DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I swallowed my pride and got an iPad.

When it comes to phones I'm a Samsung Galaxy devotee. I generally dislike Apple and their business practices, but I have to admit, I do prefer the iPad to other tablets, and it's usually what I use for flying.
Me as well. The problem with both, however, is the next greater version comes out way too soon. My Note 8 was still weaning from the package when the Note 9 debuted. Apple, does not seem to really have major improvements other than a slightly larger size to match Samsung. Personally, I think they should stick just to iPad and macs.
On the sad note . . . The President of S. Korea now wants the Chairman of Samsung to build a complete Samsung factory in N.Korea to help boost the N. Korea economy. The S. Korea President is very sympathizing to the North. He still has family in NK and is shutting down communications in the south that broadcast negative material about the NK regime. So, get your new Samsung now.
PS. Samsung makes a lot of the guts for Apple phones as well. That is one of the reasons why some years ago when Apple sued Samsung, they kept the damage money low knowing Samsung would increase the Apple costs. Strange how they work with each other to work against each other.

Me as well. The problem with both, however, is the next greater version comes out way too soon. My Note 8 was still weaning from the package when the Note 9 debuted. Apple, does not seem to really have major improvements other than a slightly larger size to match Samsung. Personally, I think they should stick just to iPad and macs.
On the sad note . . . The President of S. Korea now wants the Chairman of Samsung to build a complete Samsung factory in N.Korea to help boost the N. Korea economy. The S. Korea President is very sympathizing to the North. He still has family in NK and is shutting down communications in the south that broadcast negative material about the NK regime. So, get your new Samsung now.
PS. Samsung makes a lot of the guts for Apple phones as well. That is one of the reasons why some years ago when Apple sued Samsung, they kept the damage money low knowing Samsung would increase the Apple costs. Strange how they work with each other to work against each other.
Samsung makes the "guts" for a LOT of consumer electronics. Not just phones and tablets. You can find at least ONE Samsung chip in just about anything electronic.
I think Apple and other phone manufacturers all try to better each other at every opportunity. Apple makes about the same improvements as anyone else about as often or more.
I got the iphone 7 plus almost 2 years ago. There has been 8's and a few new x's since then.
I also have a S7 edge from two years ago. There has been S8's and now they are on S9's? So just about the same advances by both. Samsung will move to NK if they can, It is the only way for them to get children that will work for less than they do in SK. :D

Samsung makes the "guts" for a LOT of consumer electronics. Not just phones and tablets. You can find at least ONE Samsung chip in just about anything electronic.
I think Apple and other phone manufacturers all try to better each other at every opportunity. Apple makes about the same improvements as anyone else about as often or more.
I got the iphone 7 plus almost 2 years ago. There has been 8's and a few new x's since then.
I also have a S7 edge from two years ago. There has been S8's and now they are on S9's? So just about the same advances by both. Samsung will move to NK if they can, It is the only way for them to get children that will work for less than they do in SK. :D
The Samsung chairman was in prison for kickback to the previous SK president. However, it was actually the owner who is far too old to put in prison, so they put the younger chairman in prison. Then they let him out early. Now they want to put him back if he does not build in NK. SK government is even more corrupt than US. Maybe another Samsung factory could help keep the cost down? Who knows. There is a lot more going on in the electronics market in Korea, that it is possible all the chips in the future very well may be stamped in China entirely.

Reactions: drrjv
So 450 nits is apparently every bit as good as 1000 nits?

My iPad Pro is 600 nits, not 450, and with a shade is more than sufficient. It also has a bigger screen than the CS, cost hundreds of dollars less and as a full-featured tablet is functional for a lot of other tasks, including editing 4k video.

A CS is great if you're a professional making a living flying your drone, but it's an awfully big investment for a dedicated device.

Both companies release their next generations at one-year intervals. You can almost set your clocks by them. And if they're not " major improvements" you don't need to worry about buying the latest and greatest. I made my Galaxy S5 and iPad Air each last more than four years before updating.

I feel your pain as I dislike all things Apple, but I have 3 ipad mini2 units for my drones and gave up on androids. the ipads work the best and stay connected where the androids never like to have litchi and djigo installed. I always ended up removing the go app so I could run litchi which is all I use except for when I have to do some deep changes to the drone that can't be done on litchi.

Reactions: drrjv
I feel your pain as I dislike all things Apple, but I have 3 ipad mini2 units for my drones and gave up on androids. the ipads work the best and stay connected where the androids never like to have litchi and djigo installed. I always ended up removing the go app so I could run litchi which is all I use except for when I have to do some deep changes to the drone that can't be done on litchi.
Substandard tablets might have been responsible for your issue but Android wasn't your problem.
If you have good Android tablets, DJI Go runs perfectly.
Having Go and Litchi installed on the same tablet makes no difference.
Running them at the same time might though.

I moved to galaxy s phones back when they become available (swapped from iPhone 2 or 3 I think)
Then had a few galaxy tabs and was happy until I got an iPad Pro. Now I use iPads for tablets and Samsung for phone (although currently looking at getting a pixel)
Apart from my crystalsky, which is of course on Android.
I have a new pixel 3XL phone. Not sure about the tablet but the pixel phone does not work out of the box with mavic Pro/DJI go4. It continually disconnects. I'm getting ready to purchase an Apple tablet as a result. My Samsung S7 phone worked flawlessly with the DJI app for 2 years. But the phone was outdated and I needed to upgrade. Love the pixel phone for other things but definitely not reliable with DJI Go app.
I'm not a fan of Apple, but I'm less a fan of losing my mavic.

I'm an Android that uses an iPad for flying too. I have tried iPhones and they just don't work for me the way an Android does. However, I'v never used my phone for flying. Too small. I have always used a full size iPad and am currently using the 10 inch Pro. You can really see everything well and the video is smooth with no problems. The only "problem" is the mounting. I bought a MavMount and it's really well built but the controller is behind the screen. It's never been a real problem but I just bought the fstoppers mount where the controller is visible in front. I haven't had time to use it yet but I'm hoping the setup is better.

I started using MP in June 2017. I have now flown nearly 250 flights, in close to 40 hours on air, including 55 km of high-mountain flights above 3,000-3,500 m of altitude, up to 5,500 m. After several scary losses of signal (with the need of rebooting the phone) while flying beyond line of sight, and repeating problems with the quality of visualization I decided to dedicate my Androids (Samsung Note before and Xiaomi after) to their main use - smartphoning - and bough an Ipad Mini 4 to control my two MP birds - and that's a TOTALLY different experience, flawless and solid. And I can't stand IOS and Apple products for the rest of my digital activity. Android can also work for this task, but I prefer to forget how it did.

Use ipad4 mini moreless as dedicated for m2p. Works well its reliable, fits in rc but have no other use for it. Yes iOS file management is a nuisance at least to me...

So I have been an avid android user since my first experience with the galaxy S3 and have sworn off Apple products since then. Then I got my Spark and now MP, I've had fairly good success with Android this whole time, but kept reading post after post about the Apple and DJI experience. Once I decided that I no longer wanted to use my phone as my primary device and started searching for a dedicated DJI device, which I highly recommend to everyone, I decided I would keep an open mind. Well an offer I couldn't refuse came around and I bought myself an iPad. After several hours of trying to set it up, mostly googling how to use the **** thing, I was ready to fly. I can honestly say the entire experience is better, smoother video, faster startup time, zero singal loss or connection issues of any kind and just an all around easier time. Factor in the bigger screen and I'm actually a little upset I didn't do it sooner. I have no intention of buying any more Apple products, I still love androids customization and operating system, I'm just alot happier with my drones using this different system. I'd love to hear any comments about what you've found since you switched, or are you just as stubborn as I was and still holding strong on to the Android format?

I did the same thing. I’m a big Android user. Left Apple years ago. Not a fan. However, I did buy an iPad mini 4 to use with my Magic Pro. Works well for the most part as long as it doesn’t get hot. Then it stutters and crashes. My Android phone S9 plus doesn’t have this issue. The iPad works well, but is not perfect with the drone.

So I have been an avid android user since my first experience with the galaxy S3 and have sworn off Apple products since then. Then I got my Spark and now MP, I've had fairly good success with Android this whole time, but kept reading post after post about the Apple and DJI experience. Once I decided that I no longer wanted to use my phone as my primary device and started searching for a dedicated DJI device, which I highly recommend to everyone, I decided I would keep an open mind. Well an offer I couldn't refuse came around and I bought myself an iPad. After several hours of trying to set it up, mostly googling how to use the **** thing, I was ready to fly. I can honestly say the entire experience is better, smoother video, faster startup time, zero singal loss or connection issues of any kind and just an all around easier time. Factor in the bigger screen and I'm actually a little upset I didn't do it sooner. I have no intention of buying any more Apple products, I still love androids customization and operating system, I'm just alot happier with my drones using this different system. I'd love to hear any comments about what you've found since you switched, or are you just as stubborn as I was and still holding strong on to the Android format?

I'm no fan of Apple either but bought an iPad Mini 4 about two years ago for my Mavic Pro with the larger screen than my Samsung S7 phone. It worked so well that I caved and added an iPad Pro 64k with the 10 1/4 screen to my phone plan about six months ago. Flying with it using either Go or Litchi is a real pleasure, and I can SEE so much more of the camera video too. A friend from our flying club gave me a bracket that holds the larger iPad and controller together, so for my two cents, pretty hard to beat.

Except it isn't a fact at all.
It;'s just a very pervasive myth that is propagated andperpetuated by forum posts like: apple stuff just works better with DJI. That is a known and proven fact.
It's past time to stop pushing that line. It's not true.

The Android tablets I fly with run the app flawlessly.
Perhaps an iPad could run the app as well, but it would be impossible for an Apple device to work any better.
Actually your wrong, I'm not an avid Apple person, but every device I've ever used from Apple has performed absolutely flawless!!! From the IPod to the iPad!!! AND the iPad mini has had not one problem with any DJI product!!! So your statement that it's a myth is one hundred percent wrong!!! Show me one item that hasn't had issues with DJI,,, you can't!!! Because I've extensively researched this area before I bought!!!

Have a Mavic Pro and never had problems with my Galaxy 8+. I love my Android and Samsung but bought an IPad mini just to use with my Mavic because I wanted a larger screen.

Amusing to me that so many android fans are gritting their teeth and using iPads to fly their drones. Personally, I don’t see why they bother with android at all. I’ve had both and would rather stick with iOS across the board - Apple’s stuff just works and is so much more intuitive. Reminds me of the old PC vs Mac adage: Get a PC if you want to work on your computer; Get a Mac if you want to get work done on your computer.

Reactions: Greenflash
I have just started to use IPAD to fly MP too, the experience is very similar to what you have mention.

The only issue i encounter with Ipad, it get hot fast.

Next will be the weight.

Else it is really better to fly using Ipad.

I fly with GO4, mini 3 and 4 most of the year. But they will not tolerate the 95+ degree days of summer. They just shut down at the most inopportune time. Then it's back to Nvidia and Nexus for summer months. I'm constantly on the lookout for one of Meta4's used Huawie M3 or M5's. ;-)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spshow