DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is a 12.9" iPad Pro just ridiculous as a drone screen?

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
I currently fly my Mavic Air 2 with my iPhone 7 plus, but I'm finding the screen too dim, and it also gives me the "CPU fully loaded" message.

I'd been hoping there may be an iPad Mini on the horizon to replace it as a screen, but thinking about it, I'd rather use a phone (but that won't be until September).

I do actually NEED a new iPad for work (Photography folio, video apps etc), so I have my eye on the M1 iPad Pro 12.9" for many reasons - but especially the screen (For size and brightness). And I'm thinking that at 1000 NITS, it would be VERY handy outdoors for drone usage.

But Is there even a way to mount it? Would I hate my life having such a heavy tablet attached to my controller?

I currently fly my Mavic Air 2 with my iPhone 7 plus, but I'm finding the screen too dim, and it also gives me the "CPU fully loaded" message.

I'd been hoping there may be an iPad Mini on the horizon to replace it as a screen, but thinking about it, I'd rather use a phone (but that won't be until September).

I do actually NEED a new iPad for work (Photography folio, video apps etc), so I have my eye on the M1 iPad Pro 12.9" for many reasons - but especially the screen (For size and brightness). And I'm thinking that at 1000 NITS, it would be VERY handy outdoors for drone usage.

But Is there even a way to mount it? Would I hate my life having such a heavy tablet attached to my controller?
I think an Ipad mini would be better.....I'm waiting for the Ipad Mini 6 to come out......I think an Ipad Mini 5 would be better than a Ipad pro....
A big Ipad pro would be too heavy and feel off balance..

I don't fly with either, i use a Tripltek Pro but there is a chap on here
who uses an Ipad pro called Dale d from Miami and he posts some lovely
videos and loves his Ipad pro. Might be worth a PM to him.

Fully understand. The new iPad Pro 12.9 M-1 has my eye as well. Planning on ordering one next Friday. The 1600 nit brightness will be awesome. As for the weight, it only weighs 1.5 lbs. At age 69, I need a big and bright screen. No problem on mounting. Polar Pro has a real nice one. Have been using the iPad 11 inch with no problem other than the 600 nit brightness. Looking forward to using the 12.9 New iPad Pro.

My advice if you decide to do that is get some kind of lanyard to hold some of the weight of the remote with iPad. It will be a bit unwieldy but plenty of people do it.

My advice if you decide to do that is get some kind of lanyard to hold some of the weight of the remote with iPad. It will be a bit unwieldy but plenty of people do it.
Ben, yes on the lanyard. Was planning on using so I do not drop it plus to take some of the weight. As mentioned above, the new iPad Pro only weighs 1 1/2 pounds. I have used the 12.9 older generation iPads before but they to had the 600 nit brightness. The 1600 brightness will be awesome. Thanks.

Reactions: Bradders71
The ipad mini4 etc fits nicely into the std DJI controllers, pretty sure the A2 is that size.
I use my mini4 this way 90% of flights, and a Lifthor mount when flying a lot more through a day, just leave it set up.

I think some of the later mini ipads have brighter specs too ?

I feel the mini ipad sizes are ideal, much larger and easier to see than a phone, (more info displays on my Go4 app), but not too large that you have to look too far to see everything.

You could use the larger device, but just need a suitable size mount, preferably with a lanyard setup so you can work better with it and not get too tired in the arms if flying a lot in one go.
Try and find a mount / lanyard setup with attachment points at both sides, a single central lanyard like the Lifthor has its concerns to me, I need to be a lot more careful if letting it go to free my hands briefly during flight.

Reactions: Bradders71

iPad in Skyreat Holder-rear view.jpgiPad in Skyreat Holder.jpgiPad on Skyreat Stand.jpgI have been using this set up for 3 years, first with the Mavic Air 1 and then with my beloved Mavic 2 Pro. Love the big screen.

Dale

Miami

For me, brightness is the key. The brightest screen would be my choice, and I would work around all the other problems to get it. For video and photo work, being able to see the shot clearly makes all the difference.

I'm using the iPad Pro 11" and I love it. I haven't really had a problem with the weight. It's nice to be able to see everything a lot easier than my iPhone 12 Pro. Being old I love the size. I did buy a sun hood for it but not using it a lot.

Reactions: Thanohano44
Fully understand. The new iPad Pro 12.9 M-1 has my eye as well. Planning on ordering one next Friday. The 1600 nit brightness will be awesome. As for the weight, it only weighs 1.5 lbs. At age 69, I need a big and bright screen. No problem on mounting. Polar Pro has a real nice one. Have been using the iPad 11 inch with no problem other than the 600 nit brightness. Looking forward to using the 12.9 New iPad Pro.

First, you better reread Apple’s Specs on the new iPad... Quote: “ Apple says the 12.9-inch iPad Pro can reach 1,000 nits of full-screen brightness — on par with the ultra-expensive Pro Display XDR — and portions of the screen can hit an eye-searing 1,600 nits when playing HDR content.”

Now, the 1.000 nits is adequate for flying, I fly with a 1,000 nit TriplTek, but having flown with a 2018 iPad Pro 11 inch be prepared for terrible reflections!! If you go this route I highly recommend you go to MYGOFLIGHT and check out their ARMOR GLASS. It’s the best anti glare/smudge resistant screen protector I’ve found!!

I got the IPad mini-4 and like it. It appeared to me that anything larger would be too heavy for me. Also, the larger screens will have to cover the control panel which I am not sure that I would like.

Hello Ben:

I fly my Mavic Air 2 and Mini 2 with either an iPhone 11 Pro or an iPad 12.9 Pro (3rd gen). The iPhone is convenient, easy to pack and what I use when bikepacking, hiking or flying casually “spur of the moment”. But it’s small screen is hard to see and I find I miss a lot of detail when composing image capture or video.

The 12.9” iPad is big, cumbersome, hard to carry around and what I use for serious flight, photography and video. It’s tremendous screen is rich, shows many times the detail of the iPhone and feels like I’m using a large format camera for landscape photography. I have two mounts for it. A Mavmount Scout with the 130 - 230 clamp and a Thor’s Drone World Lifthor Baldur. Both of these mounts hold the large iPad well and work smoothly with lanyards. I feel the Baldur is slightly more secure but time consuming to mount while the Scout is slightly less secure but mounts and dismounts easily.

When flying at a known location with a specific image or video clip in mind, I’ll often fly while sitting in a camp chair with the controller and iPad on my knees. I find the more stable position helpful for getting good composition and waiting for a particular lighting condition.

If you decide to purchase the Scout, ther is a helpful Buyer’s Guide that explains the different clamps. Also, I’d recommend getting the optional Air Lock Screws for a more secure mount.

I did not choose the iPad 12.9 as a monitor for flying drones, rather I had the large iPad and adapted it for flying after I acquired my Mavic Air 2. As others have mentioned above, if your primary desire is a tablet specifically for flying the iPad Mini is more convenient and possibly easier to use.

Howard

Reactions: RobW01
I guise both the iPhone and a regular 10"iPad. I have the DJI iPad holder and my iPad Pro 11 inch does not fit. It is too big by a fraction of an inch. Can you find a holder for the biggest iPad Pro?

Hello Ben:

I fly my Mavic Air 2 and Mini 2 with either an iPhone 11 Pro or an iPad 12.9 Pro (3rd gen). The iPhone is convenient, easy to pack and what I use when bikepacking, hiking or flying casually “spur of the moment”. But it’s small screen is hard to see and I find I miss a lot of detail when composing image capture or video.

The 12.9” iPad is big, cumbersome, hard to carry around and what I use for serious flight, photography and video. It’s tremendous screen is rich, shows many times the detail of the iPhone and feels like I’m using a large format camera for landscape photography. I have two mounts for it. A Mavmount Scout with the 130 - 230 clamp and a Thor’s Drone World Lifthor Baldur. Both of these mounts hold the large iPad well and work smoothly with lanyards. I feel the Baldur is slightly more secure but time consuming to mount while the Scout is slightly less secure but mounts and dismounts easily.

When flying at a known location with a specific image or video clip in mind, I’ll often fly while sitting in a camp chair with the controller and iPad on my knees. I find the more stable position helpful for getting good composition and waiting for a particular lighting condition.

If you decide to purchase the Scout, ther is a helpful Buyer’s Guide that explains the different clamps. Also, I’d recommend getting the optional Air Lock Screws for a more secure mount.

I did not choose the iPad 12.9 as a monitor for flying drones, rather I had the large iPad and adapted it for flying after I acquired my Mavic Air 2. As others have mentioned above, if your primary desire is a tablet specifically for flying the iPad Mini is more convenient and possibly easier to use.

Howard
Agree. The iPad Pro 12.9 is heavy but either named mount will handle it. Mine is an older model, and not nearly as bright as the latest model. The screen ’real estate’ is great for composition.

Reactions: Howard70
I've been using a I-,pad pro for awhile although I haven't measured it. Yes there are adapters available. I love it. Yes it is a little off balance. I got used to it and you will too! Enjoy!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661