DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just bought an iPad pro 😬

Hiwayman

Reactions
Because my laptop was old and I avoided taking 4k video...now I have an iPad pro coming and no idea about anything apple related 😅
Never had iPhone, always android phones and windows laptop.
This will be a steep learning curve 😅

I think you will like using the iPad. The biggest issue with almost any screen is sunlight and reflections. I have learned to bring a cleaning cloth and keep my screen clean and try to fly from within shade. I use a 12.9" ipad most of the time. I know that on at least one occasion I was able to see thin wires that I would have missed and flown into had I been using my phone.

I think you will like using the iPad. The biggest issue with almost any screen is sunlight and reflections. I have learned to bring a cleaning cloth and keep my screen clean and try to fly from within shade. I use a 12.9" ipad most of the time. I know that on at least one occasion I was able to see thin wires that I would have missed and flown into had I been using my phone.
I have a 5yr-old 12.9" gen 2 iPad Pro. I've read about the iPad dimming problems and I wasn't even going to try to use mine. Your slightly qualified success story is the first iPad success story I've seen. Do you think I'd be happy using my iPad or would I be better off going straight into a higher-end controller with a screen?

Thank you akdrone
I don't intend to fly with this, purely an editing tool, but good to hear your experiences ..👍

Thank you akdrone
I don't intend to fly with this, purely an editing tool, but good to hear your experiences ..👍
First, the jump from Android to Apple isn't that huge, though Apple has its idiosyncrasies. We have iPads, but honestly I don't see them as editing tools... but that's me.

However, IMO you should get yourself a good tablet holder that attaches to your drone's controller. You will really appreciate the visual real estate that you get over flying with a phone. I received an iPad Mini6 for my birthday and really enjoy using it instead of my phone though it takes another minute or two to set up everything to deploy my drone.

I have a 5yr-old 12.9" gen 2 iPad Pro. I've read about the iPad dimming problems and I wasn't even going to try to use mine. Your slightly qualified success story is the first iPad success story I've seen. Do you think I'd be happy using my iPad or would I be better off going straight into a higher-end controller with a screen?
Based on the numbers shown in this list, it should work very well:

The Smart Controller is a huge improvement over a phone, in case anyone is thinking of that, in their budget. It is a very bright screen at 1,000 NITS. I went one step further and now have the SC, and for those extremely bright days (like when I was in the Austrian Alps in summer and could not see my iphone screen at all), I bought the amazingly bright Feelworld 7 inch monitor model FW279S I believe, which plugs HDMI on the monitor to the HDMI port on the SC. They also offer a touch screen version now for a little bit more.

This monitor is an incredible 2,200 NITS of brightness, and is light in weight and only cost about $235 new. I paid $170 on ebay for an open box sale. I choose to show only my camera through this monitor screen (You have a choice of a mirror image of your controller or just the camera view) and leave all the other details about the flight, on my controller screen.

This is probably s little more than what you were asking for but for those with the budget wanting the brightest for a lowish cost, there is nothing to beat this setup.

You won't be happy , get an RC pro or the new RC that will come with the new Mini 3 when released, byt it's all depending on compatibility of your drone. Good luck and happy flying

I was using my mini and it was nice to have the larger screen but I had to avoid the sun if I wanted to see the screen. When I purchased the M3 I also purchased the RC Pro, the screen is awesome and I don't mind that the screen is a bit smaller than the iPad mini. A couple of days ago I purchased the iPad Pro 12.9 inch series 5 for my travel computer, the screen is awesome with the 1,000 to 1,500 nits. No more standing in the shade to see my screens.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661