe Landing.
Yeah it is Spooky not having control of a 1000 dollar Craft
Under the new FW while within the Yellow zone you still have to request for an unlock of the NFZ????
I thought the yellow zone does not need a request to be unlocked ???

Reactions: Pdxpaul
Yeah it is Spooky not having control of a 1000 dollar Craft
Under the new FW while within the Yellow zone you still have to request for an unlock of the NFZ????
I thought the yellow zone does not need a request to be unlocked ???
Me too but.. I was informed by DJI it's a NFZ and I surf n fly there regularly so I'm trying to remove any issues.. forgetting to go into airplane mode... $850.00 mistake..

Hi guys, I thought I would start a thread to help clarify some important concerns that have arisen based on the release notes. I upgraded everything and did some field tests, so hopefully this thread alleviates some concerns.

First what is being upgraded?
  • The battery (I think)
  • The Mavic
  • The RC
  • The goggles
How to upgrade:
It's easiest to just use the DJI Go 4 app. To upgrade all of your gadgets at once, turn on the goggles, Mavic, RC and connect your Go 4 app to the RC and start the upgrade. Make sure is everything charged fully, the upgrade takes a while to reach all devices. You can upgrade each device individually with DJI Assistant however.

So what how do these new safety restrictions work?
As you're well aware of, if the DJI Go 4 app isn't connected the drone will not fly very far. Those restrictions are immediately lifted as soon as the DJI Go 4 app is activated and connected, and is logged on. If you are not logged on, you need an internet connection to log on and lift the restrictions. Once lifted, they do not return until the aircraft is rebooted. So if the app disconnects, the drone will continue to function normally.

You can lift the restrictions on the craft without an internet connection if the DJI Go app is already logged on to your account. I imagine any app using the DJI SDK will work as well to lift these restrictions.

What about the NFZ update?
Once updated, the app will ask you to update the NFZ DB. It seems to actually fix some NFZ issues people have come across in the .600 and .700 FWs.

If anyone has any questions, please ask.

Upgrade and two flights with no issues. Upgrade sat at % forever. No indication to proceed or exit, etc. I finally exited and like others and per instructions reboot Mavic, controller and also rebooted app.

hi guys ...
quick questions ... do u recommend to update the dji go app to its newest version ? is it possible without updating the FW ? and what r the Disadvantages by updating the dji app ? is it possible not to update the firmware and continue using the MP without any Implications.?

thanks for your help :)

OK so DJI can actually land your craft if you accidentally fly in a NFZ ?? I fly over water a lot and if this is true..I'm done with DJI...I don't want a random take over at anytime of my bird. Please just want the truth...thanks

Last edited:
Just a quick note. If you have multiple batteries you need to apply the update with each one installed in your Mavic Pro.

Ummm, weird - I have 175+ flights and never updated the batteries - any of the 4 I have in rotation. (At least, I haven't noticed them getting an update).

Good.

The main target of these changes has been the China based users, not the rest of the world.

Although they have explained it badly in the update notes it sounds like it is working as intended.

I used to do a lot of importing from China. The e-mails I received were comedy gold. Things like...

"I look forward to making relations with you. Bring your family to joy, be happiest and live full life!"

It was like some weird ethnic-biz-erotica novel. Hilarious. You gotta just roll with it.

Ummm, weird - I have 175+ flights and never updated the batteries - any of the 4 I have in rotation. (At least, I haven't noticed them getting an update).
Depends since when that is, the last battery update was probably 3-4 months ago or so.

OK so DJI can actually land your craft if you accidentally fly in a NFZ ?? I fly over water a lot and if this is true..I'm done with DJI...I don't want a random take over at anytime of my bird. Please just want the truth...thanks
There have been reports of abnormal situations causing a landing - but it was a bug, not a deliberate behavior. Might have been fixed since as it was a few versions ago.

Just updated everything

DJI Go to 4.1.0

RC and AC to .800

All smooth sailing.. No hitch, no hiccups..

Settings all got resetted, but thats nothing new to me.. My settings always gets resetted for every new FW I updated..
and someone was right (forgot who), the digital zoom wont work in .800
Other than that, everything seems ok so far (touch wood touch wood)

Maybe will test flight tonight.. will post what I think soon.

Digital zoom did work here after the update.

Figured this was much to do about nothing.
Actually the original intent of this post was to explain that the FW update was no big deal by providing test results from my flight. Sadly the thread went the wrong direction.

Nice to hear about your experiences with fw800, anyway
Any precaution for distance test flight? I've always wanted to try it, but am afraid
Like max wind speed condition u'll tolerate
The most important rule, and one you must pay attention to if nothing else: Fly the out leg into to wind. As a noob, do the flight entirely on P mode, even though you won't get as far. This will save your bacon if the MP decides to signal loss or battery RTH.

If you do that, and turn around at 50% battery, you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Yes they eat up more battery but twice the speed, may be mavic will fly further :p
Thanks for the explanations
Will report the distance once im done

Fly Safe, bro

It does but the battery to distance ratio starts to even out beyond 35kph. So you still cover the same distance at 65kph and at 35kph while covering less below that on a battery charge.

Umm, so you are trying to say that if I go max speed at S mode, I should be able to cover just as more in P mode... Hmm... I dunno.. I zoomed around a few times in s mode just for the fun of it and my flight time drops from 19 minutes to 15 minutes.. hmm... Need a real math genius to figure this out.. haha

Question I have, after uploading new firmware some people have complained they can't even take off because of the new NFZ update..Is there any validity to this? If this is true, perhaps they are close to an airport or heliport?
Thanks

Airport and heliport is a sure NFZ.. My skies are clear at my end.. so I can't say its true or not..

I got.. 800 and I am. Flying 1.5 miles away from class D port. Nothing has changed other than having to connect to internet the first time I fly in different spots. A major problem when the tablet I use doesn't have web as it's wifi only. Very very very inconvenient...and that's just to update the nfz zone like I give a ****

Last edited by a moderator:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d