DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

hover not steady at night in GPS mode

crispy

Reactions
hello everyone

ive been trying to do some night shots in my back yard, but my mavic does not want to stay in one spot while hovering, all while in GPS mode. no issues during the day though.

is anyone else having the same issue? from all the really nice night shots ive seen on this forum, im thinking theres an issue with my mavic.....maybe

any thoughts?

IMG_3135.JPG.jpeg

Hover won't be as steady at night due to VPS not being able to see the ground.

i was thinking the same thing Big Fil, but i was in GPS mode and it was still all over the place. i have a yuneec typhoon and a 3dr solo that hovers better(GPS mode), and they dont have VPS. my old Naza M v2 hovers better too

so the mavics rock steadiness is solely depended on the VPS?

The Mavic isn't great with it's VPS off. If you want good night shots it has to be a VERY still night, and you have to be quite high so that the movement isn't too noticeable on the long exposures.

Reactions: Former Member
VPS only works to a certain height... 43' or 50', I forget. So once you go higher than that VPS doesn't affect it.
i know the pic i posted only shows 4ft in height, but i started the hover around 10'. i guess with enough sats to enable GPS mode, i was hoping for a more solid hover(not 4'-10') like my other quads.

i know the pic i posted only shows 4ft in height, but i started the hover around 10'. i guess with enough sats to enable GPS mode, i was hoping for a more solid hover(not 4'-10') like my other quads.
Sorry, didn't notice the numbers in the pic. Either way, just like you, it cannot see in the dark, so for VPS to be effective it must be able to "see" the surface below it.
Just curious, why would you be taking time-lapse pics at 4' and not use a regular camera on a tripod? Or just set the quad on a table?

Sorry, didn't notice the numbers in the pic. Either way, just like you, it cannot see in the dark, so for VPS to be effective it must be able to "see" the surface below it.
Just curious, why would you be taking time-lapse pics at 4' and not use a regular camera on a tripod? Or just set the quad on a table?

So what does GPS mode offer if the craft is so dependent on VPS?

I originally started off around 10-12ft. I took the pic when it was that low to show how much movement it does at hover, at night.

I originally started off around 10-12ft. I took the pic when it was that low to show how much movement it does at hover, at night.
GPS mode allows it to follow a programmed route and allows it the fly semi autonomously, as well as your RTH function.

GPS is your main stabilization. I would suspect you are seeing it (the variations, it's not perfect), that in the daylight are still there but harder to see. Try a daytime time-lapse to compare.
Also, if you don't think the GPS is doing much try flying in ATTI some time (Phantom or other quad as ATTI is not switchable on the Mavic), with no GPS stabilization. I think you will be surprised at how GPS makes these quads fly soo easily. If the GPS hold was not on them, most would abandon the hobby quickly.

I did this too. I was also been told that its because downward vision does not work well in night or dim areas. I haven't tried but I guess try turning the downward sensors off. Here is my video of trying to hover at night

Reactions: crispy
I did this too. I was also been told that its because downward vision does not work well in night or dim areas. I haven't tried but I guess try turning the downward sensors off. Here is my video of trying to hover at night
thats exactly how mine is. i guess i just dont understand how a Yuneec Typhoon, 3dr Solo and an older Naza M v2 can hover just fine in GPS mode(and without VPS) but the Mavic cant, at night.

oh well, glad im not the only one lol

For those flying at night. It would be very interesting to see what effect shining a bright torch at the ground below the Mavic makes to the hovering abilities.

Reactions: crispy
Jcarloacsay any update on turning off settings? I tried my first flight at night and it was drifting pretty bad with out my hands on the controller and had a little crash.

For those flying at night. It would be very interesting to see what effect shining a bright torch at the ground below the Mavic makes to the hovering abilities.

I fly at night regularly and setup a landing pad next to my workshop with a 500watt flood light over it. This solved all the unwanted behavior and RTH precision auto landing now works well. I did have to disable landing ground protection, it was pretty finicky at night and wouldn't auto land with it enabled. Without the flood light, the mavic gets a mind of its own and you have to be very careful at low altitudes. Attached is a picture of it in the daytime, I will try to find a night picture of this with lights on.

drone-range-test-32.png

Reactions: BlakPhoenix
Here is the night view. Once you light up your landing area, you are good to go without the erratic low altitude behavior.

drone-range-test-60.png drone-range-test-61.png drone-range-test-62.png drone-range-test-63.png

hello everyone

ive been trying to do some night shots in my back yard, but my mavic does not want to stay in one spot while hovering, all while in GPS mode. no issues during the day though.

is anyone else having the same issue? from all the really nice night shots ive seen on this forum, im thinking theres an issue with my mavic.....maybe

any thoughts?

View attachment 13011
I have the same problem with the mavic but my P4 is rock solid at night and does not drift much at all. Makes me wonder! The mavic is all over the place, as if the GPS is faulty but in day time it does fine. I guess it is just one of those things!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi