DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPSfailure mavic won't take off

beach_Dr

Reactions
this morning my mavic would not initialize/take off
Running firmware.600, had couple uneventful flights, last yesterday...
This morning try to take off from known location, get SYS ERROR, CHECK APP on remote, app shows cannot take off,with error '[GPS]disconnect please reset and check connection'.
IMU initiates normally, but compass does not initiate, requests calibration. Calibration proceeds normally, but then get same error again. GPS shows no satellites.

Any ideas?

Reactions: Lothman
Did it ask you to calibrate the compass yesterday during any of your uneventful flights? How many satellites do you usually get?

Whenever I try to start my Mav from the back of my car it asks to me calibrate the compass and GPS takes longer to find satellites. If I start it near where my planned home point will be, I never get asked to calibrate, and GPS usually locks in after a minute or two.

Did not callirate yesterday, normally get 13-17 satellites
Was in middle of a riverbed more than 50m from any buildings vehicles or power lines.
Tried again from another take off area about 500m away which I have often used without problem
After compass callibratiothe app pollitely statesATTI MODE and remote states sys error again.

Cycle power to everything including phone. If that persists you'll have to contact support and probably have it repaired.

Have already done that, tried different batteries too...

Have contacted DJI support, will have to wait until tomorrow for reply.

Had previous problem with GPS failing in flight (up to 8 times in 1 min) in beginning march, but that strangely went away, only had single GPS in flight failure end March, been fine since (other than compass redundancy errors occasionally). I think GPS unit probably just given in the towel. So if previous info from dealer accurate, min 6 weeks turnaround time for repair!

Looking at DAT files - seems to be no input/data from GPS at all. So I guess that means droney must go back and get a new GPS... All DAT files less than 20MB - didn't take off.

Dropbox - FLY088.DAT
Dropbox - FLY091.DAT

Maybe try rolling back to a previous firmware version? Just an idea before mailing it into the great abyss of CS.

Reactions: Former Member
So as a last resort have popped open top to make sure the cable from GPS/compass hasn't wiggled loose. It hasn't...

So Friday I'll drop it off at repair centre - can't get there earlier in week, 2 hour drive...

I assume this is just a progression of earlier GPS errors I've had - mainly in sport mode (GPS and compass failure in Sport mode) although has been well behaved recently. Hopefully it can be fixed without needing to be returned to DJI China.

Looking at DAT files - seems to be no input/data from GPS at all. So I guess that means droney must go back and get a new GPS... All DAT files less than 20MB - didn't take off.

Dropbox - FLY088.DAT
Dropbox - FLY091.DAT

Looked at the Log and your right, it seems like the Module is dead or intermittent. You could send the Mavic to ThunderDrones and see if he could replace the module. That would certainly be a lot faster than dealing with DJI and the part you need is not an expensive part.

Rob

Looked at the Log and your right, it seems like the Module is dead or intermittent. You could send the Mavic to ThunderDrones and see if he could replace the module. That would certainly be a lot faster than dealing with DJI and the part you need is not an expensive part.

Rob

Thanks for that! But I think he's in S. Africa...

Reactions: Robbyg
Nothing new except the stainless steel fishing lure release mechanism that clips over the rear body... ;)

No unfortunately have not installed anything new. And although I'm sure thunderdrones has excellent service it would probably cost a fair amount to ship it across the Atlantic for a repair... how much to post a new part?

Hopefully local repair Centre can fix it without having to send it away for the inevitable refurb exchange.

And although I'm sure thunderdrones has excellent service it would probably cost a fair amount to ship it across the Atlantic for a repair... how much to post a new part?

$59usd shipped to S. Africa for the GPS module. If you local dealer doesnt have the part, let me know and I can send it to you. Replacing the GPS module would be one place to start since you already made sure your connector to the main board was locked in.

GPS module.jpg

Have head back from DJI customer support, always very polite on their end, they requested a screen shot of compass health page (didn't even know there was a compass health page) which shows compass 1 disconnected. So will hopefully have further feedback from them later today. Or tomorrow. Depending on where our time zones meet up.

IMG_5071.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi