DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone storage issue

Rabber

Reactions
I was flying today and received a message that my iPhone storage was full. (My SD card was improperly inserted and not working at the time.)
The DJI app was hogging my memory. My question is: When I open the DJI app and select "Album" I see my videos under the DJIfly section. When I select a video I see "not downloaded". What does this mean? How do I download it. If I download it will it free up memory? Where do I download it to?

Also, under settings on my phone I see the DJI fly app. When I select this, I see "DJIFlightrecord_***". What is this? How do I make use of it? If I delete it, will I I free up some memory.?

In short, How do I manage memory usage with my phone and the DJI Fly app? Thanks guys

Storage full - need to delete photos/files/unused apps from phone
Not downloaded - means cached video, low resolution versions of videos stored on the sd card
Download video - probably wont happen as you mentioned sd card was not working properly, but to download to phone click on the downward arrow on the top left of the video thumbnail.
Flight record - fly app keeps track of your flights, you can view these in fly app under profile - more - then tap on a date
To manage - Best practice is to copy photos/videos from sd card to pc, especially if phone used for flying is your daily use phone. Then delete the files from your phone once you have all the files you want to keep.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barbara
There are a multitude of ways to download photos and video from the iphone to a computer or external storage device. You should regularly do this as any storage media has a finite limit on capacity to store images or video. Google "download pictures from iPhone".

You don;t mention how much memory your phone has, but it will likely never be enough.

Chanc3, gave you some good answers to your questions. I would only add that, if you can, always use a computer to store your original videos from the SD card. The low res versions on your phone can be deleted.

The flight records are something I like to keep. I download them regularly to my PC and use Applications like AirData UAV to view the logs. This can be particularly useful for troubleshooting. The files are small, so not really a concern for taking up memory, but I do delete them from my device after downloading.

I ran out of internal memory on my iPhone and it was not due to photos but rather logs of old flights. I deleted the app and reinstalled it. Problem solved for me as I don’t care about the old flights.

Reactions: dozzn
I am having a similar issue. I continually get the “iPhone storage full” alert while flying. Annoying as minimum, but not safe because I have to tell it in the middle of the flight “not now”. When this happens, it will not record any of the low resolution previews from the DJI app album.

I have iPhone 11 with 64 g. Mavic Air 2, all updates both iOS and firmware.

So, I went into my settings, general, iPhone storage, to manage my usage. I see that the DJI app always uses up the largest portion of my available memory. I went in and deleted all of my old flight records and all of my old DJI data and everything I could find from February & March when I first got the drone. Although this lowered it, the next time I flew, it raised it right back up and even increase it to my maximum 64 gigs again. Currently 50 of my 64 gigs are used up by DJI app, this is a continually non-ending problem.

I already upgraded my iPhone back-up (even before I owed a drone) to add 50 gigs for $1 per month, and I see I can upgrade for $3 a month to 200-g or even 2-terabyte for $10 a month, But I feel if I do that it will just continue raising to the max, and kick the can down the road. I feel that there is something i can do or change in my settings that could/should fix this longer term.

I do see some people offloaded the app and then reloaded the app and it supposedly corrected it but then others say it’s just a temporary correction and the problem comes back.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a way to manage this memory more efficiently? Also, if I offload (or even deleted) the app and reload the app do I also lose any of my configuration settings and what troubles getting back? I have all of my DJI photos backed up on a hard drive on a computer so I’m not worried about losing any of those.

Thanks in advance.

I can answer part of your question. About a month ago I was having some quirky issues with my Air2s and DJI told me to delete the app and reinstall it. After the re-installation, all my configuration settings were the same as before.

I went into my settings, general, iPhone storage, to manage my usage. I see that the DJI app always uses up the largest portion of my available memory.

I went in and deleted all of my old flight records and all of my old DJI data and everything I could find from February & March when I first got the drone.

Although this lowered it, the next time I flew, it raised it right back up and even increase it to my maximum 64 gigs again.Currently 50 of my 64 gigs are used up by DJI app, this is a continually non-ending problem.

I already upgraded my iPhone back-up (even before I owed a drone to add 50 gigs for $1 per month, and I see I can upgrade for $3 a month to 200-g or even 2-terabyte for $10 a month.

But I feel if I do that it will just continue raising to the max, and kick the can down the road.
I feel that there is something i can do or change in my settings that could/should fix this longer term.

I do see some people offloaded the app and then reloaded the app and it supposedly corrected it but then others say it’s just a temporary correction and the problem comes back.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a way to manage this memory more efficiently.
Also, if I offload or even deleted the app and reload the app do I also lose any of my configuration settings and what troubles getting back.

I have all of my DJI photos backed up on a hard drive on a computer so I’m not worried about losing any of those.

custom bottled water

I’m confused about this, and maybe wrong, but look in DJI Fly, under “Settings/Sync Flight Data/Auto Sync Flight Data”:
I believe if this is turned OFF, your phone storage gets used up quickly;
If turned ON, then certain large files are deleted (sync’d somewhere else) with each new flight, so storage is not used up so quickly. Downside: if you want stuff from those files, as I did, they are, well, gone 🥺
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can confirm or deny, and shed more light on this 😊

I have an iPhone 11 max and right now my DJI Fly app is using 841.3 MB if that’s any help to you. My phone is also 64 GB.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunatico028