DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GIVEAWAY: DJI Mavic Hard Case by Freewell Gear

Don't over fly your abilities. Take it slow, read the manuals, watch tutorials, start in beginner mode take your time.

If you're shooting video, reduce your gimal speed and increase its "smoothness". Also experiment with the EXP settings for the controller, reducing the sensitivity of the controls for small stick movements. Proper EXP and gimbal settings give you the ability to pan and tilt slowly and smoothly for a more professional-looking result.

Use it while you can cause the government screws the pooch or taxes the crap out of anything fun.

Reactions: Hexagon
Don't be impatient when arriving at your flying site. It's too easy to switch on and fly without carrying out pre-flight checks. Not carrying out pre-flights are the biggest causes of crashes and incidents.
Check your APP to ensure sensors are on, home point set, RTH altitude higher than surrounding objects, GPS locked, gimbal guard off, compass calibrated, battery 100%, physical check of drone for damage in transit.
So the single tip is "CARRY OUT PRE-FLIGHT CHECKS"

tip one

when you do your very first update Use DJI assistant 2 on a laptop. Make sure the battery is fully charged.

I did mine via the controller/phone when i first took it out of the box. It stuck at 70 percent updated for 30 mins. i had to switch everything off. Doing that actually killed the battery. That battery has never worked since. Lucky i had two others.

tip two.
#
after that first update. Let someone on here do any new ones first if your Mavic is flying fine. DJI have a bad habit of not telling you what goes missing or is added.

The experienced here will have the pro's and cons and a few answers to solve problems before u need to do the update.

Don't forget to turn off the RTH setting when flying indoors. Losing connection between drone and RC could spell disaster otherwise if set your RTH altitude to X meters/feet. Turning off the front sensors may be a good idea but leaving the downward sensors on might be much more important to keep the drone stabilised.

Correct [emoji4]
It's fairly obvious that msinger is a god here and the most experienced helper on this forum and does an excellent job guiding and helping new and distressed pilots. It's through him and another user that I gained so much experience analyzing and understanding DJI flight data, and using that knowledge to help other users that come here on this forum. It's gratifying to be able to assist users in need and to always provide them with possibilities of recovering their lost Mavic.

It's fairly obvious that msinger is a god here and the most experienced helper on this forum and does an excellent job guiding and helping new and distressed pilots. It's through him and another user that I gained so much experience analyzing and understanding DJI flight data, and using that knowledge to help other users that come here on this forum. It's gratifying to be able to assist users in need and to always provide them with possibilities of recovering their lost Mavic.

Now who is a suck[emoji2] but I agree with you, msinger has helped me on more than one occasion

Reactions: Cyberpower678
Get into the habit of putting your SD card back in the Mavic BEFORE you start reviewing recorded vid and pics (after copying them to your laptop). Nothing worse than driving to a stunning location, doing your pre-flight, taking off and having that sudden sinking feeling as you spot a greyed out record button ...

My top tip is: change (lower) your yaw EXP parameter to get smooth, controllable pans, then don't pan much anyway!

Favorite tip:
Don't Panic! Or if you prefer, "keep calm, and drone on!" Lol.

Seriously though, take it slow, if something unexpected happens, release the sticks and think then react.

If you have warranty, worse thing that can go wrong is major hardware failure, in which case 50% of the time a knee-jerk reaction may make it worse. Taking hands off stick ensures no pilot error, and at LEAST ensures warranty coverage. But in most cases save for a catastrophic failure, taking hands off stick will result in a safe hover, you should have at least a couple seconds to think then react calmly. Don't over react with wild stick movements, steady measured movements.

I might be new, but from watching videos of crashes and reading horror stories, aside from the blatantly unavoidable hardware failures, 90% of crashes seem to be pilot error, most of the time someone who panics and reacts without thinking and causes a crash.

Staying calm and in control, is likely the #1 way to save more drones above all else. (IMHO)

Start in Beginner mode! As a newer drone pilot, this really helped me learn the ropes of the Mavic!

My tip is to at least have some sort of insurance.
One never knows when the Mavic could fail and hit someone or something!
Fly safely!

First flight should be during a calm day, in a wide open field with no people or obstacles around.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midlifecrisis77