DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How does everyone transfer their videos to their computers?

I'm having to plug my Mavic into the PC at the moment which is a pain, just ordered a new Lexar 64gb with the standard adapter so that should make things a little easier. Was meant to be here last Thursday but no sign as yet :( I use premiere to edit - the hardest part I found with getting the card out was actually opening the little door, man that thing was stuck tight

Yea, just realized I wasn't letting it "spring" out enough.. I did it just now and hurried up and moved and it popped all the way out..

Now another question is.. What is everyone's specs to play these files on their computers?

My specs are solid (listed below) but the sumbitch cannot play them smoothly.. Frustrating.. I did have a good video card in this laptop but it crapped the bed and I had to go back to the onboard GPU.. It's not CPU or memory.. I think it may be disk i/o but that's where I'm puzzled.. I copied the .mov file to my SSD and it still studders.. It's only doing reads I don't think it's disk I/O either so I'm really puzzled..
I have a Surface Pro 3 with 8gb and a i5 processor. I consider it slow for editing tasks and yet when I played my video today using Quicktime it was smooth as glass - and that's on my external Apple Cinema monitor which is slower than the Surface display. So something isn't right - I'd never hold the Surface Pro 3 up as a powerhouse.

Just to be clear. You DO know that you don't "PULL" the Micro SD Card out, right? You have to first "PUSH" it in, and then it pops out all by itself.

If you're having to use needle Nose pliers, then it sounds like you're not "PUSHING" on the card first.

Just asking, because I've heard of this before.

Bud

I find it to be a royal PITA to pop the microsd card out.. It is so hard for me to pull out.. Like I need a set of needle nose or something..

Then to put it in the SD Card, then pop it in..

Thinking of at least getting a USB 3.0 microsd card reader but still have to take it out which is the real hard part..

Anyone else have this issue?

I know that the op just asked one simple question and the answer is?
USB cable from Mavic to PC or MAC.
I have only taken out my SD 16G on the Mav only to replace it with a 64G.
All transfers have been by cable. USB 3 currently. I have no need to remove the card at this time for transfer of files. It just like plugging in your phone to charge. I think nothing of it. As normal, the Mav shows up as a drive when turned on and connected to your CPU. At least for me anyway.

Not sure why people are formatting their Micro SD when reinserting in Mavic? I simply MOVE the files from card to PC and reinsert card. I can see that once in a while reformatting it might be needed, but not every time, surely?

Not sure why people are formatting their Micro SD when reinserting in Mavic? I simply MOVE the files from card to PC and reinsert card. I can see that once in a while reformatting it might be needed, but not every time, surely?
That is just a practice of DJI Drones and their cameras.
I always check to be sure in the Go App.
Usually it will tell you if you need to format or not.
But just in case, I take no chances and format before lift off.

Just to be clear. You DO know that you don't "PULL" the Micro SD Card out, right? You have to first "PUSH" it in, and then it pops out all by itself.

If you're having to use needle Nose pliers, then it sounds like you're not "PUSHING" on the card first.

Just asking, because I've heard of this before.

Bud
LOL.. Yes, I know it's a push then eject thing..

I got it now.. My GoPro is actually more of a PITA to get it out then the MP.. The GoPro is the same thing but the spring doesn't shoot it far enough out and I have to use my nail to repeatedly try and get that lip to pull it out..

I've had better luck with the MP now that I just push and move quickly and it seems to shoot out far enough..

LOL.. Yes, I know it's a push then eject thing..

I got it now.. My GoPro is actually more of a PITA to get it out then the MP.. The GoPro is the same thing but the spring doesn't shoot it far enough out and I have to use my nail to repeatedly try and get that lip to pull it out..

I've had better luck with the MP now that I just push and move quickly and it seems to shoot out far enough..
Oh! I like the pop out thing. The chip flys out and your at dismay trying to find it, only to search the vacuum bag and find it in there. Lol.:D

No probs, as above.

I always format after copying and backing up too.

Is there any way to tell the mavic to keep continuous numbering of the files? It is a real pain managing the files for a project when it starts from 0001 everytime.

All of my stills cameras allow continouous numbering, even after formatting.

It easy to set up continuous numbering of your files on the micro SD card. You can do this in the general settings in the DJI Go4 app under the camera setup options

Last edited:
Ive never been prompted to format my SD card but even so I did one time. As mentioned earlier plugging the USB directly into the PC is the simplest way but since my old PC does not have USB 3.0 putting the card into my on board card reader is the faster transferring option for me. I am a little surprised that the Mavic does not have USB 3.0 out since it is such a technologically advanced piece of hardware.

Why remove the card at all...and risk having it fly across the room into your bowl of cereal??
Simply leave the card in and connect the Mavic itself using the mini USB port on the left side of the bird. Your computer will see the Mavic the same as any external storage device. You can then move, store,delete, watch vids etc. Make sure Mavic is ON while doing this.

Yea, just realized I wasn't letting it "spring" out enough.. I did it just now and hurried up and moved and it popped all the way out..

Now another question is.. What is everyone's specs to play these files on their computers?

My specs are solid (listed below) but the sumbitch cannot play them smoothly.. Frustrating.. I did have a good video card in this laptop but it crapped the bed and I had to go back to the onboard GPU.. It's not CPU or memory.. I think it may be disk i/o but that's where I'm puzzled.. I copied the .mov file to my SSD and it still studders.. It's only doing reads I don't think it's disk I/O either so I'm really puzzled..

Dell Precision M6600 / Windows 8.1
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Graphics Adapter Description Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
SSD for OS
5200 RPM for Data

SSD Results:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 5.2.1 x64 (C) 2007-2017 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : Crystal Dew World
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 483.035 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 146.677 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 93.173 MB/s [ 22747.3 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 97.015 MB/s [ 23685.3 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) : 383.111 MB/s
Sequential Write (T= 1) : 130.648 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 12.380 MB/s [ 3022.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 51.826 MB/s [ 12652.8 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [C: 76.0% (84.7/111.4 GiB)] (x5) [Interval=5 sec]
Date : 2017/06/08 21:52:30

Are you storing your video files on an external drive or secondary internal drive? If not it may be why the video is choppy on playback.

I also take the micro SD card and put it in a SD card adaptor, came with the card, and then plug that into my card reader. Micros are fragile and the adaptor means less chance of bending the micro while inserting. I broke a micro SD putting it into the card reader once. No issues though when using the SD card adaptor...

I also prefer to remove the SD card and transfer via a reader.

If you use the on-board micro usb socket the Mavic has to be powered on during trasfer. The Mavic gets hot with no air flow over the heat sink and you need to run your battery down too (admittedly not much with the props off). The less recharge cycled the better.

Reactions: holdthefone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet