DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to rollback Mavic firmware

But I do have 305&306 from .700. I started with stock .700 and applied 1.4.0000 with 305&306 removed.

I'm not sure that's how a firmware upgrade/downgrade works with DJI drones (though honestly, I don't know for sure). Did you back up your current firmware and confirm that 305 and 306 modules from .700 were still there? I'm not sure if a firmware upgrade only overwrites existing modules or rewrites the whole thing at once, but I suspect that it overwrites everything if it's changing versions.

I did the exact same thing you did - went from stock .700 to modded 1.4.000. To test out what it was actually doing, I just did a backup with DUMBLdore and lo and behold - no 305 or 306 modules were present. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll try to reflash everything with a mixed version 1.4.000.

Have you tried "mix-and-match"ing modules? You can delete 305 and 306 from 1.4.000 and add in the same modules from .700, then flash with that. That's what I'm going to try. If I get a chance, I'll report back with the results and see if it fixes the RTH behavior.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I just did a backup with DUMBLdore and lo and behold - no 305 or 306 modules were present

Fascinating. I guess mine is the same and it explains why RTH isn't working.

Have you tried "mix-and-match"ing modules? You can delete 305 and 306 from 1.4.000 and add in the same modules from .700, then flash with that. That's what I'm going to try. If I get a chance, I'll report back with the results and see if it fixes the RTH behavior.

No, I haven't tried that. I tried removing 305&306 myself by opening .bin in 7zip, but when I try to delete them, it says "Error deleting file or folder... Not implemented". How do you do this?

Fascinating. I guess mine is the same and it explains why RTH isn't working.

We'll see. I'll field test tomorrow.

I tried removing 305&306 myself by opening .bin in 7zip, but when I try to delete them, it says "Error deleting file or folder... Not implemented". How do you do this?

Make sure your .bin file is not "read only". I open in 7zip by right-clicking on the .bin file in Windows and going to 7zip context menu and "open with". File opens in 7zip. I highlight each module, hit delete, and that's it. If you look at the "mode" column of each module, it should show read-write privileges.

Another way is to extract the .bin file to a folder with 7zip, delete the modules, add the ones from .700, and then create an archive with 7zip as a ".tar" file with all the modules, then rename it back to .bin after it is compressed.

I flashed with the newer modded 1.4.000 (with 305 and 306 from .700) and it proceeded without issue. It should take <5 minutes, since you're only really flashing 305 & 306, as all the others are the same. I backed up the FW with DUMBLdore afterwards and confirmed it had both additional modules.

This .700 I've got is from flyflydrone.com, 7zip shows message "Errors: unexpected end of data" if I click on "i" icon in it. And it's not readonly, but won't let me delete the modules. "User" column is empty, "Group" is "users". I'll try extracting and compressing as you described.

This .700 I've got is from flyflydrone.com, 7zip shows message "Errors: unexpected end of data" if I click on "i" icon in it. And it's not readonly, but won't let me delete the modules. "User" column is empty, "Group" is "users". I'll try extracting and compressing as you described.
Is it s bad download? Download again and try again.

This works and to add further, if you first back up your .700 with Dumldore then open that back up file with 7zip in one window on PC. Then open the new firmware using 7zip in another window you can just copy your 305 & 306 folders in to it and then when you flash the modified firmware all you params will still be in the new flash on your AC.

Another way is to extract the .bin file to a folder with 7zip, delete the modules, add the ones from .700
Putting the old files is useless, they won't be used anyway. The device will only flash what is in its version description (the cfg file) if present and ignore anything else.

Did you back up your current firmware and confirm that 305 and 306 modules from .700 were still there?
They won't be and it's normal.

Putting the old files is useless, they won't be used anyway. The device will only flash what is in its version description (the cfg file) if present and ignore anything else.

They won't be and it's normal.
I think your reply is misleading. If you remove the 306 & 306 folders from the latest firmware and then flash it to your AC you will end up with the latest firmware but your old 305 & 306 folders will still be left behind.

If you copy your current 305 & 306 folders in to the new firmware then they will be flashed and you will retain those settings but in the new firmware.

No they wont as they aren't listed in the config file
They will be in the backup folder but won't be flashed onto the aircraft

Backup folder just shows the last files transmitted to the aircraft to be loaded not what's actually installed on the aircraft, look at a new aircraft from factory, it has the RC and goggle fw in the backup folder

for versions installed you can go to the assistant 2 log files as listed in a previous post which list all the module versions

Last edited:
Reactions: Kilrah
Did you try rolling the FW back on the white MP?

There are still plenty of "new" MPs from big box dealers, all with older firmware. Sam's Club and Costco are selling them. I would think most of the ones from Best Buy are still older stock.

Yeah tried to rollback the the firmware but it was a no go. I'll be returning it to the Apple Store today, then I might swing by Cosco's.

No, I haven't tried that. I tried removing 305&306 myself by opening .bin in 7zip, but when I try to delete them, it says "Error deleting file or folder... Not implemented". How do you do this?

Some (but not all) of the bins available on the Github were compressed in the way 7zip considers incorrect - if you tell 7zip to extract them, it does so, but throws the "Unexpected end of data" warning (examples - 01.03.0700 01.03.0900 Mavic AC bins). On those files the "delete without extracting" feature won't work.

Other bins are OK (like 01.04.0000) - they can either be extracted without warning or edited by 7zip.

However, there is nothing wrong with extracting, deleting FW modules you find unnecessary, and then packing the files with 7zip as .tar archive with .bin extension (make sure you pack the files, but not the folder itself - I'm pretty sure the updater script on the drone won't work with extra subfolder).

I personally tried the approach above and DUMLDored the drone to 01.04.0000 sans 905 and with 305&306 modules from 01.03.0700

What's the benefit of mixing modules? To make the app recognize the firmware to be updated / in order to use newer versions of Go?

Reactions: SkyNinja
What's the benefit of mixing modules? To make the app recognize the firmware to be updated / in order to use newer versions of Go?

app sees newest version so doesn't ask to update & new flight modes available

Fc old version which allows parameters to be changed, new fw they are locked

Reactions: HSK
Also backup doesn't backup parameters
Then how did it work on my Mavic for me? I backed up .700 extracted 305 & 306 folders from the assistance 2 / Dumbledore back up file and then deleted the same folders from latest firmware and replaced with .700 folders, then flashed to my Mavic.

Result was latest firmware with my original modified parameters still in tact.

As said, putting 700 files in latest did nothing at all.
The only thing that matters is to remove the files you do NOT want changed, which is what's documented everywhere.

Of course your parameters were intact since you didn't reflash the FC.

Reactions: Haloweenhamster

That's easily rectified by editing the .cfg file. You can easily open it in any text editor and change the name and file size to match the added modules. Or you can change the name of the module and just edit the file size. Works either way. You can even delete the missing modules to save the flash process some effort.

Backup folder just shows the last files transmitted to the aircraft to be loaded not what's actually installed on the aircraft, look at a new aircraft from factory, it has the RC and goggle fw in the backup folder

I don't get this. You're saying that if I create a backup with DUMBLDore, that the backup firmware file won't backup all the modules on the craft, only what I just uploaded to the Mavic? That doesn't make sense to me. If you've never flashed your FW and if you connect to a new Mavic, you're saying that the backup file won't contain anything? What's the point of that? And why was the person that was trying to backup his firmware before he even touched his Mavic (in this thread) having a hard time downloading all the modules without it timing out? Maybe I just don't understand what you're saying here.

If you've never flashed your FW and if you connect to a new Mavic, you're saying that the backup file won't contain anything?
The opposite dji put the mavic, RC & goggles fw on it so if you backup it has all 3 that's why it timed out, the goggles fw took to long to copy

The backup doesn't access every module, clone the data and package it, it only copies the backup which is the last fw loaded to it

It's designed for official updates so if you only load 1 module say the camera and the mavic detects an error in say the esc then it'll go into a reboot loop as it won't have a backup to load

That's easily rectified by editing the .cfg file. You can easily open it in any text editor and change the name and file size to match the added modules. Or you can change the name of the module and just edit the file size. Works either way. You can even delete the missing modules to save the flash process some effort.

Editing a single bit in a digitally signed cfg file changes the checksum and invalidates the signature, rendering it useless.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre