DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hobby drone pilots and flying around people?

Chops

Reactions
Hi!
I'm a hobby Mavic flier.

I haven't done much flying partly because of lack of time - but also partly because of the difficulty in trying to find the right situation to make sure that I am compliant with all the rules I am reading.

I understand that many of these regulations are directed towards commercial drone operators but guidelines around hobby fliers are vague at best.

I've been trying to do my research on what is allowed/not allowed when it comes to flying near people.

I understand that flying directly over large crowds (as in sports stadiums) is a big no-no, but what about your group of friends? Or friends of friends (in parties, for example, or out in a ski trip or hike).

How far away is flying overhead safe or allowed? Would flying 100 feet up and 30 feet to the side (for example) be acceptable?
What about 20 feet?
What are the limits?
When is one considered "flying over" a person?
Is this even a "law" for hobbyists or just for commercial fliers? (The FAA lists this under "Safety" guidance - but what does that mean? Is it required or just "advice"? I'm not one to knowingly expose people to danger, but it's still god to know what is "law" and what is advice.)

Part of the allure of flying Mavics is the ability to take photos/videos of people (and activities) from a different angle.
Not everyone is a landscape photographer - and I am sure I am not alone with these questions/concerns.

(Thanks in advance to the group as this forum has been very informative. But I also did my search and did not find my answers.)

I think those are good and reasonable questions that you probably will not find definitive answers to. For now I think it is mostly down to using common sense and trying to think through worst case scenarios of your decisions. Personally I try to avoid flying in situations where it might cause a person below to be uncomfortable with it. Talk to neighbors and others before the flight so that they are aware of what you are doing and not doing. I try to not do flying that could cause problems for other drone owners due to my own bad choices.

Thanks for the response - and I agree that using common sense is important.
It's just sometimes what seems to be common sense is not so common, if you know what I mean. There may be situations where I would think I am flying responsibly but another looking from the outside may think otherwise.
I just wish someone will lay down the limits before the FAA or another governing body sees a video I shared and tell me in a not-so-friendly way where the limits truly are. (or am I overly concerned?)
I will take your advise and try to think through the scenario before pushing the stick up.

It's just sometimes what seems to be common sense is not so common, if you know what I mean. There may be situations where I would think I am flying responsibly but another looking from the outside may think otherwise.
I just wish someone will lay down the limits before the FAA or another governing body sees a video I shared and tell me in a not-so-friendly way where the limits truly are. (or am I overly concerned?)
I will take your advise and try to think through the scenario before pushing the stick up.

Mate, I don't think you will find the answer. It just is...

As you've concluded, it is your call to assume the risks and liabilities.

Have fun. Be safe. Don't get caught (joke). Don't post anything online questionable (ahem). ;-)

You can't put everything down in black and white because different situations will always call for judgement on your part.

In general, over means over - ie. 1ft to the side of something is not "over" it, but is it sensible? Probably not. When flying almost over people you should also consider the wind, since if you're downwind of the person you're safer in the event of a prop or motor failure as the drone will be pushed clear as it descends.

Flying over groups of people who are involved, so your friends etc is obviously different than people who aren't involved, since they've accepted the (small) degree of risk involved and know the drone is there.

In short, don't worry too much about the letter of the law - it sounds like you have the right attitude which is to think before you do something and fly conservatively so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Check out the video in the following thread - could be a case study for some of your questions. The guy gets interrupted by security for H.O.A. about 3.5 minutes into the video..............

Is this guy for real ?

Thanks for the responses, guys!
Even if there in nothing clearly written, it helps to see the mindset of pilots on the same boat.
Certainly helps to frame one's thoughts/attitude going forward with each flight.
Also nice to know that I am not missing anything posted somewhere despite my initial search.

Reactions: Cutaway
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661