DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hudson Valley New York

state farm offers full coverage insurance, i pay 60 for the yr, 0 deductable and will replace if lost or crashed, i have a mavik pro and 2 phantom 3's on it, and my apple ipad mini 4 and all support equiptment, feel free to contact me if you wan
Good to know. Who’s the agent?
I heard some don’t want to do a drone policy.
I’m willing to drive to the office and show the drone to the agent if he feels more comfortable that way. $60 is a deal. DJI makes you send the old drone back for their coverage. Not possible if you crash it into the Hudson.

Good to know. Who’s the agent?
I heard some don’t want to do a drone policy.
I’m willing to drive to the office and show the drone to the agent if he feels more comfortable that way. $60 is a deal. DJI makes you send the old drone back for their coverage. Not possible if you crash it into the Hudson.

hi there
you can call or stop in,here is the info,mention john as a referral :").besides my drones i have my nd filters,tab holder,all batteries,ipad mini 4 etc, everything on it, its called the personal articles policy

Screenshot_20180624-080728.png

Reactions: Slim.slamma
I checked with Airmap and B4UFly at the bottom of the trail and it seemed that Anthony's Nose was notification needed, but in a fly-zone. Has anyone flown from the top of the trail? Beautiful view of the bridge below and the Hudson stretching out in both directions.

Just got the Mav Air a week ago. Went to Donohue memorial park in Cornwall was great. I'm from Town of Newburgh.

Great Thread!

My gf lives in Peekskill and I'm looking for places around there and really anywhere to fly.

This looks like a great place to fly. There seems to be a heliport in the area. I'll try to call them and see how that goes!

Reactions: nadtwins
from Tillson lake yesterday in Gardiner ny and the Esopus Meadows Lighthouse,im flying my mavic pros,nephew had his p4 there in last pic
quick youtube vid from lighthouse and tillson lake

Attachments

• DJI_0133.JPG
    DJI_0133.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 13
  • DJI_0134.JPG
    DJI_0134.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 14
  • DJI_0135.JPG
    DJI_0135.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 15
  • DJI_0137.JPG
    DJI_0137.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 15
  • DJI_0138.JPG
    DJI_0138.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
  • DJI_0139.JPG
    DJI_0139.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 15
  • DJI_0140.JPG
    DJI_0140.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 15
  • DJI_0141.JPG
    DJI_0141.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 16
  • DJI_0143.JPG
    DJI_0143.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 18
  • DJI_0145.JPG
    DJI_0145.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 17
Reactions: Crocket1158
find Bannerman's Castle on Google maps, look just south of the island on the shore and you'll find a train "station"- (it's really just a set of stairs and a small platform) called, "Breakneck Ridge". To get to the southbound platform, you need to go over a pedestrian bridge. To get to that bridge, you need to walk up an unpaved trail from Route 9D. Don't actually cross the bridge, keep going up the trail and you'll quickly come to an observation deck overlooking the island! There's even a sign that gives you a history of the island. I was shocked when I came to this - and it was empty empty empty. Completely private place to launch and fly from

direction credit goes to gjmphoto

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpilot
I'm going there today and tomorrow with my air and p4pv2
I'd love to see yours!

Word of warning:
I started to drop down closer to the island to get closer shots of the buildings. I was on the far side of the castle, lowering down to the dock on the back side when I got attacked by a bird. My gimbal jumped and then I saw something that looked like a finger come across my view (at 100', I knew it wasn't a finger!). So I went straight up as quickly as possible and the RTH'd. The MPP was fine, but I did find a feather stuck in the gimbal assembly.

I tell you this in case the reason I got attacked was a nest over by the dock. If you're going to fly low there, beware just in case that's what was going on.

- Gary

Since you guys are locals...where else have you found interesting things to fly around?

For me, it's been a lot of TappanZee bridge, Sleepy Hollow Lighthouse, and Tarrytown Reservoir. Here are some of the shots of those places:

DJI_0095-r.jpgTZB1.jpg

Attachments

• DJI_0097-r.jpg
    DJI_0097-r.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 19
  • DJI_0105-m.jpg
    DJI_0105-m.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
they are some good pics gjmphoto, im gonna try for tommorrow to do a run, im thinking stay about 150 feet up to avoid any birds you mentioned
I can't promise you that the problem was really a nest...I'm just surmising that it could have been. If that's the case, then just stay away from the back dock. There are plenty of great places to drop down and shoot close. Do it on the south side of the island and you will have VLOS from the platform. I plan to go back and do that - I just lost my nerve immediately after the attack, knew I had good shots and video already, and just figured I wouldn't push my luck at that moment. Don't hold yourself back.

Reactions: johnsctt78
some areas that are good Esopus meadows lighthouse off river road heading towards port ewen,44-55 at base of minniwaski,ollie park in walden,the moodna viaduct south of new windsor,highland waterfront park for some real closeup vids of passing cargo ships,high falls waterfall just outside of rosendale,there are others toox
x
highland waterfront:
ollie park walden:
moodna viaduct vid is not retouched yet :

Last edited:
Reactions: FT212 and gjmphoto
I can't promise you that the problem was really a nest...I'm just surmising that it could have been. If that's the case, then just stay away from the back dock. There are plenty of great places to drop down and shoot close. Do it on the south side of the island and you will have VLOS from the platform. I plan to go back and do that - I just lost my nerve immediately after the attack, knew I had good shots and video already, and just figured I wouldn't push my luck at that moment. Don't hold yourself back.
when i was filming the wallkill river last fall i had a flock of canadian geese fly right thru me,but they did not hit me,ill find the footage and post it,one thing i do use is anti collision strobes,red,green,white on the aircraft same as full scale,maybe that kept them off the mavic pro,but they were within 2 feet of my mav

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_