DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting a Mavic Pro as my very first drone.. Advice needed please..

Kmccb

Reactions
So I plan on getting a Mavic and it will be my first drone, ever.. I know that's crazy to drop $1k on my first drone but I'm landed some extra money and always wanted a drone..

Anyone have any advice for me? Must watch videos? Specific things to make sure I practice, etc etc..

I am going to the beach in a few weeks and would love to take it but I'm also not foolish enough to think I'll be a pro and ballsy enough to fly over the ocean..

Thanks for any replies!

Just got the mavic my self about a week ago (first drone for me as well). They did a great job on the mavic making it preatty easy to fly around, I had zero flying experience and after a dozen flights or so I feel some what confident. I did pay for the refresh figuring as my first drone and a good chance I'll end up doing something. I admit if I was next the ocean or even lakes for that matter I'd get the State Farm insurance for peace of mind.
As for videos I went nuts and watched all I could find. Lots about how to get better shots etc.. but honestly I haven't even been filming much still just having fun flying around. For me the best thing has just been stick time. I bet after a dozen flights or so you'd feel ok (hesitant yes) flying over the ocean, I know I'd already do it... yet again though I'd most likely get insurance on it (30-60$).

Drowning. Lol
Seriously though read everything here about flying over water.
Especially stuff like autolanding, turning off Landing Protection etc.
Heaps off good advice to be found.

Most insurance doesn't cover fly aways or unrecoverable drops into the drink.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I mean, I feel like there would be less problems over water due to the sheer openness and direct signal plus LOSight! I've always thought of bodies of water like wide open fields this whole time.

I would suggest:-
  • Don't fly lower than 20 ft unless you are about to land;
  • Before takeoff make sure you have a home point set;
  • Make sure your return to home height is set higher than nearby obstructions;
  • Return to home works great these days to do not worry about using it if you become disoriented;
  • Don't stretch the battery or your confidence, come home before it tells you to come home;
  • If you are at a beach you need a landing pad or an area without dry sand, never take it for granted, a clear area on take off could become the busiest spot on the beach by the time you land, so pick your spot.

Drowning. Lol
Seriously though read everything here about flying over water.
Especially stuff like autolanding, turning off Landing Protection etc.
Heaps off good advice to be found.
I fly over water 95% of the time while I fly, its nothing to be afraid of.

Here's my first ever video and edit done with the Mavic. It makes it super easy and simple tone get a good angle. Plus the thing is a thrill to fly.

My advice is to learn everthing about the Mavic and drone flying in general and know local regulations and nfz's. Watch videos, read and learn from others mistakes. Practice with simulator and in real life.
Pretty broad but just soak in all the information.

Reactions: Oingo Boingo
I cannot agree more with voongnz. Start by reading the manual and learn what the craft can and cannot do - Switch on the unit and the controller and learn about how the unit connects - what the digits on the screen and the app mean - Rehearse the basic settup procedure and the connecting sequence. DO it OVER AND OVER AND OVER. Then take baby steps with the drone - DO manual takeoffs..... fly in a controlled area - Dont be a maverick and just go crazy like some people on the forum does and then two days later post a pic of your crashed drone saying - " IT JUST FELL OUT OF THE SKY !!! " or like many " it just crashed " - Drones dont JUST CRASH.

Go through all of the data before attempting a flight. Learn your craft. I have had 3 other drones in my life and I own 2 other units.... I took 2 weeks just to study the manual... Another 1 before I even tried to take off. And most of all adhere to basic flying rules

I'll have to check with my insurance (American National) if they have anything like State Farm..

Is that in addition to people getting DJI Care Refresh?

Thanks for all the replies!

I'll have to check with my insurance (American National) if they have anything like State Farm..

Is that in addition to people getting DJI Care Refresh?

Thanks for all the replies!

Remember iam very new so do your own research .
I've seen it both ways where people have refresh and State Farm. Or one and not the other. I'll list to my understanding what why... (disclaimer again never used either service and iam new just a forum junky that does a lot of research).

Refresh.
#1 thing I picked up from it you must return the mavic to get replacement / repair. I saw instances where flight log proved it was a error and they replaced even with no physical mavic returned (fly away crash etc).. seems rare.

#2 doesn't effect insurance rates etc using service.

State Farm.
#1 Someone breaks into your car steals it covered, it flys away covered, it sinks 500 feet under the water covered, you crash it into a 1,000 pieces covered.

#2 May or May not effect insurance rates if used for other things (iam I believer it will).

#3 people say if you use it in the first year they drop the coverage fir the mavic. Hence some get both just to use refresh fir first year then have State Farm after and not have it canceled. With the added loss protection if stolen or not recoverable.

I did refresh (I have other State Farm policy's as well) and not State Farm as I think I have a high chance of recovering my wrecked bird in my current environment.....

Blah blah blah.. don't listen to me iam new look for your self

Also as for you original question start in a open area.... but for sure a big open area when you start messing with sport mode, I was shocked at the amount of drift on turns etc in sport mode. I have a huge open area and still had a pucker moment or two.

My area of practice
Hangar 360 Photo

Last edited:
So I plan on getting a Mavic and it will be my first drone, ever.. I know that's crazy to drop $1k on my first drone but I'm landed some extra money and always wanted a drone..

Anyone have any advice for me? Must watch videos? Specific things to make sure I practice, etc etc..

I am going to the beach in a few weeks and would love to take it but I'm also not foolish enough to think I'll be a pro and ballsy enough to fly over the ocean..

Thanks for any replies!
No, that's not crazy!

Thanks for any replies!
Your purchase of a Mavic Pro is not crazy, even if it is your first drone. But, by God, read ALL of the instructions that come with that drone before taking flight. That's a rather expensive purchase and you don't want to send it into its maiden voyage and wind up creaming it! Be patient, and take baby steps. And it wouldn't hurt to study weather dynamics. After all, we fly in weather.

Also as for you original question start in a open area.... but for sure a big open area when you start messing with sport mode, I was shocked at the amount of drift on turns etc in sport mode. I have a huge open area and still had a pucker moment or two.

My area of practice
Hangar 360 Photo

Dude, that photo is sic.. Is that taken from your drone?? How??

Regarding the DJI GO 4 app.. Reviews on the app store say it's horrible.. That they track all your flights.. That it updates the FW to the Drone and has made some unusable.. Any comments on that?

What apps are everyone using? Anyone paying the monthly fee for airdata.com ?

Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99