DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GIVEAWAY: DJI Mavic Hard Case by Freewell Gear

Learn how to check your battery health through the app (tap the battery level) and inspect individual battery cells. Any anomaly in your battery can cause the loss of your drone (at a tenfold cost) and it doesn't take long to get into the habit of checking it during flight.

I have the C1 button set to toggle battery info, so I can do it at a glance.

Last edited:
Reactions: wcsilva
Here's my tip: Always and at all times remember that it is an AIRCRAFT!
Regardless how "cheap" or "easy" you've purchased it ("cheap" compared to other aircraft; "easy" as in online order from the comfort of your couch or just passing by a drone shop and purchasing it in matter of minutes); regardless how small, foldable or portable it is, regardless how many safety & redundancy features it states, regardless how easy and intuitive the manufacturer advertises its handling, regardless how many youtube videos you see about modding it, opening it & repairing it, hand-catching it or dangerously/recklessly/ flying it, regardless of these and many other stuff - it is and remains an aircraft!

You may laugh about it or just stand in awe about the ripoff: true fact is that in my country, whether I am registering a Boeing 747, a F-15 Eagle or a Mavic, the registration fee is the same: 90 (ninety) EURs. Now if this registration fee is not a good reminder that I am the (responsible) owner of an aircraft, then I don't know what else is :D

Apply some common sense and think about what you want to achieve on each flight before take off. So many incidents can be related to just taking off and "winging it", without understanding what may happen as a result of each of your commands

You Are Legally Responsible For The Safe Conduct Of Your Flights
Take time to understand the rules and always check for flight restrictions where you fly.
Failure to comply could lead to Criminal Prosecution.

my favorite DJI Mavic pro tip is:

"Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here."

giphy.gif

Get into the habit of putting your SD card back in the Mavic BEFORE you start reviewing recorded vid and pics (after copying them to your laptop). Nothing worse than driving to a stunning location, doing your pre-flight, taking off and having that sudden sinking feeling as you spot a greyed out record button ...
I've learned to just keep spare sd cards in my bag for this very reason.

My best advice for anyone with a drone is this:
Do everything you can to NOT attract attention.
You avoid complaints, avoid police, avoid interference.
Its like driving, if your car/driving says notice me you will get all the wrong sort of attention.

Absolutely!

Tail in or out is essentially flying towards or away from yourself, which of course reverses controls (flying nose towards you makes left = right and vice versa)

With a quad it's even trickier because it's much harder at a glance to tell which was is the nose (helis have tail rotors of course) and a push of the stick could push you into a tree real quick

I've found that making craft orientation a sixth sense is what really defines a good pilot, but I started way back when cameras weren't practical for r/c aircraft haha

Oh. That. I just mantra "return-reverse-right". Not that it works. My sole "incident" was left sticking when I needed right. Broke a prop and thankfully that's all (was only a foot over the fresh snow...)

The Mavic gives me much better visual cues for orientation than the Phantom 4 Pro I just received. Throw it in Sport mode for extra orientation challenge at a distance.

Reactions: SaloonHoon
Best tip is to run away from this hobby. It will pull you in to a financial whirlpool and always leave you looking to buy more. But it is fun.

Hover about 2m above the ground after takeoff and then set home point, wait roughly 10 seconds. The Mavic will take a photo of the ground so that it can use "Precision Landing" if it needs to RTH.

I think the best advice I can give to a new flyer is to make sure you're on the right side of the law with the FAA... Call your airports and helipads. I'd hate to lose my Mavic Pro or Phantom 4, but I'd hate even more to cause damage to a helicopter taking someone to the hospital or cause damage to an airplane carrying hundreds of people (or one person, for that matter). Aside from hurting people, it would sincerely hurt my pockets to get a fine.

Let me know when you've got that case ready to send out to me and I'll give you my address. ;)

I'm giving away one DJI Mavic hard case by Freewell Gear. For a chance to win, post your favorite DJI Mavic tip below (just one please). I will choose my favorite post on Friday, March 31st and ship the case to the winner for free.

Here's more information about this case:
  • Dimensions: 13 x 12 x 5 inches
  • Weight: 4 lbs 6 oz
  • Contains custom cut slots for the Mavic, remote controller, 2 spare batteries, and 4 accessory slots
  • Watertight
  • Impact-resistant
This is the same case sold by PolarPro, Hobby-Ace, Depstech, Red Rock, and others. The only difference is the "Freewell Gear" label on the top lid of the case. Check out the reviews and additional information here on Amazon.

Here's a video by PolarPro showing this case in action:

Good luck! :)
Remember the control sticks are based on the drone facing forward or away from you. When the drone is facing you the control sticks are reversed.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dond40127